Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the current health information too invasive?
Yes 4 36.36%
No 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Are we unreasonable in what we expect a candidate to disclose about their medical history? It seems that if we were asked for this information to apply for a job we would be crying foul at this violation.

Seeing health is a concern how about candidates receive a physical at a military hospital same as those choosing to serve and the physician can then disclose if they are qualified or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 11:56 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I personally think a candidates health, mental and physical should be a high priority. Being the President is one of the most demanding jobs on the planet. Just look at how it ages past Presidents as well as Obama. I also personally believe there should be an age limit like no older than 60.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:58 AM

/\

But would you accept a military physical were an individual either passes or they don't? How can we restrict a candidate to age 60 when the same practice in the private sector is against federal law as age discrimination?

Old 09-15-2016, 12:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Are we unreasonable in what we expect a candidate to disclose about their medical history? It seems that if we were asked for this information to apply for a job we would be crying foul at this violation.

Seeing health is a concern how about candidates receive a physical at a military hospital same as those choosing to serve and the physician can then disclose if they are qualified or not.
I like this idea. One doctor, the same tests, same labs, pass or fail. No need to get into the nitty gritty details.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:21 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

It's absolutely wrong. We are a country of busybodies.

There are 3 qualifications for running for president per the constitution.

at least 35 years old
natural born citizen
14 years of residency

You should only have to produce documentation to prove those 3.

Should good health become a qualification or pays sufficient taxes or anything else, the constitution should be amended to state exactly what constitutes good health and exactly what constitutes sufficient payment of taxes. Someone should then stipulate what documentation data is required to prove it.

Look, Hillary Clinton can produce some lab test results from an examination and Reporter # 1 can say it shows she's in good health and Reporter # 2 can look at the exact same results and say it shows she isn't. And who is the poobah who judges what is sufficient taxes?

Nobody should give the media/public any of it. That also includes speech transcripts, college transcripts, driving records, how much the candidates tip the pizza delivery guy, etc.

This is why we have Vice Presidents and Speakers of the House. Just ask Morgan Freeman or Glenn Close.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's absolutely wrong. We are a country of busybodies.

There are 3 qualifications for running for president per the constitution.

at least 35 years old
natural born citizen
14 years of residency

You should only have to produce documentation to prove those 3.

Should good health become a qualification or pays sufficient taxes or anything else, the constitution should be amended to state exactly what constitutes good health and exactly what constitutes sufficient payment of taxes. Someone should then stipulate what documentation data is required to prove it.

Look, Hillary Clinton can produce some lab test results from an examination and Reporter # 1 can say it shows she's in good health and Reporter # 2 can look at the exact same results and say it shows she isn't. And who is the poobah who judges what is sufficient taxes?

Nobody should give the media/public any of it. That also includes speech transcripts, college transcripts, driving records, how much the candidates tip the pizza delivery guy, etc.

This is why we have Vice Presidents and Speakers of the House. Just ask Morgan Freeman or Glenn Close.
I agree but like a genie let free from the bottle everyone is clambering for medical records, tax returns, bank statements etc. its ridicules.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
A candidate's health is important, but if someone is 40 then their health is less important to me than someone that is 70.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
They should have a full physical on-stage before the first debate... Before the second debate they should be psychoanalyzed on stage.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:15 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I don't need to see the records. Hillary's actions are for me enough health disclosure to see she is not healthy enough for the job.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:35 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
A candidate's health is important, but if someone is 40 then their health is less important to me than someone that is 70.
Not to me. It can really depend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
They should have a full physical on-stage before the first debate... Before the second debate they should be psychoanalyzed on stage.
Yeah, that would cut down the number of viewers, so I don't see that happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't need to see the records. Hillary's actions are for me enough health disclosure to see she is not healthy enough for the job.
In Hillary's case, IF she is healthy, it would have benefited her to prove it because what we have seen provides more than enough evidence that she is not healthy enough to be a competent POTUS. It is the "sum" of the incidents and that they continue and seem to be becoming more severe that she could have turned around.

The drugs used to keep her going become less effective with time. It isn't pretty and it is going to get a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections