Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The promise of something free. That's why Bernie Sanders was so popular.
Its the promise of a candidate that actually is beholden to no one but the people, unlike the puppets Wall Street, big donors and special interests that are swarming the swamp at the moment. You cant vote against Goldman Sachs in America. The donor class have rigged the economy and anyone who cant see that is blind. You talk as if losing the Democratic primary as a result of old loyal democrats and black people overwhelmingly voting for Hillary somehow makes it very unlikely that those hillary demographics would vote for him in the General election.

When polled during the primaries, black people in the South answered that they believed Sanders would reward his wealthy donors once in office. It goes to show what an uphill battle it was for Sanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 01:47 PM

712 posts, read 843,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
what would it take to get most of them out?
Run Hillary again in 2020! by then EVERYBODY will get out and vote AGAINST the old hag

Last edited by oldoak2000; 11-17-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 03:44 PM

1,504 posts, read 852,966 times
The safe place thing has to go...welcome to the planet earth where in the human and animal kingdom there are dangers....what about a safe place in time? In time none of us are safe...we get sick...we age...we die...who is going to make mortal beings totally safe all the time....

Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,292,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
what would it take to get most of them out?
The problem with courting young voters is that they are naive to the system. They hear somebody say "We're going to win this" and take if for granted that it's a foregone conclusion, so they stay home.

The same thing hurt John Kerry in 2004 and, to a lesser extent, Al Gore in 2000.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:05 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,674,826 times
Lack of enthusiasm over candidate Clinton. The bad taste of conspiracy against Bernie in their mouths. The big business ties the first Clinton president injected into the Democratic Party, giving the impression of elitism in the first place.
Take your pick.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,515,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Because they didn't like Hillary anymore than they liked Trump.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Lack of enthusiasm over candidate Clinton. The bad taste of conspiracy against Bernie in their mouths. The big business ties the first Clinton president injected into the Democratic Party, giving the impression of elitism in the first place.
Take your pick.
And yes.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:18 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Because the Media lied made it look like Hillary was going to win in a huge landslide.... so why vote? That is why I made sure I voted for Trump . Just to prove the lies to be BS.
I never saw any numbers that said "landslide." The polls I saw showed Trump continually climbing and Clinton continually dropping. In the last few weeks, they were within single digits of each other, putting Trump in "field goal" range.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:20 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,531,184 times
Hitler might be elected in the Us today. If he just kept repeating "someone is going to come to take your gun if you don't vote for me" like the normal GOP does, than I could see it. You convince that the opposition hates everything about your lifestyle. Basically spread hate and fear like Trump did. Hitler did the same thing.

Register Muslims? Good idea. Sounds familiar.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:23 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,908,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Because he is not a so called Adolf Hitler, Trump is more of a Ronald Reagan.
Trump and Reagan have never balanced budgets in their lives.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:25 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I agree the main stream media making it look like an easy win for Hillary probably kept some kids at home, but I honestly think it is Hillary's personality. Young people loved Obama's personality, I think this is something that is still to this day downplayed, because most people are probably subconsciously attracted to Obama's personality. Hillary is bland and boring, I think even an honest Hillary supporter would agree. Besides being a female and the outfits, the outward appearance of Hillary is a typical politician. She just isn't fun and exciting.
Sanders spoke to the immediate interests of both Millennials and older working people--which Clinton never did. Both Millennials and working people are acutely concerned about "how am I going to find and keep a job?" and "how am I going to pay my debts?" Sanders spoke on those issues, Clinton never did.

Clinton spoke mostly on feminist issues, and we later found out that her entire campaign was a fully feminist drive to make her the first female president, "best" candidate be damned. Her attacks on even female Millennials who favored Sanders indicated that she didn't get where their heads were at.

The two big battles of Clinton's lifetime--racism and feminism--simply don't resonate that strongly with Millennial, who largely don't see it among themselves as the major issue of their lives. Sanders was right, and it has to be said again like every election: "It's about the economy, stupid!"

As old as Sanders now is, Millennials found and respected the photographs of a young Sanders marching with King and being rousted by police. That was "old man been keeping it real for 50 years."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections