Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 06:07 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,990,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
OP, don't ya regret posting hundreds of negative comments about Bernie Sanders in hope that he would not be nominated by DNC?
Always ending with "!", even in tears.
Well I dont regret but I appreciate all the work Bernie has done after the primaries

Old 11-22-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In another post on this thread you referred to yourself as an old woman.

I don't know any old women who write "I don't know man" .
I am a minority male in the mid 20's, ok?

Old 11-22-2016, 06:11 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,850,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I had an odd upbringing. My mother came from a well educated upper class WASP family. Off the top of my head, my maternal grandparents counted one POTUS, three governors, one SCOTUS Chief Justice, one SEC Chairman, two cabinet secretaries, several ambassadors, as well as assorted others among their personal friends. My father grew up in a well educated (Jesuit), middle class, Catholic, hard drinking, half Irish family. My parents were pretty clueless, generally pretty deficient as parents, and couldn't provide. The stability in my life came from my maternal grandparents. I had the most wonderful grandparents, in just about every way I can think of, that anyone could wish for in a million lifetimes. My parents divorced before I turned 10. On dad visitation days, my dad would often take me to seedy bars so he could drink, and then take me to church. My grandparents would take me to parties that were a part of their social whirl. Maintaining a certain social veneer was important in my mother's family. My father played along with that to a certain extent, but he could also see the parts of that that really didn't serve any purpose. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and most of my family on both sides also lived in the Bay Area. As a kid I got to spend a lot of time with both very different sides of my family (one of the bad things, IMO, about American society as it is today is not as many kids at any level get to experience that).

My maternal grandfather was probably the most patriotic person I have ever known. He was an officer in the US Navy in World War I (my grandparents were older than most grandparents when I was born). I don't think my grandfather ever knowingly purchased anything that wasn't made in the U.S. or the UK. The unspoken message that emanated from my grandfather...act like me, don't act like your father. Another message was that the POTUS should act with a certain level of decorum, or some might say proper bearing. My grandfather's personality might have been likened to Romney, and my father's personality was more like Trump's personality (although my father was in the Army, in the infantry, on the front lines during the Korean War...so he had that experience that Trump has never had). My grandfather treated my grandmother like a queen, and that respect radiated as an example for his grandsons. My grandfather was usually right, but there were some occasions where his advice was wrong, and my father's more blunt, perhaps uncouth, solutions were the correct solutions. I think I couldn't bring myself to support Trump because a certain group of the women in my family mean more to me than the men, and I felt supporting him would be disrespecting them. However, from the time he got the nomination I felt that if he became POTUS the greatest likelihood would be that he would end up at one extreme or the other....be one of the best ever, or one of the worst ever.

Whatever faults Trump has, I don't doubt that he loves this country. IMO, there is a certain force that emanates from from fellow citizens where you can just tell that they really love this country. To me, it's palpable. It is also NOT specific to ideology or political party. Trump has it. Romney has it. Bernie Sanders has it. Biden has it. Some of the Bushes do. Condoleezza Rice has it. Bill did, but that force has somehow dimmed within him. IMO, both Obama and Hillary do not have it. Sometimes it doesn't come from upbringing....it can come later. David Gregory didn't used to have it, but he does now. Chris Matthews doesn't have it.

With the sort of dual nature of my upbringing (and for other reasons), I feel as though I understand Trump, and I understand Romney, and to a certain extent I understand Obama. Hillary puzzles me though. The closest I come to understanding Hillary is by observing one of my relatives. She's a bit younger than Hillary, but still old enough to have parents of the same generation. She had a much more privileged upbringing than Hillary did, has had a great life, but there is something that just sort of gnaws at her. She never seems really happy or content. Oddly enough among one particular group of her friends, she is the only one who doesn't know Hillary personally. I can't stand Hillary, and that is not a new feeling. I've felt that way for over 20 years...I think a good chunk of my optimism now re 'the state of things to come'....society wise (I don't need anything personally)....may just come from the fact that Hillary won't be sworn in in January.

I you asked anyone in my family who is the highest quality person they've ever known is, I think everyone would pick my grandmother. She didn't need anything from anyone, but had hundreds of friends who would have done anything for her. Her kindness knew no bounds. She was very strong, but if she thought she had hurt anyone's feelings, it would ruin her day. IMO, she would be appalled at todays forced political correctness. The axe to grind nature of so many interactions. She wouldn't see the need for it. She could make anyone from any background feel welcome and comforted. IMO, people like Ben Carson, Allen West, Condoleezza Rice, etc. see beyond the haze that would appall my grandmother, ignore it or deal with it, and move on.... and that 'viewing beyond' that those individuals are able to mentally harness...IMO, it drives progressives crazy.

Before the election I believe the country right direction vs. wrong direction percentage was still above 65% in the wrong direction. In some ways I felt as though we were just continuing to arrange the proverbial deck chairs on the Titanic. That may still be the case, but it feels as though we may have more invigorating air to breathe.
Thank you RMESMH. You've led an interesting, what seems to be a chaotic life. Add what you've had to deal with especially your teen years, I'll bet that was fun trying to figure life out. Your experience goes to show you that no matter what your financial status you can have good or bad or clueless parents. Everyone's experience is different. Thankfully you had grandparents who kept you grounded.

I grew up working class, we didn't have the money like you but was happy. Raised to be respectful with good manners but never fake. I used to be a model photographer and take pics for charities for a local paper and watching the who's who, lets just say, it was entertaining. Hillary would have been right at home in the who's who crowd. We were a dinner and were seated with a group of liberals who seemed to be trying to prove to the other who was more helpful to the poor. Of course my husband and I never let on that we were conservative and didn't join the prove game. Although our financial situation is good I didn't feel the need to prove myself and I didn't like how they talked down on people as if it were not for them the poor wouldn't survive. We were able to excuse ourselves early on and mix with others that we enjoyed more.

As for Trumps remarks, yes, really ugly, but Hollywood has a history of treating women badly. And look at Jay Z, did you ever hear the lyrics in his music? Yet he campaigned with Hillary. And then there is DC (also known as ugly Hollywood). High class call girls has always been a booming business in DC. My point is, all of a sudden we expect everyone to be choir boys and girls? The whole thing was hypocritical. At least being brought out into the open anyone who was disgusted, men see how ugly it is when men treat women this way.

As for Obama, his thinking was very different. I do not believe he loves this country like Trump and the others you mentioned. I understand why blacks had great hope but sadly it didn't turn out that way. Hillary is of the world, not the country, more interested in personal wealth, power and stance among her peers, it's what I call fake.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:13 PM

Instead of blasting me being misinformed by the media, why don't you trump supporters think carefully how you were misled by the right wing conspiracists fabricating scandals about Hillary for more than 2 decades? If you simply think a bit more carefully you would have known they were were just desparate witch hunting persecution and I doubt anyone should even find them believable, let alone believing them.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I am a minority male in the mid 20's, ok?
Daywalk, look around you, your parents, your relatives, older friends. How are they doing in life? If they are doing good, great, but if they are not if you continue to allow them to lead you, you are looking at your future.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:17 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,086,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Instead of blasting me being misinformed by the media, why don't you trump supporters think carefully how you were misled by the right wing conspiracists fabricating scandals about Hillary for more than 2 decades? If you simply think a bit more carefully you would have known they were were just desparate witch hunting persecution and I doubt anyone should even find them believable, let alone believing them.
We aren't gullible fools like the people who believe what you just posted. My 6 year old is smart enough to know Hillary is corrupt.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:19 PM

14,138 posts, read 8,257,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I have an idea. We should let the Cleveland Indians share the title of World Series Champions. Why? Well, they scored the exact same number of runs as the Cubs! So, by the prevailing Dem crybaby logic, it doesn't matter that the Cubs won more individual games, only the number of runs should count! Good luck with that Cleveland.

I am sooo jacked up anticipating the number of liberal nervous breakdowns we will witness over the next 4 years!!

Hey Daywalk, it's Xanax time😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂!

If the World Series or the election results were based on different rules they would have been played according to such rules.

Libs want to go on about HC winning 1.5 more million votes? Fine but they should be far more concerned with why they lost the rust belt states

Me? I care about the USSC and the fact it will be Trump and not Clinton making the appointments.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM

33,555 posts, read 12,786,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The candidate who campaigned as the outsider for change in the primaries beat 16 others in his own party. Her campaign team didn't seem to notice and ran a traditional campaign. Her game of Identity Politics is only important to the people who were already voting for her. Nobody wants to say it but frankly, her campaign team did not learn a thing from the Jeb Bush campaign and re-ran the same campaign he did. Just like Bush, she raised and spent twice as much money as Trump and Trump got better results with less demonstrating he was more effective and efficient than she was. When she saw Trump breathing down her neck in swing states, Team Clinton was incapable of pivoting. Did she not notice the size of the crowds he drew in those states compared to the ones she drew despite the media pooh poohing that crowd sizes don't count? Have you heard a single person say they voted for Clinton because of Beyoncé?
Within the last week I read an article that gave little 'text snapshots' of some of the campaign stops/events during the last week of Hillary's campaign. Some on the staff realized that they were 'preaching to the choir'....that the people who were showing up weren't people who could be converted or motivated to vote...they were people who were already going to vote for her.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
If the World Series or the election results were based on different rules they would have been played according to such rules.

Libs want to go on about HC winning 1.5 more million votes? Fine but they should be far more concerned with why they lost the rust belt states

Me? I care about the USSC and the fact it will be Trump and not Clinton making the appointments.
I also questioned the electoral college years ago. I then did my research to understand why our founding fathers set our elections up as they did and after researching it made sense. Our founding fathers lived under the laws of a tyrannical king and after winning independence they put as much in place in an attempt to stop the U.S. from falling under a tyrannical government again. The only thing they missed is they thought they could count on a 4th estate to do it's job.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Daywalk, look around you, your parents, your relatives, older friends. How are they doing in life? If they are doing good, great, but if they are not if you continue to allow them to lead you, you are looking at your future.
The immediate aftermath of this election really demonstrated how messed up America is. Dow Jones is now at all time high because investors and fund managers are relieved trump won. He will reduce regulation on the banking sector and reduce tax to wealthy people and corporations.

On the other hand, millions of struggling Americans are mourning in fear and anxiety on social media. Some rave ones even brought their voice to the streets

The riches and the elites have now removed their mask after supporting trump all along but pretended to be against him in disguise so he can be casted as an outsider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections