Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 05:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
OP, oh. please. Trump will easily be a two term president if he does 20% of what he's promised. Sucks to be a lefty these days (well, always).
Haha. We can revisit this in four years. Who knows, he may well prove me wrong. He's certainly proven a lot of people wrong. But as it stands I don't see him ever appealing to the millennial generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Too funny.
Here's an idea, run better candidates next time and you won't need your wacky coalition of sore losers.
Yes, Trump beat the weakest democratic candidate in recent history.

You all are missing the point of the post... even in four years he will have a lasting effect on politics and policy in America. I'm appealing to people who are concerned about human rights issues to forward those interests in the most effective way possible under the future administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 05:24 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yes, Trump beat the weakest democratic candidate in recent history.
LOL. 3 days ago, Hillary was the most qualified candidate EVAH!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
LOL. 3 days ago, Hillary was the most qualified candidate EVAH!
Qualified doesn't equal a strong candidate. She had too much baggage and at the end of the day most people, even democrats, didn't like her that much. She never captured the energy Barack Obama captured, it's as simple as that. And Trump did, I will give him that. So now it means we have to play Trump's game for four years.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

now this is not to say that a second term is a foregone conclusion, far from it. he is going to have to earn that second term. but who is going to step up from the democrat party and challenge him? bernie sanders? really? he is too weak a candidate. trump would mop the floor with him, especially if trump has a decent first term.
The democrats will have three years find one. Unlike this cycle which everyone knew was going to be Hillary no matter how much manipulation there needed to be, I think we pretty much have a blank slate now and we will have learned some valuable lessons from this past cycle that won't be repeated. For the record, if Hillary had won, I would have said she was a one-term president too who would have lost in 2020 had she beat Trump.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:43 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
This much is clear: Trump will be a one-term president. The democrats squandered a vital opportunity by passing over Bernie Sanders. This was the baby boomer's last "F- YOU" to the millennial generation, but we will not be broken. OUR voice is not lost, and OUR voice will be LOUDER than the voices of those who elected Trump, all it will take is a candidate who can speak for us and is not categorically flawed the way a Clinton is.

But the effects of this future administration will be felt long after these four years. Be prepared for Trump to nominate, and the Republican senate to confirm, ultra-conservative justices to the Supreme Court, who will serve for several decades thereafter. I fully expect the democrats to rightfully and deservedly make this process a living hell for the republicans, but expect it to happen.

Expect Pence to be a much more involved and powerful vice president while Trump is out feeding his ego, golfing, or showing up to court for his 75+ pending lawsuits. Expect a concerted effort among Pence and his ilk to systematically erode the progress that has been made regarding LGBT rights. Do not ever forget that this man supports electroshock therapy for LGBT folks.

Nevertheless, discrimination during the Trump administration will not be as blatant as you might think it will be, and will mostly be under the guise of "states' rights". States will, under Trump, have carte blanche to do as they please on a spectrum of issues. He may be a demagogue and a fascist, but I don't think he or Pence are THAT stupid and presumptuous to expect states like California and Massachusetts to bow to the oppressive social policy positions they have adopted. So he'll let them do what they want.

If we are to get through these next four years, we have to play by Trump's rules, and in Trump's America, it's all about the $$$. The bulk of this country's wealth is concentrated in liberal cities and states, so we have a lot more leverage than we may realize. If he wants to truly make America GREAT again he will have to make it great for everyone, and if his administration wants to allow states to marginalize certain segments of the population and make America not great for them, we will make them pay for it in spades, and here's how:

Say the Supreme Court has overturned marriage equality, and Florida (not picking on you just using as an example) wants to discriminate against LGBT populations by banning gay marriage. Don't vacation in Florida. Don't purchase goods produced in Florida. Take your children to Disney Land instead of Disney World. Reward the states that recognize YOU as a person, and/or the ones you love, and punish the ones that don't. Build up the jurisdictions that have YOUR back and turn your back on the ones that don't. Hell, MOVE if you can/have to. Companies need to move elsewhere. Entertainers should abstain from their trades in Florida. We need to do everything we can to keep our money from going into those types of places. Make them feel it in the coffers, turn the law they're trying to pass into a failed venture and a bad business move, until they bend to our will and walk away from it the way Trump walked away from his bankruptcies. That's how money talks, and that's the language Trump speaks. It may never work in places like Mississippi and Alabama that have always been poor states, but don't think for a minute that there aren't plenty of states with a LOT of $$$$ to lose. See Florida, North Carolina, Texas, Georgia, Arizona, etc..

It worked swimmingly well in Pence's home state of Indiana, but we need to be united now more than ever.
Time starts now, 2020 will be judgement day. I'm with you right there fellow millennial. So tired of being stepped on, shafted of opportunities only to be called lazy and entitled by the baby boomers.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:53 PM

465 posts, read 303,792 times
Quote:
Haha. We can revisit this in four years. Who knows, he may well prove me wrong. He's certainly proven a lot of people wrong. But as it stands I don't see him ever appealing to the millennial generation.
OP how old are you and how long have you had a career or part of the working class? If you're still in college, let's see if your feelings change 2-3 years into a job. If you just started working, let's see how you feel five years into a career.

My point is that people don't carry the same exact political beliefs cycle to cycle. 2020 will present us with a different setting and you'll be four years older and wiser living with maybe different circumstances.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
OP how old are you and how long have you had a career or part of the working class? If you're still in college, let's see if your feelings change 2-3 years into a job. If you just started working, let's see how you feel five years into a career.

My point is that people don't carry the same exact political beliefs cycle to cycle. 2020 will present us with a different setting and you'll be four years older and wiser living with maybe different circumstances.
I'm 30 years old thank you very much. I worked through college, and have been working and living on my own and paying my fair share of taxes since I completed my education. But I'm a gay male who feels personally offended by Trump. However, had he gotten a VP like Kasich, Trump would be an easier pill to swallow. But I've seen what Mike Pence is about and what he has done in my home state of Indiana. I actually despise Mike Pence many orders of magnitude more than I do Trump, who I simply feel is unqualified. I actually don't think Trump will follow through with most of what he says. While I think Trump is also temperamentally unfit, I would like to think there are enough people around him to keep him from making disastrous errors out of impulse. But this election was more about social issues for me personally and I see Pence as having a heavy hand in this administration, which I find extremely disturbing.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:07 PM

1,327 posts, read 722,963 times
Well, it's gonna suck to be you for the next eight years unless you mature a bit.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
Well, it's gonna suck to be you for the next eight years unless you mature a bit.
If by "mature" you mean sit idly by and watch the human rights we have worked for over the last two decades be stripped away, no I will most certainly not. If they leave those rights alone, then no harm no foul.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:18 PM

1,327 posts, read 722,963 times
Oh please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections