Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Today, even if a couple works, it's not guaranteed. It used to be the husband works and you'll just be fine like you mentioned. Now that even if both work, it will still not be fine? Something is wrong with this picture. If you dive into this further and ask, well where's all the money at? You've found the problem. We're spending too much money on defense and not enough on ourselves. Shoving down the toilet R&D and instead building missiles and tanks. Instead of creating good paying jobs like in the tech industry, we rather invest in last generation technologies and "factory" jobs. Being friendly with big corporations and stockholders (which are primarily baby boomers now and their retirement funds) while shafting the younger generation by reducing government support on things that allows the younger generation to be competitive (education, healthcare, R&D), free college doesn't equal college degrees, you still have to WORK for it.

It's not because it's all about free stuff, no. It's about the right priorities and the GOP does not have a good track record of helping the middle class or those wanting to enter the middle class right now. Most of the millennials who you speak of including myself was alive and observing during Bush's presidency and look at what has happened.
The days of a middle class family having everything they need with a stay at home spouse was back in the big defense days. The days when we made everything from steel to spacecraft. We were going to the moon, building missles , tanks, the entire interstate system, etc. Universities actually trained kids to compete, not give out hugs when things don't work out.

There's an election every 2 years. There's only 2 political parties. Get used to losing something very frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 11:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
And I responded to the OP as to why that's taking place.

I see the (faux) outrage over students' reaction to the election, but none for someone suggesting they all commit suicide.
Son,

You are making no sense in response to what I posted.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:50 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
Quote:
Given the attitudes of the American people, we'll never be a tech powerhouse if we keep this up.
Can't even pass legislation that lowers the interest rate on student loans, let alone make it free. How are you supposed to encourage students to pursue STEM if you pile all this burden and say, gotta work for it by working at Wal-Mart and McDonalds. That's crap. Other countries PAY you to go to school to study something that benefits everyone (i.e STEM) because the ROI is worth it. We don't think so in this country and that's the problem.
I paid off my 65K in school loans. I didn't ask for someone to make it free. Which majors should we have to pay for? Your suggesting I should pay more taxes for someone to spend 4 years getting an art degree? Do I get a refund on my tax dollars if the art major doesn't make a meaningful contribution? Not everyone needs to go to college. I worked while in school, had roomates, lived sparsely. Can't the snowflakes do this?

Old 11-10-2016, 11:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Given the attitudes of the American people, we'll never be a tech powerhouse if we keep this up.
Can't even pass legislation that lowers the interest rate on student loans, let alone make it free. How are you supposed to encourage students to pursue STEM if you pile all this burden and say, gotta work for it by working at Wal-Mart and McDonalds. That's crap. Other countries PAY you to go to school to study something that benefits everyone (i.e STEM) because the ROI is worth it. We don't think so in this country and that's the problem.
You are partly correct. But you only see half the picture. The other half is the national obsession with enrolling virtually every young American in colleges and universities for which they are not remotely qualified to attend. Our tertiary system is flooded with unprepared and unmotivated students, resulting in grade inflation, the lowering of academic standards, and the creation of pseudoacademic "disciplines" like gender studies, recreational management, LGBTQ theory, etc. The (largely European) countries to which you refer strictly enforce stringent admissions criteria and stream students from the early years of secondary education into technical, academic, or vocational institutions. Your reference to STEM is unintentionally humorous given the inability of contemporary American undergraduates to handle diverse viewpoints without "safe spaces" and "comfort zones". It's no wonder that differential calculus presents potential psychological trauma to such fragile flowers...

Old 11-10-2016, 11:51 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The days of a middle class family having everything they need with a stay at home spouse was back in the big defense days. The days when we made everything from steel to spacecraft. We were going to the moon, building missles , tanks, the entire interstate system, etc. Universities actually trained kids to compete, not give out hugs when things don't work out.

There's an election every 2 years. There's only 2 political parties. Get used to losing something very frequently.
Right now as it stands, defense is still a huge portion of spending. We basically have our arses in every corner of the world. It's unnecessary, we have neighbors called NATO to help (well maybe not anymore in a few years if Trump keeps up his claim of getting out of NATO). The new "big defense" today is energy and to some degree I'd argue, infrastructure spending to modernize the system. There aren't any big R&D investments anymore like going to the Moon. This country is even politicizing basic scientific R&D like even getting rid of NASA. There's no motivation for students to go to college due to the burden of student loans, let alone the grant programs are under attack. It's sickening.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I paid off my 65K in school loans. I didn't ask for someone to make it free. Which majors should we have to pay for? Your suggesting I should pay more taxes for someone to spend 4 years getting an art degree? Do I get a refund on my tax dollars if the art major doesn't make a meaningful contribution? Not everyone needs to go to college. I worked while in school, had roomates, lived sparsely. Can't the snowflakes do this?
Yes and I did almost the same thing plus I have student loans myself. However, for the sake of my own kids and their futures, the country's competitive future, I would be willing to shift priorities to fund college education to encourage STEM fields, even if it may not be fair numbers-wise. I'm willing to make the sacrifice on behalf of the next generation.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Why can't they just blow off steam with other SJWs on Twitter or read some HuffPost articles?..

Universities offer counseling and
Yeah I am an adjunct at a university and I just got a safe spaces email for discussing how upset they may be about the outcome of the election.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You are partly correct. But you only see half the picture. The other half is the national obsession with enrolling virtually every young American in colleges and universities for which they are not remotely qualified to attend. Our tertiary system is flooded with unprepared and unmotivated students, resulting in grade inflation, the lowering of academic standards, and the creation of pseudoacademic "disciplines" like gender studies, recreational management, LGBTQ theory, etc. The (largely European) countries to which you refer strictly enforce stringent admissions criteria and stream students from the early years of secondary education into technical, academic, or vocational institutions. Your reference to STEM is unintentionally humorous given the inability of contemporary American undergraduates to handle diverse viewpoints without "safe spaces" and "comfort zones". It's no wonder that differential calculus presents potential psychological trauma to such fragile flowers...
I'd argue, the fundamental problem is not the college itself, but the culture of America. There's so many people that refer to a college degree as "just this piece of paper". If there was more respect for what it actually represents, then we would have more motivated students to learn. Rather than teach our kids, "everyone gets through this" vs. "you're going to school to learn something useful".

Old 11-10-2016, 12:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Son,

You are making no sense in response to what I posted.
Cat,

That's because what you posted in response to me was irrelevant to what I said. Try not to jump in unnecessarily, and you won't be confused.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:06 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
play-doh and coloring books for the creampuffs. i used to think U of M was a prestigious school..

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/11...pe-with-trump/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections