Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:13 PM

19,452 posts, read 9,004,425 times

Advertisements

I very rarely will come right out and say that an idea is silly, but this one is, imo.

It won't happen because it would just be too difficult. Separate defense system and separate currency, to name two -- plus I would be willing to bet that at least 95% of the people living in California have relatives living in other states, so travel into California or out of it might conceivably be even more of a hassle than it is already.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:47 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,675,929 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Better wake up... That dream isn't happening..............

Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,489,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I very rarely will come right out and say that an idea is silly, but this one is, imo.

It won't happen because it would just be too difficult. Separate defense system and separate currency, to name two -- plus I would be willing to bet that at least 95% of the people living in California have relatives living in other states, so travel into California or out of it might conceivably be even more of a hassle than it is already.

The United States of America military bases will still belong to the United States of America , pretty much like U.S. bases in Germany , Japan and Italy.

It would be just as easy to enter California as it would be to enter Canada or Mexico , you will need a passport.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,868,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Like I'ed asked before: who's gonna ENFORCE Calif "breaking away" from the US? Your kind will probably have the CHP, most other PD's, the National Guard, armed Calif civilians AND the rest of the US putting the Sf bay area, LA County and so on under martial law. IF the Black and Hispanic gangs try to start stuff; they'll be mowed down.

When things settle down; a lot of your people will be in jail on treason charges which CAN mean the death penalty. Are you willing to risk your life? Think and think hard 1st, please.
You need to remove the "armed citizens" part as California is basically a gun free zone where you have to have a background check to buy bullets now.

If Texas hasn't left yet California has NO chance...

Old 11-14-2016, 09:33 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,228,286 times
Texas already tried and failed. We've got our act way more together now than they ever did when they left. We have more people, more resources (i.e. food/tech/access to the world's largest ocean, etc), and the world's sixth largest economy. While others might have failed before, California could be the first to succeed.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,628,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Texas already tried and failed. We've got our act way more together now than they ever did when they left. We have more people, more resources (i.e. food/tech/access to the world's largest ocean, etc), and the world's sixth largest economy. While others might have failed before, California could be the first to succeed.
That doesn't mean the rest of the country will let us leave. It's precisely these reasons that they wouldn't allow it. How would the USA look without its tech powerhouse, food, trade ports, natural beauty, economy, etc.?

Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 PM

979 posts, read 486,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Trump winning the presidency surprised just about everyone. It took a special kind of awful candidate on the Democrat side for it to even be remotely possible. To their shame, the Democrats happily obliged this year, offering up Hillary Clinton as their nominee -- making the seemingly impossible possible. But ultimately, any American getting elected POTUS has a pathway that makes logical sense and can reasonably be expected to occur under the right circumstances.

Calexit doesn't have the same sort of logical path. Its path is littered with brick wall after brick wall after brick wall. It's a bad idea for everyone involved, especially for the remaining 49 states.

That's because your Fox New loving twits in America haven't really thought it through. They're allowing their disagreement over California's politics cloud their judgement and make them stupid. I expect much of it has to do with wishing that California and its 55 guaranteed Democrat electoral votes would just go away. California is one of the most important parts of the United States and everyone right thinking America fully realizes it. What could be more American than Hollywood (minus their politics), Disneyland, Universal Studios, Six Flags, the San Francisco Bay, the Redwoods and California's beaches? Dozens if not hundreds of things in California could be added to that list, but I think you get the idea.

True, you never know until you try it. Still, all past secessionist movements in the 20th and 21st century have typically garnered less than 1% of the popular vote. I've already pointed out the problems that breaking away presents, but another one is pretty simple to understand: Fragmentation into smaller and smaller countries ultimately leads to chaos. The world needs to work towards unification, not disunity. The "irreconcilable differences" between Cali and the rest of the USA aren't all that significant. It's not as though California and the west coast are some giant counter-cultural phenomenon to the rest of the United States. Californians are pretty typical Americans when it comes right down to it.

Sure, but you've got to actually gain independence for that to actually matter. End of the day, I seriously doubt 99.9% of Californians actually want to secede. If we see evidence to the contrary then we'll have something substantial to talk about.
I would normally have to agree with you that something like this would probably never happen, but we have seen the American people make an irrational decision to pick Trump as the president, therefore it wouldn't shock me if Republican states agreed to let the west coast states out of the Union in an irrational ideal without thinking it through on what it would mean for the rest of the country. Most of the conservatives think that liberal run west coast states are some sort of leech on the country, even though that is factually untrue.

Of course we are just debating hypothetical ideas until actually polling is done, and people actually vote on something like this. I bet the EU also thought England wouldn't leave. We live in a very odd time, if there was a time for something like this to happen in the US, I would say it would be this current era.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:42 PM

979 posts, read 486,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

Defense and currency isn't an issue, California could easily use the US Dollar as their currency, a number of countries currently do that as well. As for defense, it wouldn't be hard for California to work up defense agreements with other countries in order to create a defense and help them grow a defense. Look at Israel, they found themselves a sugar daddy to prop up all their military expenses, and California doesn't live in a hostile area like Israel does.

It wouldn't be a hassle to visit people outside of California, all they would need is a passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.