Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times

Advertisements

This has been touched on in several threads with lots of opinions. Now there's a full article with input on both sides on yahoo, written by the AP which may be good for a read, specific details of not wearing an American flag lapel pin, not holding his hand over his heart during the natinal anthem, and Michelle Obama's comments along with Obama's explanation for his actions. It looks like a really good article to centralize the talk of the patriotism of Obama:

Obama may face grilling on patriotism - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Some Clips:
"Sen. Barack Obama's refusal to wear an American flag lapel pin along with a photo of him not putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem led conservatives on Internet and in the media to question his patriotism. "

"Officials with the McCain campaign and the Republican Party say they won't be suggesting Obama is less than patriotic, and instead plan to focus their criticisms on his record and inexperience if he wins the nomination. Well-funded outside groups, however, consider anything fair game."

"Last summer, Obama was photographed by Time magazine at an event in Iowa standing with his hands folded during the national anthem. His primary rivals Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson appear beside him, with their hands on their hearts."

""I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest. Instead, I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great and, hopefully, that will be a testimony to my patriotism," Obama said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,732 times
Non issue for me, with my parents retiring soon along with the possible loss of health insurance and rising tuition, franky I could care less if he wears a pin or not.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:04 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
My father voted for Obama in the primary. He noticed the pin and then he noticed it was gone.

I don't think he'll vote for Obama in the General Election. Patriotism means a lot to him because he is retired military.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 AM

240 posts, read 475,137 times
Yeah the country has more serious problems than worrying whether or not he wears a flag pin. And the reason why he doesn't wear the pin is because a lot of people abuse the flag pin by only wearing it to pretend to be patriotic while their actions and beliefs are unpatriotic (like George W Bush).

Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptik View Post
Yeah the country has more serious problems than worrying whether or not he wears a flag pin. And the reason why he doesn't wear the pin is because a lot of people abuse the flag pin by only wearing it to pretend to be patriotic while their actions and beliefs are unpatriotic (like George W Bush).
Exactly.
Clothes do not make the man.
It takes more than staging to demonstrate patriotism, let alone true leadership.
On May 2, 2003, President George Bush wore a flight suit, declared that "major combat operations have ended" and stood under a sign that said "Mission Accomplished."
How many men, women and children have been killed or maimed since then?
Talk about empty gestures.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:20 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying the cross." -Sinclair Lewis

To not vote for someone because he doesn't wear a silly pin or make the correct hand gestures is VERY unpatriotic and narrow-minded.

It proves you care so little about real issues facing this country that you're ready to sell out for a symbol.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying the cross." -Sinclair Lewis

To not vote for someone because he doesn't wear a silly pin or make the correct hand gestures is VERY unpatriotic and narrow-minded.

It proves you care so little about real issues facing this country that you're ready to sell out for a symbol.
But don't you understand that this is what the GOP will focus on and this will be the defeat of Barack Obama. He had better get that pin back on his lapel NOW. If anyone thought the swiftboating of John Kerry was bad????

Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Can someone who actually believes a label on a man determines his core beliefs explain to me why we spent so much time and effort prosecuting Saddam Hussein? After all, if labels made the man we coud've just tattooed "America's Friend" on his forehead and sent him down the road.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can someone who actually believes a label on a man determines his core beliefs explain to me why we spent so much time and effort prosecuting Saddam Hussein? After all, if labels made the man we coud've just tattooed "America's Friend" on his forehead and sent him down the road.
Well, he was our friend during the Iran/Iraq war ...

Old 02-24-2008, 06:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
But don't you understand that this is what the GOP will focus on and this will be the defeat of Barack Obama. He had better get that pin back on his lapel NOW. If anyone thought the swiftboating of John Kerry was bad????
I for one hope he doesn't wear the flag. I also hope that American's vote for Mccain. I think after four years of that, America's will rue the day they made that decision. People have to learn the heard way what is important and what isn't and the only way to do that is through tough lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections