Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 01:13 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,237,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
And the GOP has learned...nothing.

GOP strategist: Clinton will win -- but Congress won't work with her

GOP strategist: Clinton will win -- but Congress won't work with her - CNNPolitics.com

"Unfortunately, instead of seeing this as an opportunity for Republicans to do a little self-introspection, a chance to look beyond ourselves, and to rise to the moment -- which would help us grow nationally," said Weaver, "the instinct will be to throw landmines, not to govern and to cause problems above and beyond being just the normal loyal opposition ideologically."
and CNN has all the answers right? DO you think if Trump wins the left will work with him? Heck have we seen Obama make any attempt to work with the house and senate in the past couple of years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 03:40 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and CNN has all the answers right? DO you think if Trump wins the left will work with him? Heck have we seen Obama make any attempt to work with the house and senate in the past couple of years?
Exactly. And really, short of executive orders, the presidents main, and in my view most important job, is to work well with people in congress which includes people across the aisle with different views(and donors) and build consensus. Find common ground. Like or hate bill clinton, I will give him credit for working with people on far sides of the aisle in congress. Obama? I see a thin skinned, my way or no way, condescending/belittle others. And that's NO way to be when you want to win friends and influence people and constructively work with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
What I'm thinking, and this is only an anecdote, pertains to one of gf's who hasn't been a motivated person through out her life and definitely didn't have the attention span for college. But, in her state of MI during the massive unemployment we had 7-8 years ago she did sign up for a program to become a surgical technologist (they pass the instruments in the OR). They put her through community college for less than a year for the certification. She got herself a job at a hospital. She won't get rich, but she earns in the mid-60s and that's not bad in her neck of the woods. The MI taxpayer paid for it and it's working out. It's not a heady job, but she really enjoys it. So, I think there could be something for a lot of people that doesn't necessarily require a great deal of education.

I also want to add that I don't think people give themselves enough credit. Unless someone has intellectual disabilities they could probably manage a lot more than they think.
Good points. Attitude is so much of the picture, I agree. But regardless if it's attitude and/or ability, I think the point still is everyone isn't cut out for higher end jobs, going to college for them, etc. for whatever reason(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Again with false information...

Debunking the Myth: Obama’s Two-Year Supermajority
Debunking the Myth: Obama's Two-Year Supermajority | Huffington Post

And please explain why it is ever okay to conspire to do everything to obstruct a POTUS regardless of the logistics and indifferent to how it will affect the American people. The GOP gave us shmucks like Ted Cruz with a filibuster that consisted of a reading of "The Cat in The Hat"... And thank you Reublicans for bringing the USA's credit rating down. Wasting taxpayer dollars on grandstanding with phony and bogus BENGHAZI hearings so that Trey Gowdy and Darrell Issa cold pander to the nitwits.
Again, leadership starts at the top, and one of the main jobs of the president is to bring people together in the house and senate. Many including myself see him failing big time in this regard. See my reasons above.

And btw, your rant of insults is exactly what I'm talking about on how NOT to work with people. I can see how you probably like obama though as like often hangs around with/enables like, via voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It's any and all of the above. Some may do high-tech manufacturing. Those who do will have more income, and will need to have their hair styled, they will need physical therapists for their ailments, they'll need X-ray techncians, they'll go out to dinner at the local restaurant.

I'm simply saying that people should open their minds, search for what they are good at. Learn beyond the surface in what interests them.

A halfassed hairdresser at supercuts makes low wages. A hairdresser who learns their craft and builds a clientelle can make a living.

Many (!) can take advantage of the trade schools coming up in their area to apply for jobs that are in the same field (it's what drives the tech school). For those who can't, they still don't need to settle for mediocrity. They can. They may. But they don't have to (see earlier comments about my daughter).

So to your last sentence, I fully agree.
You bring up some good points. And being a go getter/go for it type person, it all hits home. But again, what people are capable of and what they do are 2 different things. Attitude is something that is hard if not impossible to teach. And in a free society, one can't force people to do anything of course. For good or bad, many people are "just tell me what to do and I'll do it" with very little ambition otherwise. So if the largely go through the motion jobs aren't there and don't pay well, the end result is still not healthy for our nation.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:51 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,296,258 times
Any politician refusing to work with Clinton has my complete support.

Our guns are loaded, our ammo is stockpiled. Bring it on.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:21 PM

30,549 posts, read 23,967,464 times
Liberal speak: If you don't do it our way, remove all checks and balances, you're not doing your job.

God I hate liberals.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 801,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post

Bring what on? What in the world do you think is going to happen? How about you take all that energy and go volunteer for a needy charity or something?

Old 11-07-2016, 05:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,856,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Good. The Goo must do everything they can to stop Clinton from destroying the country.
I'm sure you didn't mean this, but it really made me laugh!!!! "The Goo" is a very good term for congressional Rs!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Bring what on? What in the world do you think is going to happen? How about you take all that energy and go volunteer for a needy charity or something?
How do you know I don't?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-08-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Liberal speak: If you don't do it our way, remove all checks and balances, you're not doing your job.

God I hate liberals.
Hating libs has become soooo easy...and so much FUN!!!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:41 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,795,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post

Gotta love the tough guys on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections