Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:21 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,149,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Serbs are already independent. They're ticked that Kosovo declared it's independence.
Crap. I knew that. dangit. The Serbs are the ones attacking our embassy and rioting. I even made a joke about them being terrorists today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:26 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,786,106 times
"The truth is that right after 9-11 I had a pin," Obama said. "Shortly after 9-11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security.
"I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest," he said in the interview. "Instead, I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testament to my patriotism."

Obama doesn't wear the lapel pin for the same reasons I don't have a "Support the Troops" magnet on my car. It's become an empty symbolic gesture. Support the troops by bringing them home. Support the troops by helping us get off foreign oil. Be patriotic through your actions not empty symbolic gestures and simplistic, jingoistic phrases.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Crap. I knew that. dangit. The Serbs are the ones attacking our embassy and rioting. I even made a joke about them being terrorists today.
Shhh! White Christians are not terrorists! Don't you know only Arabs and Muslims are terrorists. If you let other Republicans hear you call a Christian a terrorists they'll call you a big fat commie liberal!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:29 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,709,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
"The truth is that right after 9-11 I had a pin," Obama said. "Shortly after 9-11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security.
"I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest," he said in the interview. "Instead, I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testament to my patriotism."

Obama doesn't wear the lapel pin for the same reasons I don't have a "Support the Troops" magnet on my car. It's become an empty symbolic gesture. Support the troops by bringing them home. Support the troops by helping us get off foreign oil. Be patriotic through your actions not empty symbolic gestures and simplistic, jingoistic phrases.

Art ... this is what will get McCain elected. Just wait, they'll drum up a "vote for Obama and we'll be attacked again" and they will attack his lack of patriotism (bs, in my book btw). They'll also smack Mrs. O with her words too ... just wait, you thought it was unfair how the Hillary people attacked her? Oh just you wait.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:30 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,149,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Shhh! White Christians are not terrorists! Don't you know only Arabs and Muslims are terrorists. If you let other Republicans hear you call a Christian a terrorists they'll call you a big fat commie liberal!
I'm already a liberal in their eyes. I support Ron Paul.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

I have to spread rep around. But yes, I agree. I'm a Christian, but I don't wear a Cross necklace, have angels all over my house, or have my Bible out on display. My actions should show my faith. Same with this situation. It really makes me laugh when I see a "Support the Troops" ribbon on a huge foreign-made, gas-guzzling SUV loaded down with Chinese-made goods.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times
I guess I don't understand the wearing of the little flaggy pin thing.

Are these people so stupid they don't remember what country they belong to without a reminder?

Do they think others are so stupid that they have to tell them they're American?

Is a person REALLY more patriotic if they wear a PIN!!!!????

To me those pins are like monogramed towels...who else's towels would be in your bathroom????!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,841,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Art ... this is what will get McCain elected. Just wait, they'll drum up a "vote for Obama and we'll be attacked again" and they will attack his lack of patriotism (bs, in my book btw). They'll also smack Mrs. O with her words too ... just wait, you thought it was unfair how the Hillary people attacked her? Oh just you wait.
So what. Just because they will do it doesn't mean that it's effective. Many independents and undecideds get put off by this juvenile tripe. Kerry threw everything but the kitchen sink at GWB and it did nothing. Bush won in a landslide with a larger margin of victory than his first election.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Obama says he no longer wears a AMERICAN FLAG on his lapel. He feels that he is prepared to be Commander-in-Chief.
Bush wears one every day, and he's proven he's clearly too stupid to be CIC.

Quote:
Would he say that a service person does not need to wear any ribbons showing thier TOUR of DUTY in order to show PATRIOTIC SERVICE to THEIR country?
Why are you asking posters on an internet forum to answer your question? You could probably get an answer here:

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Contact Us

Send them an email. I did. And they answered it the next day. You have nothing to lose but your bias.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:36 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
The whole patriotic schtick is a favortite of the Republicans.
Over the past seven years, they've switched their alliegance to chickenhawks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections