Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:38 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,450,405 times

Advertisements

Gregg Popovich on the election of Donald Trump: 'We are Rome'

Couldn't have said it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 11:20 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,051,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
The first mistake by the DNC was not understanding that Bernie was what the people wanted and needed. The second mistake was by the people that did not fall into line after Hillary became the nominee and wasted a vote out of spite or rebellion. It was dire. It was an emergency and the a-holes didn't get it. We needed to keep Trump out of The White House as this was not just a run of the mill election and way too much was at stake.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:29 PM

4,654 posts, read 4,094,247 times
A bit of a history lesson.

The Roman Republic, the most successful republic in history, began to deteriorate when Gaius Marius, a Populare, the ancient equivalent of a democrat, stockpiled power by taking successive illegal consulships. Eventually, he tried to buy off the tribunate at which point Sulla marched on Rome and declared himself dictator.

Sulla eventually voluntarily relinquished his power, but the damage was done, and people like Clodius and Milo made a mockery of the system, while Cataline attempted a revolution in the name of leveling, re-distributionist principles.

The knife to the republic came when Caesar, another populare, became dictator in all but name. He was assassinated, but the writing was on the wall, and his two successors, Antony and Octavian, contended for power with Octavian winning and formally creating the principate.

So, are we Rome? Well, yes. We also have leftists politicians parallel to Marius, Cataline, Caesar and Octavian taking power illegally. A great example is Obama's open support of illegal immigration, refusal to enforce immigration laws, urging illegals to vote, and using executive orders to support illegal immigration.

A right wing dictator is inevitable. It is not Trump yet, but he is coming. We have our Marius, now we will get our Sulla.

The lesson to be learned here--force leftist politicians to obey the laws before it is too late.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:33 PM

17,281 posts, read 11,138,898 times
Here's some history you didn't mention. Rome from it's humble beginning to it's end lasted about 1000 years. No nation lasts forever, no matter how powerful.
1000 years isn't too shabby is it?

Old 11-11-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here's some history you didn't mention. Rome from it's humble beginning to it's end lasted about 1000 years.
The traditional date of the founding of Rome is 753AD (though archeologists say it is older) and the tradtional dae of the fall of the empire in the west is 476, so a bit longer than a thousand years. The empire continued in the east until 1453, and Rome as a city exists to this day. I am happy to say that I just paid a visit a couple of months ago.

Quote:
No nation lasts forever, no matter how powerful.
Really not the issue. The issue is that we are seeing leftists politicans highjack our republic, just as happened in Rome.

Rome did not have a thousand years as a republic.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:50 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,769,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The first mistake by the DNC was not understanding that Bernie was what the people wanted and needed. The second mistake was by the people that did not fall into line after Hillary became the nominee and wasted a vote out of spite or rebellion. It was dire. It was an emergency and the a-holes didn't get it. We needed to keep Trump out of The White House as this was not just a run of the mill election and way too much was at stake.
Completely agreed with all of this.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Here's some history you didn't mention. Rome from it's humble beginning to it's end lasted about 1000 years. No nation lasts forever, no matter how powerful.
Well, San Marino lasted longer, so ...

Old 11-11-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
A right wing dictator is inevitable. It is not Trump yet, but he is coming. We have our Marius, now we will get our Sulla.
Only in your dreams.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Only in your dreams.
No, I find it regrettable. But that is what history tells us. You are completely ignorant of history so I would not expect you to understand.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:02 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yep. Bernie was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. He was mayor of Burlington when I lived there many years ago. Everybody loves Bernie: says what he means, means what he says. And the really tragic thing is that he's the one who actually would have brought the jobs back home (probably by, like Germany, putting such onerous taxes on corporations that offshored, that it wouldn't have been worth it to them to offshore: more than 90% of German manufacturing remains in Germany, last time I checked); would have made it possible for the children of the working class to go to college without getting into ridiculous debt; would have brought us into the 21st century in terms of retooling energy (few people know, for example, that there is enough geothermal energy to fuel the nation for 1,000 years, or that many, many broken and abused coal miners would give their left arm to be retrained to work in solar and wind factories). Bernie is the one that Wall Street hates [i]with a passion[i], their worst nightmare. So they were quite relieved when they only had to worry about Clinton. The Trump supporters threw their lot in with the totally wrong guy--which is always the risk when you vote party line, instead of educating yourself across party lines. That said, the right-wing media (totally owned by Wall Street--but to be fair, so is the liberal media, just not so maniacally) has so thoroughly brainwashed working-class Republicans that they now consider liberals--and certainly someone like me, I'm sure--as being their enemy. They actually hate us, their fellow Americans, who are equally suffering, while identifying more with the rich and powerful. It's the weirdest, saddest thing I think I've ever seen in my lifetime.

Last edited by OrganicSmallHome; 11-12-2016 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections