Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 07:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There are ways to do - in precisely the that Stop the Steal proposed to do it.
I hate the "autocorrect"-ing of whole sentences that Tapatalk does. Grrr...

I meant to write:
There are ways to do it - in precisely the way that Stop the Steal proposed to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
A federal appeals court overruled the decision to block exit polling in Ohio. So far the DNC has lost their lawsuits in three of the four states they filed suits to prevent exit polling.
What's really sad is that you are championing voter intimidation - championing the victory of centuries of institutionalized racism and marginalizing of those most vulnerable in society by the government itself.

Of course, people championed slavery back when it was legal and upheld by the courts, so I guess it's not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
I hate the "autocorrect"-ing of whole sentences that Tapatalk does. Grrr...

I meant to write:
There are ways to do it - in precisely the way that Stop the Steal proposed to do it.
What's really sad is that you are championing voter intimidation - championing the victory of centuries of institutionalized racism and marginalizing of those most vulnerable in society by the government itself.

Of course, people championed slavery back when it was legal and upheld by the courts, so I guess it's not surprising.

You can make ridiculous, and completely unfounded claims, but it only makes you look bad, not me.

If there is any voter intimidation going on, not matter who's doing it, the people should be prosecuted.

Voter intimidation should never be tolerated, but let's be clear, nobody has the right to say a not for profit that is going to be conduction exit polling is intimidating voters.

You can't go into court, make completely unfounded claims that people who are going to be conducting exit polling will at some future time, and place, commit voter intimidation.

The claims are completely without merit, and so far, in three states, federal judges agree.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:29 AM
bUU

Quote:
If there is any voter intimidation going on, not matter who's doing it, the people should be prosecuted.
Yet that idealistic reality didn't prevent the Republican Party from engaging in a pattern of discrimination for many many years prior to the consent decree. Doesn't this help you understand the ridiculous nature of relying on such inanely idealistic pronouncements to defend your perspective?

Quote:
Voter intimidation should never be tolerated, but let's be clear, nobody has the right to say a not for profit that is going to be conduction exit polling is intimidating voters.
Sure they do, if the likelihood is that the not-for-profit is lying about their true motivations. That's the matter in dispute. How much evidence is needed to demonstrate that the group's true motivations are suspect is at issue.

Quote:
You can't go into court, make completely unfounded claims that people who are going to be conducting exit polling will at some future time, and place, commit voter intimidation.
Actually, you can, after those to whom your organization has significant ties have been made subject to a consent decree based on engaging in a pattern of discrimination for many many years.

Quote:
The claims are completely without merit
Without a time machine you couldn't possibly know that. We'll have to wait and see how these people behave, and whether election and police officials are willing to take appropriate action to eliminate any sense of voter intimidation. What we've seen in the past, leading up to the consent decree, is that election and police officials in (specifically) Republican areas where voter intimidation is most likely to occur are very unlikely to take appropriate and timely action to ensure the fairness of the vote.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the truth, while you are prevaricating about the mission and purpose of the entity denied the permission by the court.

Then you have worked hard to keep yourself ignorant of the facts of the court case about which you posted your earlier comment.

No they didn't. You just made that up because you're desperate to have something nasty to say about them, without regard to the truth.

"I'm talking about the truth"

"The truth, you couldn't handle the truth!"

Old 11-07-2016, 10:48 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
There is no way someone can get away with voter intimidation in this day, and age.

There are cameras everywhere, and if someone is attempting to intimidate voters, it would be all over the internet in hours, if not minutes.

If the exit polling is allowed, they will be watched, and there is no possible way they could ever get away with voter intimidation.
"There is no way someone can get away with voter intimidation in this day, and age."

I guess you never heard of the black Panthers WHO WERE CAUGHT ON VIDEO and AG Holder REFUSED to prosecute.

There were NO cameras where I voted.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:20 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"There is no way someone can get away with voter intimidation in this day, and age."

I guess you never heard of the black Panthers WHO WERE CAUGHT ON VIDEO and AG Holder REFUSED to prosecute.

There were NO cameras where I voted.
No intimidated voter was ever found and there was a judgement against the New Black Panther involved.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:36 PM

On Monday afternoon, the Supreme Court denied Democrats’ request to reinstate a trial court order barring the presidential campaigns and others from exit polling.

Even the Supreme Court told the DNC to take a hike, exit polling is not voter intimidation.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:35 AM
bUU

Quote:
exit polling is not voter intimidation.
You don't know that what these folks do today isn't voter intimidation - no one does. It's 6:26 AM... where are these folks set up right now? Nowhere yet, afaik. The decision means folks in Ohio (an elsewhere) need to watch and report any intimidation that they actually see. It will unfortunately now require people actually be intimidated to prompt action, rather than just a preponderance of reasonable assumption that that activity will constitute intimidation, but that's the decision of due process and we have to respect it.
Quote:
Q.What is voter intimidation?

A. Federal law, and many states’ laws, prohibit voter intimidation. Federal law makes clear that "no person … shall intimidate, threaten, coerce … any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of [that] person to vote or to vote as he may choose."

If someone is interfering or attempting to interfere with your right to vote, or with anyone else’s right to vote, that may be voter intimidation and a violation of federal law.

Voter intimidation is not common. But here are some examples:
  • Aggressively questioning voters about their citizenship, criminal record, or other qualifications to vote , in a manner intended to interfere with the voters’ rights;
  • Falsely presenting oneself as an elections official;
  • Spreading false information about voter requirements, such as an ability to speak English, or the need to present certain types of photo identification (in states with no such requirement);
  • Displaying false or misleading signs about voter fraud and the criminal penalties related thereto; and
  • Other forms of harassment, particularly harassment targeted towards non-English speakers and voters of color.

Q.Who can I report intimidation to?

A. You can report intimidation to:
  • The Election Protection Hotline: 1-866-OUR-VOTE or 1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
  • The U.S. Department of Justice Voting Rights Hotline: 800-253-3931; TTY line 877-267-8971
  • Local and state officials, including poll workers; your county clerk, elections commissioner, elections supervisor; or your state board of elections.
https://www.aclu.org/know-your-right...r-intimidation

Old 11-08-2016, 06:19 AM

Dude, give it you, you are embarrassing yourself.

The matter was pushed all the way to the Supreme Court, and the DNC lost its baseless lawsuit.

Or

Are you saying that a number of federal judges, and supreme court justices are in on it, and want voter intimidation?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:29 AM
bUU

Quote:
Dude, give it you, you are embarrassing yourself.
That sounds like projection. You are spewing vitriol solely to have something nasty to say in response. That seems like it would be far more embarrassing to you than my posting public service information about how to deal with voter intimidation when it does happen.

Quote:
The matter was pushed all the way to the Supreme Court, and the DNC lost its baseless lawsuit.
Did you even read the message to which you posted a reply?
Quote:
... that's the decision of due process and we have to respect it.
What part of that was hard to understand? Or did you just post recklessly without actually reading what it was you were responding to?

Quote:
Are you saying that a number of federal judges, and supreme court justices are in on it, and want voter intimidation?
"Dude," stop making up arguments no one made, just so you have something you're capable of arguing against. Go back to my message and read what I actually wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections