Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:43 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,296,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Because I don't like, trust or want either candidate, but I still wanted to exercise my right to vote.
The fact is, you're getting one of them. If you really sit and think about it, I'm sure you'd realize one is more harmful than another.

You know I respect you, I just don't think this is wise...

But, I get that it's your vote to do with as you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 03:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
No, I did not wait in line for an hour to waste my vote on a write in.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:44 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,012,211 times
yes I did... I couldnt vote for Trump or Clinton in good conscious. I know Clinton will win Minnesota so its not like my vote mattered specifically....

Old 11-08-2016, 03:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
The fact is, you're getting one of them. If you really sit and think about it, I'm sure you'd realize one is more harmful than another.

You know I respect you, I just don't think this is wise...

But, I get that it's your vote to do with as you want.
Yeah, I realize we'll get one of them, doesn't mean I have to vote for one. And honestly, as much as I would not want to see Trump as president, I'd be far more concerned with some of his lunatic groupies than him.

Clinton will probably win anyways, so you didn't need my vote.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Minnie Mouse. I wanted to crack that glass ceiling.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,524,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Because I don't like, trust or want either candidate, but I still wanted to exercise my right to vote.
Good for you, that's what today is all about.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:51 PM

524 posts, read 362,492 times
Write in for President...don't care for either choice....focused on down ballot.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:58 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,483,908 times
I didn't write in but I voted third party for president for the first time. I voted for the person who shared the same philosophy as I do on the issues and who would make a competent president. I really considered the major party candidates. I carefully analyzed the pluses and minuses of both. I don't like either Trump or Clinton and I couldn't choose between them.It's like a vegetarian choosing between eating chicken or beef.

In the end I voted for the person I actually want to be president (no political games of who is the lesser evil), even if there is no hope. I know Trump or Clinton will win the election. Clinton is expected to win my state. But I see them both being equally poor choices for different reasons. I see my votes on my state's constitutional amendments and local tax and bond issues as being more impactful than if either Clinton or Trump wins.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,483,908 times
Wanted to add, one thing I find funny is that I've heard from Democrats that voting for a third party is a vote for Trump... but I've also heard from Republicans that a vote for third party is a vote for Clinton. Why is it both sides think that and can't see that it's really a vote for neither?

Old 11-08-2016, 04:12 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Wow, thanks, stepped away and came back to find a lot of responses.

To those who offered the expected "wasted your vote" opinion, I get that perspective, I really do. I struggled right up to this morning with whether I was going to do it or not.

Not voting is not an option for me. My father was a 100% disabled WWII veteran who voted every election, big or small. His ghost would haunt me if I didn't vote. My mother will be 88 years old on Saturday. She votes, and she never, ever tells anyone for whom she voted.

In the end, I decided to do the write-in for the sake of a clear conscience. I am 58 years old, and this is the first time in my life I wrote in the name for a Presidential candidate. I am making a rather ineffective statement, I know. I am curious to see tomorrow how many people felt as I did, that they could not vote for either main-party candidate. I did look at the Libertarian and Green Party candidates as well, but there was just nothing that sparked me about either one.

Though my statement today might be ineffective, I am hoping against hope that we wake up and see that we need something better than the two-party machine system we have now. We need not to allow this situation of having to choose the lesser of two bad choices to happen again.

I'm pretty sure I will wake up tomorrow and find that we have elected our first woman president, and that is something. I am just old enough to remember seeing my first woman letter carrier, my first woman police officer, and we got our first woman engineer in my department back when I was still a secretary. We've come a long way, baby. Now we have to join together, regardless of gender, race, religion or whatever, and tell whoever is taking up seats in DC that we demand and expect better than what we've been getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections