Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,769,454 times

Advertisements

I heard Hitler waived his salary too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:02 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,630,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
is to simply put the salary in to a trust until after the presidency is over. Then decide were the money shall go.... after presidency in order to avoid any potential or perceived conflicts of interest.
^^^^^ This is an excellent idea.

It solves two problems:

1. Avoids criticism of which charity would be selected re donating the salary to charity while he is in office.

2. If there is some sort of rule about a $1 net, it avoids quibbling about whether or not that $1 is the actual net result.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:10 AM

15,018 posts, read 12,228,733 times
Quote:
I believe it is unconstitutional. This is not about left/right. It is written. I think the precedence goes back to George Washington who originally refused salary as the reluctant president he was in history. There was concerns over external influences that may be leverage on an unpaid president as well as pressure among other government officials to be ashamed of taking salary. Of course, those times were different.

The way I see it is similar in a business transaction. Payment is part of making sure that both sides honor their agreement... it is a binding factor in the agreement. Both have skin in the game.. so the speak.

Article II, section 1, clause 7

"The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be encreased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them."

I think there is nothing that would stop Trump from accepting the salary and placing it in a trust to be later contributed to charity. Considering that the media accuses Trump of not being charitable, this would further dispel that press.

Perhaps we should stop dumping things into the left and right bucket and actually start thinking.
Well, if it makes you feel better, you may consider the other taxpayer funded assets that Trump will use as president. Including residence in the White House, the use of Air Force One, several helicopters, other vehicles for travel, inumerable staff members paid by the government (taxpayers), for starters. He has said he will not accept the salary as president but he may well designated where that money is to be spent, we just don't know.

I don't think there is any way to dispel the clamoring of the press to find anything they can to discredit the man-they will find something to criticise no matter what he does. The idiocy of these latests attacks on him, "lack of transparency" for not notifying them or including them in a private family dinner, and foregoing a presidential salary being "unconstitutional" ought to make that patently obvious.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM

15,018 posts, read 12,228,733 times
Quote:
Its not like a business entity in which the stakeholders can lower or raise salary of the CEO at will. They would need congress to set the presidential salary to $1 prior to his term (which is certainly possible). It is unconstitutional to adjust the salary of the president during his term.
Boy, that's some stretch if I ever heard one.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:15 AM

29,636 posts, read 16,622,096 times
Donald Trump by his own estimates is worth a couple of billion dollars. The truth is that he doesnt need to take a salary, he has financial support outside the presidency.

Other President did not have that, and needed their salaries.

I dont get someone cheering this as if he is some poor man who chose not to take it because he believes that he shouldnt. He simply can afford not to.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:20 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,148,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Boy, that's some stretch if I ever heard one.

Article II, Section 1, Clause 7

"The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them."

Read the constitution. I'm not sure if they acted tomorrow if it qualifies as prior to Trumps period in office thus resulting in a $1 salary.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:21 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,278,920 times
I really have no time for hateful, spiteful and mean minded people. The Media is just that. The people most especially the journalists at these outlets are a different breed entirely. The more of these senseless attacks on Trump, the more support be gets in the long run. In talking to some former Hillary voters at work, they all disagree with how the Media is engaged in an intensified campaign against Trump.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:22 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,148,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I would like to see Trump take the salary and then donate it to Veterans Charities.
I think that would be great! However, I would still opt to do it after his term is finished to avoid any perceived conflicts of interest. In this political climate, someone will always find a way to object to whatever charity is chosen.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:22 AM

39,905 posts, read 26,600,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thank you, Mark Dice! The Loons on the left are truly something else. If this wasn't such a serious issue, their ridiculousness would be laughable.
With this kind of foolishness (let alone the butt-hurt over not being invited to dinner with Trump) the MSM is reinforcing the image of just how foolish, out of touch and corrupt they really are. Many networks (esp CNN and NBC) have proven themselves irrelevant as actual news stations.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:29 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,630,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, if it makes you feel better, you may consider the other taxpayer funded assets that Trump will use as president. Including residence in the White House, the use of Air Force One, several helicopters, other vehicles for travel, inumerable staff members paid by the government (taxpayers), for starters. He has said he will not accept the salary as president but he may well designated where that money is to be spent, we just don't know.
Yep. And Trump will be the first POTUS since probably JFK who can afford all of those things for himself irrespective of being POTUS.

Quote:
I don't think there is any way to dispel the clamoring of the press to find anything they can to discredit the man-they will find something to criticise no matter what he does. The idiocy of these latests attacks on him, "lack of transparency" for not notifying them or including them in a private family dinner, and foregoing a presidential salary being "unconstitutional" ought to make that patently obvious.
I wouldn't think it would be difficult to put the POTUS salary (not his other holdings) in a trust, but it would be interesting to see if the media would attempt to whine about it in real time if he did create that type of trust instrument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections