Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:49 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,206,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I discussed in an earlier post that I did receive "disability" in NY. It capped out at around 250 per week before taxes were taken out no matter how much your salary was (that would most likely determine how much you put in). When I returned to work I had to repay my firm my medical and dental payments I missed for the 6 paychecks which resulted in a wash. I think our country can do better for our hard working women.
California state disability caps out around $1000 a week. I really think they should do something for the country following the same set-up California has.

Everybody pays in and it's good for up to a year off due to almost any "short term" disability that keeps you from working. (Maternity, the flu, cancer, etc.) Because everybody pays in, workers at the lower levels pay something like $1 a week. It's really cheap and almost everyone needs it at one point or another, even if it's just for a really bad case of the flu.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/Abo...I)_Program.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...lity_Insurance

Last edited by UB50; 09-17-2016 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 11:50 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Trump has unveiled his policy and said that existing unemployment insurance will be used . Conservatives are a bit confused as this will shift the cost to the employer, who will in turn hire less people.

Thoughts? Is the GOP's pivot to the left really happening?
His ideas, as I see them are strictly out of a liberal book about turning the country into a government run society with everyone in debt to the government. I do like the idea of maturity pay for a short period of time and of course we know this is coming, one way of the other. I also like the idea, it leaves Clinton no where to go or nothing to say. I also think much of what he said would never get through congress, so I am not worried about how crazy it might be.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,904,346 times
Default Child Care.

Freeze all social benefits to any Illegal aliens and none citizens do not issue one cent from the Treasury . Under s a strong Economy there be less people on Welfare of Unemployment so those monies could be diverted.

Tax exemptions to all Child care centers to provide lower cost to parents, basically make all daycare non profit.

It is do able if we pull from other areas we spend money not so wisely.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:15 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,206,921 times
Quote:
No I am not. I do not believe a tax deduction is having others subsidize anything. I get deductions on my mortgage interest and real estate taxes, are you subsidizing my home?

Yes we are, because there is no deduction for people who pay rent. The mortgage interest deduction is the biggest form of welfare the government pays out. It's just another entitlement that everyone pays for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_welfare_state

The hidden welfare state refers to tax expenditures (deductions) with social welfare objectives: tax deductions for retirement saving, charitable contributions, higher education, and the home mortgage interest deduction. All of these deductions benefit constituencies with considerable disposable income

Old 09-17-2016, 12:30 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,989,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
[/b]

Yes we are, because there is no deduction for people who pay rent. The mortgage interest deduction is the biggest form of welfare the government pays out. It's just another entitlement that everyone pays for.

The hidden welfare state refers to tax expenditures (deductions) with social welfare objectives: tax deductions for retirement saving, charitable contributions, higher education, and the home mortgage interest deduction. All of these deductions benefit constituencies with considerable disposable income
I see all those things as rewarding people for doing good. Retirement savings benefits us all. Otherwise, tax payers would be paying MORE for elderly. Higher education is a benefit for us all. Same with charity. Homeownership the same. Do we want a country where all citizens live in government funded housing. What is wrong with rewarding high achievers? Sure, the mega wealthy probably need less but the upper middle class and middle class people who struggling to pay these taxes deserve a little break at tax time.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:33 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,989,674 times
Quote:
I see all those things as rewarding people for doing good. Retirement savings benefits us all. Otherwise, tax payers would be paying MORE for elderly. Higher education is a benefit for us all. Same with charity. Homeownership the same. Do we want a country where all citizens live in government funded housing. What is wrong with rewarding high achievers? Sure, the mega wealthy probably need less but the upper middle class and middle class people who struggling to pay these taxes deserve a little break at tax time.
Also, I did not own my own home until 4 years ago. I rented for years. Never once did I complain that homeowners got to deduct interest and taxes. It was a perk I was looking forward to as I saved in order to buy my first home. It was incentive for me to work harder and save more.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:37 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,331,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Really? So you are against public schools as well? Everyone should pay out of pocket for schools if they want children instead of government ensuring that children are given the best possible start in life?
Sorry to break this to you, but YES I'm opposed to public schools because education should be run like a business in the free enterprise system. Having children isn't a right ... and even if it was a right, with rights come responsibilities. Those who procreate without the financial means to do so are burdens on the government, which isn't being responsible. Besides, my reasons for being against public education go beyond that, such as: private schools are generally higher quality than even the better public schools. If parents really cared about giving children the best start in life, they would invest in a good private school instead of plunking them in a mediocre public school & mooching off the taxpayers.

Quote:
The government, economy and nation are totally reliant on people having children, and especially highly educated people having children.
Well, educated people are the ones who are having the fewest children. The ones who are having the most kids are those in the lower income brackets, and often are the most unfit parents. In other words, the leeches in society are the breeders.

Quote:
When we are making it increasingly impossible for women to have children (company provided child care and parental leave policies are often times a big joke and woefully inadequate) we all suffer the consequences. Whats so great about that?
What do you consider woefully inadequate? Anytime a company takes the initiative to provide parental and/or family medical leave for the employees, it's a lot better than having the government involved. 30 or 40 years ago, there was hardly any kind of time off provided by corporations for this purpose. Nowadays, almost all sizeable companies offer this benefit. If somebody happens to be employed by a small business that doesn't provide maternity/parental/family leave, then that's not the government's problem. The employee should work for a company that does provide this benefit. Even then, if the person can't afford to have kids, he/she shouldn't be having them!

Quote:
The government's responsibility should absolutely be to ensure children are educated and are given crucial time with their mothers in their early development. This idea that government should only serve the super rich and the people should suffer is against human nature.
Government should have a limited role in our lives. It's not the government's responsibility to supposedly take care of all the breeders & their rugrats. I'm sorry that you believe the government is there to help & protect everybody, when it ends up doing the opposite.

Quote:
The children are subsidizing your lifestyle as you get older, so whats so bad about that?
How are they subsidizing anything? Children don't work or contribute anything to society except being born. Once they become adults, get jobs, and become productive members of society, only then should we be talking about how much they're entitled to. Until then, it should be the parents/guardians/family members (not taxpayers) who are responsible for a child's upbringing.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:23 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,324,123 times
When are people going to get it? Trump is pandering and means nothing he says and actually lies about his own company. I cannot believe how gullible people are. He's going to propose laws for business policy that he does not even provide himself? I would bet that he only proposed it because Ivanka said to, but he does not have a clue what his own company policies are.

"...The Huffington Post checked in on key Trump Organization properties, including the Mar-A-Largo Club in Florida, Trump SoHo, and other New York and Miami locations of Trump’s. All of them said that employees are not offered paid maternity leave.

They are however eligible for what every other worker in America is eligible for, up to 12 weeks unpaid maternity leave for either the adoption or birth of a child, under the Family and Medical Leave Act.

Ivanka Trump Claims Donald Trump Provides Paid Family Leave, Trump Employees Say, No He Doesn

Video: Ivanka Wrong on Paid Leave

Ivanka Got the Trump Organization

Old 09-17-2016, 02:34 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,331,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
When are people going to get it? Trump is pandering and means nothing he says and actually lies about his own company. I cannot believe how gullible people are.
Of course he's pandering. Hillary is too. They're politicians, and that's what they do best. I don't trust either of them, and that's why I'm voting for a third party candidate who isn't the most qualified person to be President, but at least he's a breath of fresh air compared to the Hill and the Trumpster. Either way you look at it, the gullible people of this country will elect one of the two chosen bozos to become our next leader, which is quite scary when you think about it.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:08 PM

50,494 posts, read 64,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
[/b]

The rate of your rent is determined by the amount of money your landlord has to pay to at least break even. Did you think a landlord is renting to you, and absorbing some costs to give you a benefit? He is getting he deduction, because he has put up the money up front, and he pays the property taxes, not you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections