Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In absolute terms, what's your absolute opinion...
Hillary is GREAT; Trump sucks 12 16.22%
Trump is GREAT; Hillary sucks 17 22.97%
They're BOTH FREAKING IDIOTS 45 60.81%
They're both just really, really great 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,539,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Dysfunctional government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,539,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm talking about basic "civic knowledge" qualifications in all elections; the stewardship of our future is too precious to be entrusted to the front row at WrestleMania.
Perhaps a clue was given over a hundred years ago before the days of Twitter, Instagram, blogs, and forums, and the politicians have exploited it since:

By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community. - Oscar Wilde

Old 10-12-2016, 10:59 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,890,240 times
Quote:
She is the ultimate "establishment" (aka globalist) candidate.
I like globalism. I live in a big, global city.

Quote:
She will increase Muslim immigration, in spite of the fact that it is a risk to American citizens.
Current American citizens are a bigger risk to other American citizens.

Quote:
She supports trade agreements that sell out American workers.
Free trade means cheaper stuff. That's a positive.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,157,041 times
SOUR GRAPES is the only purpose of this thread. And there is way too much talk about Trump and Hillary when party is still way more important.

The Dems took over for the Repubs after they ran our economy into a deep recession and left the world with a horrible mistake of a war. Under extreme obstruction, the Dems still brought our economy back, even exceeding those of the other rich nations.

That alone means only a fool would vote Republican in this election.

Now anti-democrats desperately want/need us to HATE Hillary the way they have been trained to. Heck, many of you want us to hate Pope Francis too!! Not sure what faith ya'll Hillary haters are practicing.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,388,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I like globalism. I live in a big, global city.
It's not "globalism" that's the real problem; uniform standards and rules are a key contributor toward the success of any socio-economic organization; the trouble begins when a self-appointed and self-righteous few (i. e: the advocates of political Correctness) seek to impose their viewpoint on all, as an unsubstantiated absolute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
If anyone thinks either are great while saying the other sucks, then IMO they are blind followers of that whom they are following. Sadly these are our two choices, and please don't offer up Jill Stein or. Gary Johnson as viable alternatives. Hillary or Donald will be the next president.
I might not have much in common with Stein's loyalists, but I don't doubt their sincerity. And while I've identified with libertarian values since my teens, I understand that the process of realpoitik, rather than ideology, is central to the functioning of the process of statecraft. Johnson, Weld and Co have a far better grasp of this than the Greens. and they may yet produce the highest turnout for a third party since 1912.

The current political flux might be considered a parallel to the rise of the Whig Party in the Ante-Bellum era; that party at one time included among its ranks personalities as different as John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay, and Abraham Lincoln. It would, eventually, evolve into the Republican Party, but not without the costs of a vicious Civil War and the bastardizations of democracy recalled as reconstruction and Jim Crow.

But we are know recognized as one of the globes most-tested and most-versatile democracies and, despite the vulgarity among both the Low Left and the Low Right, not likely to backslide too far.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-12-2016 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 11:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,705,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Look, I get it. We spend a lot of time defending who is relatively less worse. I have an opinion on that.

But if you look at both of them objectively...can we just agree that they both suck?

Hillary - yes, she was reckless with her emails. Considering she knew she would run for President and it would be a liability, she's either an idiot or else exceedingly arrogant to think it wouldn't matter. Her policy and performance as Secretary of Stat sucked; the Middle East is a freaking disaster in no small part thanks to naive policies pushed by her and Obama admin. She'll be an insecure war hawk who will push a black / white policy with Russia that mayl result in unnecessary confrontation. Typical politician, and I doubt she'll move the needle much on making the economy work for all Americans. Her husband is a first-rate ******* who also couldn't keep it in his pants. She's a crappy choice.

Trump - where to start... the man is a freakish egomaniac with the ego of a small child. He's goaded into the stupidest fights on Twitter that anyone past puberty would find embarrassing. He can't pass up an insult and has all the tact of a steer. His "experience" for office consists of a career as (1) a shady huckster who has ripped off a lot of small businesses along the way, and (2) a frivolous celebrity figure on some TV shows. His entire "genius" is figuring out how to tell gullible people what they want to hear with ZERO chance of actually delivering on it. And his disgusting sex talk complete with repeat appearances on garbage shows like Howard Stern certainly indicates what bad judgment he has. With his personality, he's worthy of sideshow announcer at some grotesque hole in the wall strip club, not the top office.

So seriously...can we just agree on that?

If you actively like and admire either of these people, then I'm going to assume you have a very low IQ.

Most depressing election of my life. I wonder how much lower it can go in future cycles...but I'm sure we'll collectively rise to the occasion and find a way.
Well said.

I've consistently stated I won't vote for either. My ballot will be blank for POTUS.

Am I looking for the perfect candidate? No. I can disagree with some positions and still vote for that candidate, but with Trump and Hillary, they are so bad, I can't vote for either.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:41 AM

26,655 posts, read 15,211,403 times
Both Hillary and Trump are corrupt liars. It is hard to respect the morals and brains of those that think either is a great candidate.

Either will be seen as illegitimate presidents by millions of people with good reason.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:45 AM

26,655 posts, read 15,211,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Well said.

I've consistently stated I won't vote for either. My ballot will be blank for POTUS.

Am I looking for the perfect candidate? No. I can disagree with some positions and still vote for that candidate, but with Trump and Hillary, they are so bad, I can't vote for either.
I would recommend you vote 3rd party as opposed to nothing. It sends more of a message.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:36 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,401,632 times
Nope. Not even close. A false dichotomy.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,928,433 times
Both are bad but I think TRUMP is worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections