Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 09:08 AM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
For starters, his refusal to turn loose of his business interests.

Those interests pose a conflict to his actions as President. If Trump makes a political decision that directly helps one of his hotels or anything else of his, there's a law that says it is an impeachable offense.

That's why other wealthy Presidents of the past have put everything they have into a blind trust. Trump could still access his wealth at any time, but as a blind trust, he would simply have no direct control over the management.
That does not mean he won't know how his businesses are doing, and it does not mean he has no say in selecting his trustees. He can replace one if necessary or if he wants to.

This is why he's being so cagey about handing it all over right now. He's trying to find some way to squirrel around the law, but it's very direct, clearly written, and simple. Getting around it is impossible without a Constitutional amendment.

If his plans do not meet the legal requirements, then he could face impeachment.

And most likely will, just as soon as he takes the oath of office, if he doesn't do the right thing the right way. Given his deep love for Putin, President Pence could be the best thing that ever happened to the GOP.
I remember one of your posts from back in the summer dismissing his candidacy and announcing that Trump would be a minor footnote in the history books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 09:12 AM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Considering The Wicked Witch of the West (aka Nancy Pelosi) thinks that the democrats don't need to change, I doubt that they would field him as a presidential candidate. Unless...the dems somehow come to their senses and realize that for them, it's change or die out.
I can foresee the possibility of the old guard Democrats like Pelosi sabotaging the climb of more moderate and younger Democrats who want to move their party in a different direction. A clash of generations and older Ds who really do NOT want to give up the power and privilege they have built for themselves over decades.

More on Kander here:
https://www.jasonkander.com/meet-jason/

Old 12-24-2016, 09:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I can foresee the possibility of the old guard Democrats like Pelosi sabotaging the climb of more moderate and younger Democrats who want to move their party in a different direction. A clash of generations and older Ds who really do NOT want to give up the power and privilege they have built for themselves over decades.

More on Kander here:
Many of the younger Democrats are NOT 'more moderate'.

They are far more progressive than Pelosi and Kander.

It will be interesting.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:23 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,127,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Tulsi Gabbard and Sherrod Brown are looking like strong candidates in 2020.

Kander did well in the senate race though. Will likely win next time around.
I cannot see Tulsi Gabbard winnning a nomination.

A) She is a genuine patriot and the sine qua non of the Democratic party is bashing America.

B) She openly stated that Obama should do more to link Islam with terrorism and part of the Democratic party platform is rationalizing terrorism and defending Islam while bashing Christians.

C) She appears to be a lovely woman and to represent the Democrats on a national level as a woman you have to be an ugly old hag who comes off as deranged substitute teacher.

D) I would consider voting for her and no one that I would vote for will ever get close to a Democratic nomination.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:24 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,557,978 times
Tulsi Gabbard and Nina Turner should start a new Progressive Party. Let the Dems die, they're too sick to save.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:12 AM

1,743 posts, read 993,792 times
Quote:
I remember one of your posts from back in the summer dismissing his candidacy and announcing that Trump would be a minor footnote in the history books.
And of course, the same person is posting false information!

The claim that Trump must give up his businesses or face impeachment for conflicts of interest is cr@p!

Trump, as president, has no legal obligation to detach himself from his businesses and financial interests.

Heck, he can even accept "gifts" while others cannot!

The President and Vice President are exempt from "Conflicts of Interest".

I 'think' that congress and Federal Judges are also exempt?

Old 12-25-2016, 06:18 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
It's 2016, Today's Date is 12-23-2016...... talking about 2020 at this point is absurd !!!!!!! We have not even made it to Jan. 20th, 2017.

Why are people salivating about the unknownto such a degree

So why are you participating in at topic that is clearly titled to be about 2020? Your actions speak louder than your words.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:43 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Gosh, I would think it isn't too soon for the Dems to get started on picking a "winner" for 2020 considering this last fiasco that played out.

I would say none mentioned will move forward. I am sure the party leaders already have someone in mind, probably someone they owe something or someone who is threatening them with blackmail.

What needs to happen is as the Democratic Party is still swirling in the toilet bowl, another party needs to get busy and rise to make the Dems obsolete.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:35 PM

22,486 posts, read 12,032,914 times
Quote:

More on Kander here:
^^^^Thanks for the link! He sounds like he is a bluedog democrat. Also, he sounds like he is an ethical person.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:46 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,295,216 times
Never vote for democrats. You wind up with Webbs who are responsible for laws like the ACA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections