Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:37 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The debt did not double under Bush or Reagan.
Right, it tripled under Reagan. When Bush took office the debt was around $5.5T, and on Jan 20 2009, which is when he left the office it was $10.6T, so yet, he did double it, plus much of the spending which he had pushed through was added to Obamas numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Vote for hope and change.....The Donald.
Yep, he'll cut the revenue and increase spending. He already brought up the need for half a TRILLION dollar stimulus. Shovel ready road projects...... it rings a bell.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:09 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,153 times
The problem is not necessarily how much debt, but what do you have to show for it. Under Obama, the government spent about 10 trillion, but what was accomplished with that money? Return on investment (ROI) is what matters. If Obama was the CEO of a company he would have been fired a long time ago.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
The problem is not necessarily how much debt, but what do you have to show for it. Under Obama, the government spent about 10 trillion, but what was accomplished with that money? Return on investment (ROI) is what matters. If Obama was the CEO of a company he would have been fired a long time ago.
Spending under Obama was relatively constant. What caused extra debt was reduction of revenues in the early years.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Spending under Obama was relatively constant. What caused extra debt was reduction of revenues in the early years.

Again, what is his ROI?

Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
The majority of US debt is related to welfare payouts, including SS. Nearly half of Americans can not find a job that gets them out of poverty or choose not to work. The economy may be better than in 2008 but for many people the recession never ended.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:22 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Again, what is his ROI?
You are making the absurd assumption that Obama increased spending. He didn't.

But this seems like a good time to repeat, once again, the truth about federal spending: Your federal government is basically an insurance company with an army. The vast bulk of its spending goes to the big five: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, defense, and interest on the debt. I have no idea what the ROI of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and defense but I sure know that I want them -- and you do too.

But what about deficits in the early part of Obama's term? They were caused mainly by a fall in revenue and a mostly automatic increase in spending on safety-net programs. Oh, and the federal government provided aid to state and local governments, largely to limit layoffs of schoolteachers. I have no idea of the ROI of that either.

But if you want to cut the debt without raising taxes, either you're talking about cuts in the big five, or you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Again, what is his ROI?
ROI on government spending? Military, education, health care, veterans, transportation, welfare.

ROI of utilizing safety-net programs was the fact that people didn't have to rob and kill others to survive. Now it is in the fact that unemployment has been cut to less than half.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-08-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are making the absurd assumption that Obama increased spending. He didn't.

But this seems like a good time to repeat, once again, the truth about federal spending: Your federal government is basically an insurance company with an army. The vast bulk of its spending goes to the big five: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, defense, and interest on the debt. I have no idea what the ROI of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and defense but I sure know that I want them -- and you do too.

But what about deficits in the early part of Obama's term? They were caused mainly by a fall in revenue and a mostly automatic increase in spending on safety-net programs. Oh, and the federal government provided aid to state and local governments, largely to limit layoffs of schoolteachers. I have no idea of the ROI of that either.

But if you want to cut the debt without raising taxes, either you're talking about cuts in the big five, or you have no idea what you’re talking about.
I probably could have explained it a bit better, my apologies . Debt was increased by 10 trillion under Obama. Obama extended the tax cuts in his first term, you act as if the revenue just happened to be reduced at no fault to Obama. Spending should have been reduced to compensate for the decrease in revenue. Spending needs to be less than revenue in order to pay down the debt, obviously.

But I don't necessarily care about the debt. What I care about is effective spending. I want to see results. As an example, we spend quite a bit on education, but our public schools are poorly ranked.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
In 222 years of all Presidents ending with George Bush, we had 10 Trillion in Debt. Over the last 8 years, Obama raised the national debt 100% to 20 Trillion.

There is really something wrong with this. Dont you agree?

But, but, but, Trump said some bad stuff 25 years ago.

In all seriousness..... it is a disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections