Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In absolute terms, what's your absolute opinion...
Hillary is GREAT; Trump sucks 12 16.22%
Trump is GREAT; Hillary sucks 17 22.97%
They're BOTH FREAKING IDIOTS 45 60.81%
They're both just really, really great 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,545,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Well said.

I've consistently stated I won't vote for either. My ballot will be blank for POTUS.

Am I looking for the perfect candidate? No. I can disagree with some positions and still vote for that candidate, but with Trump and Hillary, they are so bad, I can't vote for either.
You could show your discontent by voting against them both, otherwise, your protest has no meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 06:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,648,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Okay, so why as poll after poll says that the majority of people strongly dislike BOTH candidates, then why are the third party candidates polling so poorly? The Washington Times featured a poll that said that Gary Johnson won the second debate!

Poll Results: Who won the presidential debate? - Washington Times (And you might want to scan some of the comments!)

Are people so cowed -- or should I say sheeped -- that they have bought the line that a third party candidate can't win?

I will answer my own [second] question: YES. I did buy that "fact" until I realized that if people would just take a chance and either not vote or vote for a third-party candidate (as their conscience dictates), then we might be able to wake up the major party leadership and let them know that we are not willing to accept business as usual in the form of lying, scummy candidates. Of course, that is why Trump is now the Republican candidate -- because although MOST Republicans did NOT support him, the fact is that he got more votes than any of the other candidates, but not as many as the other Republican candidates combined. (See link below.) If the field had been narrowed earlier to just three or four, I doubt that Donald would have gotten this far. Sure, it's possible, but it seems to me that the Donald supporters were and are one faction, and everyone else would support almost any other candidate except him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republ...rimaries,_2016

I "know" that' people suddenly thinking for themselves is almost certainly not going to happen -- I wish I had a dollar for every time I have read, or heard "a vote for a third party candidate is a wasted vote" -- but I just wish that people would wake up. Things are not going to change as long as people don't think for themselves and stand up for themselves, despite what the media and many other so-called "know-it-alls" say.
Well, the third party candidates haven't exactly put forth a stellar effort. Gary Johnson has been given every opportunity this season to bring third parties into the limelight - and he has screwed it up every time. Sticking his tongue out as a reporter; not knowing one thing about Aleppo; and worse of all was not being able to name ONE foreign leader that he knew or admired.
People were turned OFF. He came across as completely unprepared for the office.

Jill Stein has done no better. She has no depth of ideas and no idea how to accomplish anything other THAN by executive order.

Plus, as the election gets closer ~ people start to realize that one of these TWO people are going to be our President. IF you want a say in which one - you can't vote third party.

That's the reality people come to as the election gets closer. Happens all the time. Support for third party candidates begins to wane as early voting begins.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:52 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,857,872 times
If you don't either Hillary or Trump our only hope, then, is a strong leash... a system of constraints that will limit the damage the either can do.

With Trump, there will be a leash, the opposition party and media will oppose him at every turn. But with Hillary, who violated many laws but they cover-up to protect her. Her party or the media will not constrain her. If Hillary becomes president, the party and the media will turn a blind eye to her corruption and abuses, and they will cheer her on as she abuses power. With Hillary there will be no leash.

We have a choice in this election. If you see little difference between the two, then look at the leash. Vote for the one who will be kept on the leash.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:55 AM

4,943 posts, read 4,283,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If you don't either Hillary or Trump our only hope, then, is a strong leash... a system of constraints that will limit the damage the either can do.

With Trump, there will be a leash, the opposition party and media will oppose him at every turn. But with Hillary, who violated many laws but they cover-up to protect her. Her party or the media will not constrain her. If Hillary becomes president, the party and the media will turn a blind eye to her corruption and abuses, and they will cheer her on as she abuses power. With Hillary there will be no leash.

We have a choice in this election. If you see little difference between the two, then look at the leash. Vote for the one who will be kept on the leash.
Even the opposing party (apparently) will not put up too much of a fight against Hillary. Just look at how they gave up their party "principles" to try to keep their nominee out of the White House. Because they are afraid.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,143,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, the third party candidates haven't exactly put forth a stellar effort. Gary Johnson has been given every opportunity this season to bring third parties into the limelight - and he has screwed it up every time. Sticking his tongue out as a reporter; not knowing one thing about Aleppo; and worse of all was not being able to name ONE foreign leader that he knew or admired.
People were turned OFF. He came across as completely unprepared for the office.

Jill Stein has done no better. She has no depth of ideas and no idea how to accomplish anything other THAN by executive order.

Plus, as the election gets closer ~ people start to realize that one of these TWO people are going to be our President. IF you want a say in which one - you can't vote third party.

That's the reality people come to as the election gets closer. Happens all the time. Support for third party candidates begins to wane as early voting begins.
You realize that no matter what the 3rd party does the MSM will NOT allow them airtime right? Of course unless they get arrested or some other election ending event happens, then they get wall to wall coverage.

There's been some good 3rd party candidates but for some reason or another they can never get any traction or real news coverage.

So, ask yourself, WHO is really controlling things? It isn't us, the citizens...

Old 10-17-2016, 10:24 PM

11,654 posts, read 13,078,612 times
They're both equally flawed. But I still "lean" on Trump's side. Hillary is too politically correct - I've had enough of such politicians already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections