Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 06:08 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,956,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
God this thread is just a broken record. Just read the last 500 post for a reason to put this thread out of its misery.
I was just thinking the same thing!

4,828 posts, read 7,405,566 times
Well, I think you should stop wasting your time on a little known City Data forum and get out there and help that grass roots secession movement get the issue on the ballot.

Then you can go to work getting the population of California to vote for it.

Then you can get to work on the House and the Senate, and then you can convince those 38 states to go along with you just for good measure.

Gonna take a lot of hard work, and a lot of money, and a lot of time.
Blathering about it on this forum non-stop ain't gonna get you one step closer.

But I guess the attention of being a 10 minute City Data superstar is addicting, and the chance to dream about a total fantasy coming true is a lot easier than the real thing.

Good Luck!

52,433 posts, read 26,347,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Thus far Ive gotten only bs replies void of any real substance and reasons for us to stay.
One first has to be willing to listen to real argument.

The very legislators that you quoted have said that California depends upon Federal Funding and support from the USA to protect it's trade. They clearly state that California will be part of the USA's future.

It proves that every argument you made are nothing more than nonsense as California isn't going anywhere.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Well, I think you should stop wasting your time on a little known City Data forum and get out there and help that grass roots secession movement get the issue on the ballot.

Then you can convince those 38 states to go along with you.

Gonna take a lot of work, and a lot of money.
Blathering about it on this forum ain't gonna get you one step closer.
Yep. That's the answer. These secession folks should let us know how that goes because I'm sure it will be warmly received by your fellow Californians.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:12 PM

36,620 posts, read 67,100,931 times
Quote:
A California state legislator wrote a sentiment most of us shared on the morning after the election: “Today, we woke up feeling like strangers in a foreign land.”

The 2 avenues for legal secession both require the agreement of 38 states:

Scenario 1:
A member of the California federal delegation to Washington would propose an Amendment to the US Constitution allowing the State of California to withdraw from the Union. The Amendment would have to be approved by 2/3 of the House of Representatives and 2/3 of the Senate. If the Amendment passed it would be sent to the fifty state legislatures to be considered (to satisfy the 'consent of the states' requirement in Texas v. White). It would need to be accepted by at least 38 of the 50 state legislatures to be adopted."

Scenario 2:
California could call for a convention of the states (which is currently being organized to tackle other constitutional amendments as we speak) and the Amendment granting California its independence would have to be approved by 2/3 of the delegates to this convention. If it passed, the Amendment would be sent to the fifty state legislatures to be considered and 38 of the 50 states would have to approve the measure in order for it to be adopted."

We need 38/50

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
If I had to guess the firm yes votes that would let CA secede, Id guess the following:

Alabama Y
Alaska Y
Arizona Y
Arkansas Y
California Y
Colorado Y
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia Y
Hawaii
Idaho Y
Illinois
Indiana Y
Iowa Y
Kansas Y
Kentucky Y
Louisiana Y
Maine Y
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi Y
Missouri Y
Montana Y
Nebraska Y
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina Y
North Dakota Y
Ohio Y
Oklahoma Y
Oregon Y
Pennsylvania Y
Rhode Island
South Carolina Y
South Dakota Y
Tennessee Y
Texas Y
Utah Y
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia Y
Wisconsin Y
Wyoming Y

I consider the 32 states I selected to be firm. We would need 6 more.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-11-2016, 06:13 PM

22,254 posts, read 11,754,516 times
Quote:
This fake claim written in a right wing newspaper has already been squarely debunked in this thread.

FYI.
I suggest that you do some googling. There are many links that say that 1/3 of the nation's welfare recipients live in CA.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:17 PM

36,620 posts, read 67,100,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I suggest that you do some googling. There are many links that say that 1/3 of the nation's welfare recipients live in CA.
Been there, done that-and it's all sensationalized exaggerations that are reposted and originate back to a right wing rag.

There is no govt statistic that substantiates this claim, because it's false.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Been there, done that-and it's all sensationalized exaggerations that are reposted and originate back to a right wing rag.

There is no govt statistic that substantiates this claim, because it's false.
Seriously, like others have said, you're wasting time on this forum. If you're so sure other Californians are in support of secession, get to it.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,835,725 times
Quote:
If I had to guess the firm yes votes that would let CA secede, Id guess the following:

Alabama Y
Alaska Y
Arizona Y
Arkansas Y
California Y
Colorado Y
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia Y
Hawaii
Idaho Y
Illinois
Indiana Y
Iowa Y
Kansas Y
Kentucky Y
Louisiana Y
Maine Y
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi Y
Missouri Y
Montana Y
Nebraska Y
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina Y
North Dakota Y
Ohio Y
Oklahoma Y
Oregon Y
Pennsylvania Y
Rhode Island
South Carolina Y
South Dakota Y
Tennessee Y
Texas Y
Utah Y
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia Y
Wisconsin Y
Wyoming Y

I consider the 32 states I selected to be firm. We would need 6 more.

Any thoughts?
You wouldn't even get enough votes in CA much less the rest of them. The Northeast defiantly doesn't want CA to bail, as they'd never win an election again without CA's 58 votes.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:23 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,960,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What stuff would they give back? California puts more money into the U.S. Treasury than it takes out. It's little states like Kansas and Montana that would be worse off without federal assistance because there are hardly any high paying jobs there.
They wouldn't "give" anything back, the United States would retain all military assets and anything else owned by the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.