Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,464,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A facebook friend, is online whining "fxxx Trump.. Food stamps now gone"..

Dont be embarassed guys.. How many voted for Clinton to keep your welfare?
1. You have friends?

2. You have friends who are "leftists" on food stamps?

Uh huh...sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 12:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,028,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
1. You have friends?

2. You have friends who are "leftists" on food stamps?

Uh huh...sure.
I assume you actually know this poster in real life ^^

Old 11-09-2016, 12:30 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,285,078 times
Default No need to be nasty...

There are people who truly need food stamps, this potential victory has nothing to do with those people, and their lack of opportunities. The government created the environment for a lot of those people, kept them dependent on it for votes. The government needs to help those people pull themselves out of their misery, and I hope Trump does as he says and makes that happen.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:32 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Seacove is right most of the welfare goes to the red states. Next, it will be medicare and social security. That's what they want and now with all republicans running the show they can do it. That will shock a lot of elderly trump voters..
I've been waiting for that for a long time. Trump supporters getting what they voted for and the end of or privatization of Medicare and Social Security. It will be so poetic for all these seniors to lose their free ride because they got what they voted for! Pretty funny.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Trump mentioned Health Savings Accounts and Ben Carson eventually ended up backing Trump if I recall.
Ben Carson feels each person would do well to have a set amount of $$ put into a HSA to be used. That is one aspect of Trump I sure hope goes thru. Wisconsin does it with one of their Medicare Plan choices, it is an HSA. Someone named Ariadne in the Health Insurance forum talks about it alot.
Do you want to self-insure with a health savings account? You know that's just a tax free savings account right? You get cancer, you better have a few $100K to pay for treatment. HSAs sound great until you realize it's just a savings account. You could call your savings account now an HSA.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
There are people who truly need food stamps, this potential victory has nothing to do with those people, and their lack of opportunities. The government created the environment for a lot of those people, kept them dependent on it for votes. The government needs to help those people pull themselves out of their misery, and I hope Trump does as he says and makes that happen.
Excuse me, the OP wants to end food stamps. End it! It's mostly used by red states. End welfare! It's mostly used by red states. These people screaming about the "takers" don't seem to realize the takers are in red states. Blue states contribute more federal dollars than they get back by far. Red states take more than they contribute.

Also, those people in red states are not victims, they need to go to school, get an education and quit whining.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:49 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,805,357 times
Yes many will lose when Trump implements his plans

Old 11-09-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Do you want to self-insure with a health savings account? You know that's just a tax free savings account right? You get cancer, you better have a few $100K to pay for treatment. HSAs sound great until you realize it's just a savings account. You could call your savings account now an HSA.
I am not sure you understand HSA's with a HDHP (High deductible health plan). Or I am not understanding.

Ben Carson's idea was to put a certain amount of $$ in a savings account each year and pair it with a HDHP. In the end, he supported Trump and if memory serves me, it was largely part due to them agreeing upon this rationale.This means that we save the $$ given to us each year to pay the deductible then the remaining amount of healthcare costs are free for that year. Yes the first couple of years you may not be given enough $$ to cover the deductible but the remaining amount beyond that is free.

I think the easiest way is to have this as an option is on the Exchanges. California had it as an option BUT they never funded it. So each year you'd be fronting the entire deductible before the plan paid the remaining. Ariadne, a poster here, has a Medicare HSA Plan. She is in Michigan. Maybe she can chime in on how much they contribute to her bank account each year towards the deductible and what her deductible is. I think they contribute around $2600 a year to her bank account (aka Health Savings Acct)

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 11-09-2016 at 01:11 AM..

Old 11-09-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Excuse me, the OP wants to end food stamps. End it! It's mostly used by red states. End welfare! It's mostly used by red states. These people screaming about the "takers" don't seem to realize the takers are in red states. Blue states contribute more federal dollars than they get back by far. Red states take more than they contribute.

Also, those people in red states are not victims, they need to go to school, get an education and quit whining.
If they don't live near a school, where do they get the gas money to pay to get there?
And who is going to front the food to nourish their bodies while they learn or work?
And who is going to pay for their shower, bed to sleep, and nice clothes to wear to work or school?

States like Mississippi have an extremely high working class compared to other states...all while their health is very poor. Medicaid wasn't expanded there. They are hardworking folks who need a little extra food stamps just to get their basic food needs met so they can work. We obviously don't want them to starve. I admire them. They put us to shame

Old 11-09-2016, 01:07 AM

578 posts, read 459,435 times
I believe people should get jobs, food stamp should only be used if the its single parent and he or she has documents showing they are in poverty. We should cut food stamps by certain percentage and use that money for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections