Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why do so many democrats believe this election was stolen from them?
  • You've lost the presidency
  • The Senate did not flip majority over to the Dem
  • More seats lost in Congress to the GOP
  • There are now even more GOP Governors than before
  • Very soon the Supreme Court vacant seat will be filled by a President Trump nominee

The party has serious identity problems. I recall reading a NY Times article early this year that paints a somber roadmap for the Republicans and how the changing demographics in the country will shift the balance of power in favor of the Democrats. That hasn't happened across America it has happened to parts of the country that are melting pot states.

As a former Democrat supporter and now an independent, the party has leaned too far to the left for me and many of their progressive platforms aren't fully ready for the American audience.

A lot of liberals I talk to believe this election is important for them because Obama took too long to implement his vision. But they failed to realize that Democrat's platform is losing support across the country and Obama's power has diminished with each election.

The democrats have been losing power every year since Obama took office and they've been in denial over that fact because the media keeps believing that as long as the White House remains Democrat they have all the keys to the country.

How can the Democrat supporters not see and realize so much flaws in the party's platform and real signs out there that paints a bleak picture for the Dems. And also the failure to hold the media accountable for their deception and not report on what has been really happening across the country instead of painting everyone who is not with them as deplorable.
So how do you explain the fact that the GOP has lost the popular vote in the last 6 of 7 general elections?

The system is ironically rigged in favor of the GOP. They gerrymandered districts to help themselves win which actually does explain the House. They'll start losing that in 2023 when it ends.

People are simply moving to urban areas because that is where the jobs are. They are more diverse and they will outnumber older conservative white people in the future.

If we voted as a referendum like Brexit the Dems would have won 6 out of the last 7 elections. Your theory fails. The electoral college is an outdated mess and should be discarded. At the very least, there should be no winner take all states, so at least if a state was won by a razor thin margin, the candidate wouldn't get the other half of the state as well (this is not federal law and can be done). Obviously there are fewer and fewer people living in rural areas--some cannot even get physicians to live there.

Your logic is distorted. What is happening is the many are being forced to bend to the will of the few. I think this super-conservative crew that is coming in will finish off any of this propaganda that the country is going conservative. We're going to see the 60s-the Sequel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So how do you explain the fact that the GOP has lost the popular vote in the last 6 of 7 general elections?
Anyone who stayed awake during high school social studies can answer this question.

The US Presidency isn't decided by the popular vote. If it was, the results would be much much different.

Face it. You supported a crooked establishment career politician with more baggage than a Samsonite factory. You lost. Time to put on the big boy pants and move on .

Old 11-30-2016, 01:25 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:

The system is ironically rigged in favor of the GOP. They gerrymandered districts to help themselves win which actually does explain the House. They'll start losing that in 2023 when it ends.

People are simply moving to urban areas because that is where the jobs are. They are more diverse and they will outnumber older conservative white people in the future.

If we voted as a referendum like Brexit the Dems would have won 6 out of the last 7 elections. Your theory fails. The electoral college is an outdated mess and should be discarded. At the very least, there should be no winner take all states, so at least if a state was won by a razor thin margin, the candidate wouldn't get the other half of the state as well (this is not federal law and can be done). Obviously there are fewer and fewer people living in rural areas--some cannot even get physicians to live there.

Your logic is distorted. What is happening is the many are being forced to bend to the will of the few. I think this super-conservative crew that is coming in will finish off any of this propaganda that the country is going conservative. We're going to see the 60s-the Sequel.
Dems have an edge in the popular vote and always will thanks to California. Which the GOP Does not compete in or invest any resources despite its large population because it is guaranteed to go blue. The gap in that state will likely get bigger and bigger

Old 11-30-2016, 01:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:

Or you can say it's been rigged that way for the past 200+ years since the inception of the Electoral College. You're simply stating a path for Hillary's victory but she should have known and adjusted her strategy better. It's never likely to change the electoral college which requires an amendment. Getting the GOP to create an amendment and Trump to sign is about as low in probability as keeping the ACA.

I believe the Democrat strategists Podesta should be held accountable. He's been proven to be an armchair light-weight political strategist by listening to the media instead of doing his own research.

Trump had hundreds of people working on the frontlines at various battleground states by partnering with local GOP offices and gather voter demographics in the area and go out to drum up their support.

That's why Trump rallys have huge attendances in comparison to Hillary. The media has betrayed the democrats by hiding the fact that HRC was running a very unpopular campaign around battleground states because I often see youtube videos of actual Rallys. Hillary was filling small auditoriums and Trump was filling stadiums. He was seen as evangelical in many states while Hillary gotten a lot of activist supporters mostly from feminist and pro immigration groups to show up at her Rallys. A stark difference.

So instead of blaming on the rules of the game, trying coming up with a winning strategy. I actually believe HRC could win if she change some of her her stance and campaign slogan around. She just needed a certain % of white males and she'll easily beat Trump.

That whole painting Trump as a misogynist game just doesn't work when people want to know what are the Democrats going to do about jobs.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM

979 posts, read 490,995 times
Quote:
  • Very soon the Supreme Court vacant seat will be filled by a President Trump nominee

The party has serious identity problems. I recall reading a NY Times article early this year that paints a somber roadmap for the Republicans and how the changing demographics in the country will shift the balance of power in favor of the Democrats. That hasn't happened across America it has happened to parts of the country that are melting pot states.

As a former Democrat supporter and now an independent, the party has leaned too far to the left for me and many of their progressive platforms aren't fully ready for the American audience.

A lot of liberals I talk to believe this election is important for them because Obama took too long to implement his vision. But they failed to realize that Democrat's platform is losing support across the country and Obama's power has diminished with each election.

The democrats have been losing power every year since Obama took office and they've been in denial over that fact because the media keeps believing that as long as the White House remains Democrat they have all the keys to the country.

How can the Democrat supporters not see and realize so much flaws in the party's platform and real signs out there that paints a bleak picture for the Dems. And also the failure to hold the media accountable for their deception and not report on what has been really happening across the country instead of painting everyone who is not with them as deplorable.
I don't know any liberals that think Trump stole this election, I do know plenty who think the electoral college does a poor job of representing the voters, since Hillary did get more votes than Trump. I also know plenty of liberals who think Hillary was a poor choice and this is what the DNC gets for trying to stonewall Sanders, the one who should have been the nominee.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:25 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Russian hacking, FBI illegal meddling, voter suppression, voter ID laws, fake news.

Anyone who thinks this was a fair and legitimate election is an idiot.
LOL, and for years it was Democrats who claimed that voter ID is racist which is an insult to both African Americans and whites.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:33 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Most of us don't, we just think these results are odd in comparison to exit polls. Shrug. And Trump does keep saying it's rigged. So let's check.
Exactly! Trump wasn't the most intelligent person to run for President, he was weak as a candidate, but with help from Russia, he won.

Last edited by tillman7; 11-30-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 03:51 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:

Of course, Trump "stole" nothing. The Democrats willingly handed him the victory by their utter stupidity. But the outcome could not have been any different, because they are who they are. It was the voters who saw the clear difference and decided that we were not headed in the right direction.

The Democrats still can't figure out why they lost. This is evident by their voting for Nancy Pelosi to lead them in the House, after the thumping they have just received. This is the very definition of insanity. But this is good for us. It means it's highly unlikely they will gain any seats in the mid-terms, but will probably lose even more.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:53 PM

84 posts, read 76,944 times
Quote:

I was a democrat and now independent as well. I am all for social progression, but it has become the main focus of the party. You cannot continue to shove these ideals down people's throats and neglect the economy drug use and health care. People did not like Hillary either. She was a terrible candidate with plenty of baggage. Obama won twice because people like him and he's a good speaker with charisma. I also a lot trump voters that Just basically voted against Hillary. They said she came off as self righteous as she was owed the presidency. The Harry Reid's, Nancy pelosi's and clintons need to go away. Democrats need to refocus on the economy and jobs. That was the reason obama won twice.

I think losing this election was the best thing for the democrats. I think a trump presidency is worse for the republicans. I expect a lot of divisions in the house and senate. It is only going to get worse if trump doesn't shut up, read the constitution, bill of rights and start to act like a president. Otherwise the republican majority won't be a majority at all. Plus a majority in all govt branches never work out how those in the party hope. There always is a power struggle. Anything can happen and we could be talking of a sentate sweep in favor of the dems in 2018 no matter how bleak it looks today. Everybody said the dems were done in the 1980s with Ronald Reagan , they came back. Same with the republicans in 2016.

This country will swing back and forth. Parties rarely win a 3rd term. It has only happened twice in the last 100 years. Things will change again

Trump support is soft overall for winning the electoral college. He lost the popular vote and won the electoral college by 100,000 votes total over 3 key states. That is hardly a mandate and the republicans still lost seats in the senate and house.

I also talked to 5 republicans that said if Joe Biden ran they would've voted for him. Again this was a setback to get the dems to refocus on the economy and rid itself of the establishment and the in your face liberal feeling crap

Old 11-30-2016, 05:04 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Trump "stole" the election because HRC was their anointed "chosen" one.
Actually, Hillary defeated herself. By nominating Hillary, a morally, mentally and physically incompetent choice, the Dems served Trump the presidency on a silver platter. Now, let's see, did their higher educations pay off this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Russian hacking, FBI illegal meddling, voter suppression, voter ID laws, fake news.

Anyone who thinks this was a fair and legitimate election is an idiot.
Trump supporters love humor! Unless you mean the fact that they ran Hillary, a highly flawed candidate in the first place and yes, probably not fair for the Dems, but everyone has a choice of party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You're right, it wasn't fair that democrats were stuck voting for and supporting a crooked old hag like Hillary.
Exactly! Hillary defeated herself. All Trump had to do was just watch Hillary self-destruct which she did right before our very eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Anyone who stayed awake during high school social studies can answer this question.

The US Presidency isn't decided by the popular vote. If it was, the results would be much much different.

Face it. You supported a crooked establishment career politician with more baggage than a Samsonite factory. You lost. Time to put on the big boy pants and move on .
I don't think they teach "social studies", American history, American government or economics in high school anymore. You have probably noticed that too!

Obviously, anyone that could support Hillary and her lies and corruption would be subject to believing just about anything anyone might say. They were being pulled around by a nose ring by liberal media. Sadly, in this electronic age, too many get lazy and let someone else think for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
I don't know any liberals that think Trump stole this election, I do know plenty who think the electoral college does a poor job of representing the voters, since Hillary did get more votes than Trump. I also know plenty of liberals who think Hillary was a poor choice and this is what the DNC gets for trying to stonewall Sanders, the one who should have been the nominee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Exactly! Trump wasn't the most intelligent person to run for President, he was weak as a candidate, but with help from Russia, he won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections