Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,388,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
$5 per tomato would never happen. A person can pick over 100 tomatoes per hour. So an increase of labor cost of even $5/hr, would only increase the cost of a tomato by a few cents.

I don't think we will see large price increases if we lose a few million illegals. I don't think that those who are in favor or keeping wages low are trying to help consumers. They are trying to increase profits. O
Our Governor has called for CONVICTS to work the fields. Also, fight fires!!!! FREE labor. Like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 07:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,301,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trump says he will deport 2 to 3 million immediately

Typical con-man, gets what he wants from people (votes) then changes the deal.

Donald Trump promises 'deportation force' to move 11M - CNNPolitics.com
Its great to see the left upset because not enough illegals are going to be deported..

Old 11-13-2016, 07:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,301,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Our Governor has called for CONVICTS to work the fields. Also, fight fires!!!! FREE labor. Like that?
Convicts should be doing the work the government should be doing, not contracted out to the private sector. Fighting fires, good idea.. working the fields, completely disagree with. It'll create an incentive to buy influence in order to have access to the lower priced labor.. Picking up trash, shoveling snow etc.. things to reduce taxes, is where they should be focusing the need for work for them.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:33 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,376,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
To the boxcar comment, Trump has said it will be done as humanely as possible.

Is Obama using boxcars? We are proudly told he has deported millions. How did he do it that nobody noticed?

Old 11-13-2016, 07:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,376,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
The problem is that Obama has been deporting people, but Trump made it sound like nothing was being done. The truth is that he's only going to be doing what Obama is doing, which is hardly radical change.
When Obama deports people nobody notices. When Trump deports people, agents are kicking in doors, dragging children away from mothers arms and put them on ICE bus convoys. If it is already being done, then what are ou complaining about?

Old 11-13-2016, 07:38 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,388,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
BS.
we absolutely grow haas avocados and tomatoes in the United States.
I said HASS Avocados. Yes, I know Florida (live here) grows those big, green avocados. Not as good as the Mexican Hass. You I won't be able to get the Mexican Avocados? American ONLY. Trade in my Japanese car too?

Old 11-13-2016, 08:19 PM

63,430 posts, read 29,458,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're sounding more and more bitter with every delusional post. Just because we finally have a President who intends to enforce currently laws, you're world isn't going to end. Be brave.

I know, and that's the reason I am putting him on ignore. He is just here antagonizing and pushing the liberal lies and agenda.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:27 PM

63,430 posts, read 29,458,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Drive down the Central Valley and you'll say different. There are many more Latinos working in the agriculture industry than whites.

Why would you just mention whites? How about blacks, Asians, etc.? Hmm. 98% of crop pickers, Latino or not are here on visas. They aren't illegal aliens.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:41 PM

19,930 posts, read 12,226,209 times
Quote:
I live in South Florida where much of the off season tomatoes, besides California, come from. Workers get paid by the bushel of how many tomatoes they can pick, not hourly wages. They are migrant farm workers. If Americans want these these jobs,these farms would have to pay at least the Minimum Wage. Does America want to spend $5/per tomato, or $15/per Hass avocado from Mexico? Those are not grown in the states. I would bet not.

Edit: Then there is also Saffron used in Spanish, Italian, and Indian cooking. Extremely expensive. That comes from Spain (not Mexico) and Italy. America cannot grow that either. Tariffs on that too?? Everything cannot be Made in America.

The Hass variety was discovered in La Habra Heights, California, in the 1920's by Rudolph Hass. In fact, every Hass avocado in the world can trace it's lineage to the original Hass Mother Tree.

https://www.avocadocentral.com/about...ss-mother-tree

The California Avocado Difference | California Avocado Commission

Old 11-14-2016, 04:22 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,416,474 times
Quote:
I live in South Florida where much of the off season tomatoes, besides California, come from. Workers get paid by the bushel of how many tomatoes they can pick, not hourly wages. They are migrant farm workers. If Americans want these these jobs,these farms would have to pay at least the Minimum Wage. Does America want to spend $5/per tomato, or $15/per Hass avocado from Mexico? Those are not grown in the states. I would bet not.
Nor would that be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections