Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:01 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pennsylvania:
Rendell 8 years, D
Corbett 4 years, R
Wolfe. Current, D
You can even go back further in Pennsylvania to the 60's, which seems to like to alternate their governors between the two parties:

Shafer 4 years, Republican ('67-'71)

Shapp 8 years, Democrat ('71-'79)

Thornburgh 8 years, Republican ('79-'87)

Casey 8 years, Democrat ('87-'95)

Ridge/Schweiker 8 years, Republican ('95-'03)

Rendell 8 years, Democrat ('03-'11)

Corbett 4 years, Republican ('11-'15)

Wolfe present, Democrat ('15-?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 12:10 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
From the article:
CNN’s Fareed Zakaria recently offered a two-hour special concluding that America failed its president: “It remains unclear if the country was ready for Barack Obama’s vision.”

This quote tells the tale. America didn't fail its president. It's president failed America. It isn't unclear whether the "country was ready for Barack Obama's vision". The country didn't WANT his vision. It didn't need someone who would "fundamentally transform this nation" - it needed someone who would LEAD this nation. Zakaria intimates that Obama's failures were because of the citizens of this nation rather than placing the blame where it belongs. With the president himself.

The numbers don't lie. The electoral college doesn't lie. The number of states now led by the GOP doesn't lie. What has happened from 08 when the Democrat party had all three branches of government to now doesn't lie. Progressive politicians across the country (and the ideology they espouse) has been rejected by more Americans than it has been embraced, and the D party has done nothing but lose and lose some more, ever since Obama was first swept into office 8 years ago.

They need to learn that message, accept that message, and change THEIR message, or they can keep on losing.

I didn't vote for Obama, but once he was voted in as president back in 08 I accepted the will of the people and understood that he was now the president of the United States. He was MY president and I wanted him to succeed. Because if he succeeded, we would all succeed. So he had my complete support. By the time he won re-election I was simply resigned to four more years of........crap. By the time he beat Romney I couldn't even stand to look as his face or listen to the sound of his voice. I've watched the post game each year but for the past couple of years I couldn't even bring myself to watch the State of the Union.

Too many lies. Too many deceits. Too much divisiveness. Too many insults. Too many excuses. He is a weak man driven by blind adherence to an ideology that too many Americans loathed. And he didn't care. We weren't enlightened enough, smart enough, progressive enough to understand and appreciate his perspective. We were too fearful, too hateful, to uneducated, to fill-in-the-blank phobic to understand. We didn't live in the right state or the right corners of the country.

I cannot describe in strong enough terms just how pleased I am that his term as president is almost done. President Obama - just go away. It's over between us.
I agree with much of this. He got my vote 2x but for me, my dissatisfaction began in earnest after the second election. I now find him extremely confrontational, divisive, and rather elitist. As a man I really dig Obama. He is intelligent, charismatic, and even wicked funny. As a leader, he just stinks. He started on the right note and I still have plenty of respect for him, but his legacy has been marred in my opinion by his glowering contempt for his constituents.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:33 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,240,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Obama was developing a policy in which the middle class income was increasing. Corporations like ExxonMobile can't have that. Trump will oversee the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Except that it didn't. Obama's Math Fail.

ExxonMobile had nothing to do with Obama's failures. thedirtypirate Responsibility Fail.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
The big thing few are talking about is that amending the constitution in a liberal way is now undoable because that requires 3/4ths of states to approve it. The reality is the bulk of the non White population lives in a handful a states, so the GOP will control a large number of states for many decades to come.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve930 View Post
No surprise. You know they won't blame their lord and savior.
Yep. Hey if their happy living in poverty so be it.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM

900 posts, read 376,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The big thing few are talking about is that amending the constitution in a liberal way is now undoable because that requires 3/4ths of states to approve it. The reality is the bulk of the non White population lives in a handful a states, so the GOP will control a large number of states for many decades to come.
Texas has a strong minority and is controlled by Republicans in how much Vermont has a low minority and is controlled by Democrats ...

Democrats can retake control in 2018 in many states, it will depend on how bad the first 2 years of trump ...

Old 12-13-2016, 05:35 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,601,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
yeah, what you said has literally nothing to do with the fact that median incomes have risen more in the past few years than in decades. It's alright, it's time for the rich to take advantage and stop it. The real crony capitalists are back.

The same people who took advantage of working class people and cut benefits and jobs are now leading the country.

The worst ran states in the country are ran by Republicans. Mines one of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
That last sentence can't be repeated enough. It is amazing that horribly run states vote for the same idiots over and over and expect change.
Most of those are flyover states that functionally, are nothing more than U.S. territories. Return them to that rightful status and the country would be greatly improved.The government was too eager to expand in the early to mid-1800s and vested them with statehood, which has now come back to be a big liability. If only we'd let Texas have its wish and become the Lonestar Republic.

In the face of a malicious and total republican blockade in congress, Obama did a wonderful job of pulling the country through the aftermath of the devastating 2008 recession. His actions, in the face of heavy criticism, saved our auto industry and put the corrupt savings and loan companies onto a new pathway. We'd be in a state of national collapse, without his efforts.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:50 PM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I agree with much of this. He got my vote 2x but for me, my dissatisfaction began in earnest after the second election. I now find him extremely confrontational, divisive, and rather elitist. As a man I really dig Obama. He is intelligent, charismatic, and even wicked funny. As a leader, he just stinks. He started on the right note and I still have plenty of respect for him, but his legacy has been marred in my opinion by his glowering contempt for his constituents.
He IS intelligent, charismatic and has an intrinsic sense of humor. 8 years ago he also appeared young, good looking and vital. All qualities (in addition to the potential for him to become the first African American president) that drew people to him. On a personal level he can be a very compelling individual.

And there's the rub. All those qualities are worth gold to a man vying for the presidency. As much as I could allow myself to be drawn to his intelligence, charisma and sense of humor, those qualities could only hide what kind of president he would turn out be for so long. Once I heard the lies, saw the deceits, saw the weakness, saw the partisanship and division and who he really was and how he intended to govern, there was no going back. A great sense of humor and likable personality can hide the toxic for only so long. When I see that big smile and watch the great timing when he's telling a joke now, all I see are the lies and division. When I see the destructive policies and his "glowering contempt for this constituents" (as you so correctly noted above) his winning personality means nothing. In terms of leadership, the smile hides an empty suit.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:08 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Obama will be blaming Putin for the demise of the Democratic Party. As you know, Obama never takes blame for anything.

TRUE. But strongest GOP since 1928-Obama created that.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:08 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,072,706 times
This is good stuff. Great satirical writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Most of those are flyover states that functionally, are nothing more than U.S. territories. Return them to that rightful status and the country would be greatly improved.The government was too eager to expand in the early to mid-1800s and vested them with statehood, which has now come back to be a big liability. If only we'd let Texas have its wish and become the Lonestar Republic.

In the face of a malicious and total republican blockade in congress, Obama did a wonderful job of pulling the country through the aftermath of the devastating 2008 recession. His actions, in the face of heavy criticism, saved our auto industry and put the corrupt savings and loan companies onto a new pathway. We'd be in a state of national collapse, without his efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections