Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 01:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,801,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
That's all well and good, but we have been victimized. Let's not pretend like we haven't. We need to learn from this. Trump has greatly and seemingly purposefully failed our nation. His name may soon represent something other than greatness. Anyone remember reading about Dr. Samuel Mudd, the guy who treated John Wilkes Booth? His name is still attached to disaster. Rather than saying "His name will be Mudd", we might be saying "His name will be Trump".

I expect that four years down the road the GOP will offer up the same tired old hacks. We need a greater leader to rise up. Somebody with enough intestinal fortitude to go the distance and win.
The bolded is part of the problem. There is no "great leader" who will rise up and fix everything and if someone claims to be that person, you should run far and fast in the other direction. Trump, who is probably a megalomaniac, tried to sell himself as that person. "I alone can fix it." He's not that person and no one else is, either.

The most you can hope for is to elect a smart, fair, educated person who will do their best to put the interests of the country first. They'll make mistakes and they'll never be able to please everyone, but that's all any human can do.

America is STILL a great country. Yes, a country with problems and weaknesses. But instead of hoping to find some perfect, amazing leader, trust that your fellow Americans, whether they're in politics or just your neighbors are almost always doing the best they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 01:17 PM

26,576 posts, read 14,532,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I think this was the "unless" that Conway was referring to.
CONWAY:The "unless" is very simply; it's unless someone in my household needs me or unless something changes in my own life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ump-right-now/

i think someone in her household needs her.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,694,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
At some point, Trump had to choose which party's nomination to run for. Theoretically, he could have run as a conservative D, and he had to make a choice. It is common for presidential wanna-bes to commission some private polling early on, before they commit to such an arduous undertaking. I'm hardly in his inner circle, but I'd bet that he did that, and found out that registered Ds would not go for him, but registered Rs would. Because I assure you, had he tried for the D nomination, he wouldn't have won a single primary.
I believe the republicans wanted him on their side, because they were afraid that if he ran as an Independent he would take too many votes away from them.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,170,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump is awake Tuesday morning and he's tweeting again - attacking the GOP.

He said that his shackles have been removed.

Trump also attacked Paul Ryan again on twitter as a "weak and ineffective leader".

He's still on his twitter tirade now, adding a new tweet every 20 minutes or so. Another one just came out a few moments ago saying "Disloyal R's are far more difficult than Crooked Hillary...."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Donald Trump: 'The shackles have been taken off me' - CNNPolitics.com
Like Frankenstein's monster breaking free and committing mayhem on the villagers.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:20 PM

37,610 posts, read 19,463,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Wow, if Trump has been "shackled" all of this time, just imagine what an "unshackled" Trump is going to do! I just hope he gets the chance to tweet up a storm before one of his adult handlers manages to wrestle his phone away from him.

This is going to be fun.
Time to lock up all the furniture stores. Oh, and Ladies - make sure to wear extra thick canvas pants from now through November 9th.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,896,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
That's all well and good, but we have been victimized. Let's not pretend like we haven't. We need to learn from this. Trump has greatly and seemingly purposefully failed our nation. His name may soon represent something other than greatness. Anyone remember reading about Dr. Samuel Mudd, the guy who treated John Wilkes Booth? His name is still attached to disaster. Rather than saying "His name will be Mudd", we might be saying "His name will be Trump".

I expect that four years down the road the GOP will offer up the same tired old hacks. We need a greater leader to rise up. Somebody with enough intestinal fortitude to go the distance and win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The bolded is part of the problem. There is no "great leader" who will rise up and fix everything and if someone claims to be that person, you should run far and fast in the other direction. Trump, who is probably a megalomaniac, tried to sell himself as that person. "I alone can fix it." He's not that person and no one else is, either.

The most you can hope for is to elect a smart, fair, educated person who will do their best to put the interests of the country first. They'll make mistakes and they'll never be able to please everyone, but that's all any human can do.

America is STILL a great country. Yes, a country with problems and weaknesses. But instead of hoping to find some perfect, amazing leader, trust that your fellow Americans, whether they're in politics or just your neighbors are almost always doing the best they can.
Agreed.

It's the myth of the political messiah, the magic savior who will swoop down and fix things. Politics is a messy business, undertaken by real people with the flaws that real people possess. It's horse-trading and compromise and realism. People love to pretend that there's someone who is 'above all that'. There's not - though demagogues love to play on that unrealistic fantasy that some harbor.

People who yearn for a hero to come save them will always be disappointed.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:32 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,638,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump is awake Tuesday morning and he's tweeting again - attacking the GOP.

He said that his shackles have been removed.
Is he giving us a hint...who did he shackle from his past or who shackled him? lol

Old 10-11-2016, 01:42 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,518,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You of course have done nothing to explain how giving the keys to just another fox will change anything.

IF anyone really wants to stop the game that's played then find someone who's never played it, not a long-term willing participant.
Perhaps you're right about trump being just another fox. But at least many of those foxes, the ryans, mccains, romneys, etc are against the other fox, trump, so that's a big step in the right direction and should give a hint to those paying the slightest bit of attention this is a good step in the right direction for our country.

And we know 100% hil is the same mold of these clowns that have been running our country into the ground, serve themselves, not the people, so you're for handing it all over to someone with a 100% certainty they are of the same self serving/bought off type? That makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:46 PM

26,740 posts, read 15,295,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Is that his African-American outreach?

Mick
Yes, because only blacks have ever been shackled. Wow. Cue the liberals with cultural appropriation talk.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:03 PM

31,335 posts, read 14,447,509 times
Got news for you people.....
The system needed a wake up call! Anyone else notice the rampant corruption?
Good for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections