Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Obama says he no longer wears a AMERICAN FLAG on his lapel. He feels that he is prepared to be Commander-in-Chief. Would he say that a service person does not need to wear any ribbons showing thier TOUR of DUTY in order to show PATRIOTIC SERVICE to THEIR country?
I still can't figure out what wearing the lapel pin has to do with wearing war ribbons??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,119,595 times
Since the whole issue of lapel pins was put to rest about three months ago why is this thread even here?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,398,848 times
To me, wearing a flag pin and riding around with a flag flying off your car has become synonymous with I support Bush's war in Iraq.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,555,709 times
Default wake up AMERICA!!!!

Give me a break , here we go again with another SMOKE SCREEN . What differance does it really make ? We spend too much time looking at what they are wearing , Like they would be a better president if the have a flag on their lapel! listen too what they are promissing to do for US! . Then ask the important question , can they really do what they have promissed? can they really make a change ? will their party let them make the changes , or is it all just a smoke screen to get your votes?and then will it be business as usual. does that mean also that anyone that does not fly the American flag is not a patriot ?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:09 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,456,203 times
In lieu of a pin I'd rather there be substantive policies passed that take of our VFWs when they return to this country injured or permanently maimed. Or perhaps more care/concern taken before sending them overseas to die. IOW more action less talk would be nice from our politicians b/c you can wear all the pins you want but at the end of the day what does that really do for our citizenry? Sorry I'm just more about substance, not just public displays of ideology.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:11 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,841,268 times
RE: My original Post. A so called "PIN" is not only a symbal but a Silent non verbal message of support and PATRIOTISM to the USA. RE: a navy person not always wearing their ribbons is the uniform of the day. Wearing dress WHITES requires all ribbons to be worn. Same with MARINE dress BLUES. Class "A" requires the wearing of stripes/hash marks/any ribbons earned during any tour of duty. One POST says here that RIBBONS are meaningless (my word). I have an excellent example of a "RIBBON" that is worn by a very FEW Military men. While in JAPAN in 1951, I had the HONOUR of SALUTEING and speaking with a SGT 1 Class wearing this RIBBON. He received this RIBBON during service in WW11 while in the NAVY in the Pacific. This RIBBON and MEADAL was PRESENTED to him by THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. It was the "MEDAL OF HONOUR". So don't any one tell me that a RIBBON means NOTHING and is NOT IMPORTANT. Stefhen

Old 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,847,494 times
OMG! How could I have been so blind? Forget about the other issues, like our failing healthcare system, the joke of an education system, the narcotics superhighway that is our southern border, and the quagmire in Iraq. Folks he's not wearing a pin! Therefore he must be a rabid anti-American out to destroy our way of life!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,235,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
RE: My original Post. A so called "PIN" is not only a symbal but a Silent non verbal message of support and PATRIOTISM to the USA. RE: a navy person not always wearing their ribbons is the uniform of the day. Wearing dress WHITES requires all ribbons to be worn. Same with MARINE dress BLUES. Class "A" requires the wearing of stripes/hash marks/any ribbons earned during any tour of duty. One POST says here that RIBBONS are meaningless (my word). I have an excellent example of a "RIBBON" that is worn by a very FEW Military men. While in JAPAN in 1951, I had the HONOUR of SALUTEING and speaking with a SGT 1 Class wearing this RIBBON. He received this RIBBON during service in WW11 while in the NAVY in the Pacific. This RIBBON and MEADAL was PRESENTED to him by THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. It was the "MEDAL OF HONOUR". So don't any one tell me that a RIBBON means NOTHING and is NOT IMPORTANT. Stefhen
Steve, unless I am mistaken, Senator Obama is neither on active duty nor a military veteran. He is thus neither violating any order of the day nor displaying a lack or patriotism -- unless of course one defines patriotism simply as displaying images of the flag.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:44 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,410,064 times
And whenever did wearing an American flag pin made in China make anyone patriotic?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:46 PM

438 posts, read 1,505,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And whenever did wearing an American flag pin made in China make anyone patriotic?
Best answer yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections