Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times

Advertisements

I've been fascinated watching Trump tug and pull at the boundaries of Republicanism. I never thought an honest to goodness RINO would ever get past the conservative firewall in this country.

I like the fact that Trump is ideology-lite and more interested in repairing the damage done to this country by our last two presidents, and like a lot of Republicans and Independents I tend to think his baggage is either overly exaggerated by the liberals in the MSM or not the kind of thing that would leave him open to political blackmail like the Clinton Foundation.

Bloomberg View takes a look at Trump's effect on the GOP -

"Over the span of two days, the Republican nominee for president has proposed new child-care subsidies, new mandatory benefits to be provided by business, the removal of millions of families from the income-tax rolls, and an increase in tax rates on single people making from $112,500 to $190,000 a year. Oh, and he put in a good word for Medicaid too, leaving the impression with many people that he favors expanding it."

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...m-litmus-tests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:11 PM

491 posts, read 319,727 times
What pisses me off to no end is that the far-right has long trashed good men (and loyal Republicans) such as Bob Dole, John McCain, and Mitt Romney for being RINOs, sellouts, losers, etc. Then along comes Trump--who not only has been pro-choice and pro-socialized medicine, but also has given money to many different Democratic politicians--and he is the darling of many of those on the far-right. IMO, this hypocrisy is beyond embarrassing, because Trump is one of the biggest RINOs ever (and could care less about the conservative movement).

Old 09-18-2016, 02:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I've been fascinated watching Trump tug and pull at the boundaries of Republicanism. I never thought an honest to goodness RINO would ever get past the conservative firewall in this country.

I like the fact that Trump is ideology-lite and more interested in repairing the damage done to this country by our last two presidents, and like a lot of Republicans and Independents I tend to think his baggage is either overly exaggerated by the liberals in the MSM or not the kind of thing that would leave him open to political blackmail like the Clinton Foundation.

Bloomberg View takes a look at Trump's effect on the GOP -

"Over the span of two days, the Republican nominee for president has proposed new child-care subsidies, new mandatory benefits to be provided by business, the removal of millions of families from the income-tax rolls, and an increase in tax rates on single people making from $112,500 to $190,000 a year. Oh, and he put in a good word for Medicaid too, leaving the impression with many people that he favors expanding it."

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...m-litmus-tests
Its been, what, 32 years since the GOP nominated someone who wasn't a RINO for President? Look at the Congressional leadership on the GOP side. There's something in the House called the Freedom Caucus, made of more conservative members. Its membership was something like 40 of 247 Republicans in the House. The party leadership ostracizes true conservatives like Cruz and Mike Lee.

You're right that Trump is not conservative, but he's no less conservative than the party leaders.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:43 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
You're right that Trump is not conservative, but he's no less conservative than the party leaders.
Yeah,pretty much.....

Old 09-18-2016, 02:58 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
They should have dealt with him in the primaries. The people wanted him.

Maybe the people that voted for him are not that conservative.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:51 PM

491 posts, read 319,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Its been, what, 32 years since the GOP nominated someone who wasn't a RINO for President? Look at the Congressional leadership on the GOP side. There's something in the House called the Freedom Caucus, made of more conservative members. Its membership was something like 40 of 247 Republicans in the House. The party leadership ostracizes true conservatives like Cruz and Mike Lee.

I respectfully disagree. While many party leaders (and past GOP nominees) have deviated from conservative orthodoxy, none have flip-flopped to the degree Trump has. And as far as I know, Trump is the only major Republican leader who has repeatedly given money to Democratic candidates.

I have no problem with people who demand strict adherence to conservative principles. However, if that's the criteria for judging a candidate, then the GOP nominee should have been Cruz instead of Trump. Thus, I don't get upset when Cruz supporters label Dole, McCain, Romney, et. al. as RINOs. However, Trump supporters are total hypocrites if they make the same accusation.

This whole election cycle has really illuminated which of the conservative radio hosts and columnists truly care about the cause and which of them do not. That is why I have great respect for folks like Glenn Beck and Erick Erickson. However, I think that Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Eric Bolling, and (above all) Sean Hannity are total sellouts.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:15 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
I respectfully disagree. While many party leaders (and past GOP nominees) have deviated from conservative orthodoxy, none have flip-flopped to the degree Trump has. And as far as I know, Trump is the only major Republican leader who has repeatedly given money to Democratic candidates.

I have no problem with people who demand strict adherence to conservative principles. However, if that's the criteria for judging a candidate, then the GOP nominee should have been Cruz instead of Trump. Thus, I don't get upset when Cruz supporters label Dole, McCain, Romney, et. al. as RINOs. However, Trump supporters are total hypocrites if they make the same accusation.

This whole election cycle has really illuminated which of the conservative radio hosts and columnists truly care about the cause and which of them do not. That is why I have great respect for folks like Glenn Beck and Erick Erickson. However, I think that Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Eric Bolling, and (above all) Sean Hannity are total sellouts.
Good post. America just wasn't interested in a conservative candidate this year. Scott Walker was arguably the most conservative candidate but despite a sucessful gubernatorial stint generated no interest with the public.

My first thought was Obama really did change this country by pushing it more to the left, but IMO the answer is simpler than that. I think America is sick of ideologues and has no interest in another 8 years of an ideology driven presidency.

People want things fixed, Trump has a solid record of accomplishments. People are sick of PC and so is Trump...he hit a nerve in this country that is way deeper than the MSM is willing to acknowledge.

The GOP will have to be very careful fighting Trump if he wins...he'll be able to declare he has a mandate and either the GOP can get on board or get thrown out in the midterms.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Trump has a solid record of accomplishments.
Specifically - list those where he has not used govt tax breaks, illegal workers, offshore manufacturing, and bankrupcy laws stealing from the honest citizen to further his "success:"

Old 09-18-2016, 09:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
Quote:
What pisses me off to no end is that the far-right has long trashed good men (and loyal Republicans) such as Bob Dole, John McCain, and Mitt Romney for being RINOs, sellouts, losers, etc. Then along comes Trump--who not only has been pro-choice and pro-socialized medicine, but also has given money to many different Democratic politicians--and he is the darling of many of those on the far-right. IMO, this hypocrisy is beyond embarrassing, because Trump is one of the biggest RINOs ever (and could care less about the conservative movement).
It's very frustrating.

I watched a great leader and statesman, Richard Lugar, get taken out in a primary for being a "RINO," in favor of a nutcase, Richard Mourdock, who lost the general election to the Democrat, Joe Donnelly.

Now, I am a Democrat, but I voted for Senator Lugar every time he was on the ballot. Leaders like him transcend parties.

In case you forgot, Mourdock was the moron who said: "I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

Good thing the Repulicans kicked a good man like Lugar to the curb for an idiot like Mourdock. All because Senator Lugar actually worked with Democrats and President Obama on things like nuclear proliferation. Oh no, we can't have that!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Trump is the only major Republican leader who has repeatedly given money to Democratic candidates.
When was Trump a Republican "leader?" He was building resorts. He has said he paid everybody. As to why he gets a pass, the Republican electorate has been promised governing on "conservative principles" for 30 years. Nothing of the sort has happened. If Trump can deliver on half of what he has promised on his two key initatives immigration and security, that is good enough for most of us. he can have his paid maternity leave; which is happening anyway across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections