Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 05:09 AM

27,224 posts, read 46,931,555 times

Advertisements

This election year caused NFL and ESPN as well as many TV series to loose viewers.

Never was an election so exciting and interesting to watch and follow.

This 2016 election for sure has set a new political era on the map.
Who thought that Frank Underwood in House of cards could be beaten by the real Democratic party and their dirty laundry.

I bet many more people than ever are following politics now more than watching a new TV series.
I guess producers have to step up to the plate to get their viewers back. Even ESPN is trying to use politics to get viewers interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 AM

24,814 posts, read 17,560,763 times
This was an election for the ages that got a lot of people excited about politics. I know that I watched more of the debates than I ever did before and it was due to Trump.

There has been rating dips in conventional TV shows but I don't think that has to do with politics I think it has more to do with the content and how people watch TV today.

When it comes to NFL football and politics I sure hope the 2 don't mix. I want to see Colin Kaperdick taking a knee during the national anthem. The last time I saw him do that his team was playing the Patriots. Kaperdick took a knee at the beginning of the game and Tom Brady took a knee at the end in Victory. It was sweet.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 AM

6,273 posts, read 5,104,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This election year caused NFL and ESPN as well as many TV series to loose viewers.

Never was an election so exciting and interesting to watch and follow.

This 2016 election for sure has set a new political era on the map.
Who thought that Frank Underwood in House of cards could be beaten by the real Democratic party and their dirty laundry.

I bet many more people than ever are following politics now more than watching a new TV series.
I guess producers have to step up to the plate to get their viewers back. Even ESPN is trying to use politics to get viewers interested.
The election was part of it, but Kaepernick was also a big part. His take-a-knee during the national anthem spawned copy cats from pro-ball all the way down to middle school ball. And a whole lot of middle America wasn't impressed. Much of the ESPN ratings decline is due to the decline in viewership of the NFL.

Having said that, an engaged population who pays attention to politics is a good thing. Actually.........so is the backlash against the NFL.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,978,956 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee
The only viewers they lost were those who are in total control by the establishment!!

Old 12-13-2016, 12:19 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,101,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The only viewers they lost were those who are in total control by the establishment!!
The fail is strong with this one.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,618,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
The election was part of it, but Kaepernick was also a big part. His take-a-knee during the national anthem spawned copy cats from pro-ball all the way down to middle school ball. And a whole lot of middle America wasn't impressed. Much of the ESPN ratings decline is due to the decline in viewership of the NFL.

Having said that, an engaged population who pays attention to politics is a good thing. Actually.........so is the backlash against the NFL.
NFL is over saturated with televised games. There are some weeks where seven different games are on national TV. You also can practically watch all games simultaneously if you subscribe to the NFL Channel's REDZONE. People get get NFL-fatigue with all of that available. There no longer is must-see NFL games unless Dallas Cowboys are playing an arch rival.

That plus all the college games available as well as MLB World Series (Chicago Cubs) probably have a lot to do with it. 99.9% of NFL players stand during the anthem. For anyone to boycott the sport because of one or two lame, poorly educated players taking a knee seems pretty weak.

The 2016 election had a clown at the forefront. An idiot who insulted his way to office. He insulted his opponents, he lied about his opponents, he threatened to lock up his opponents. It was REALITY TV at its finest.

With all of that overwith and the NFL playoff run and college games coming to bowl games, I see Americans going back to watching the sport.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:50 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,542,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

Yep. I had already boycotted the NBA and NFL over their allowing athletes to politicize the sport (from coming out onto the field with their hands raised to promote the discredited "hands up don't shoot" Michael Brown narrative to support for the BLM movement); I would add the WNBA to that list, but I'd have to had formally watched them in order to boycott them

Make no mistake about it, in a situation where we were bombarded with nonstop negative election coverage, sports would seemingly be a way out for many people. But many were tired of seeing the flag/anthem/country disrespected by spoiled millionaires and of seeing similar spoiled brats pushing a racist narrative.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:55 PM

14,488 posts, read 6,139,373 times
Kaepernick is a genius. How many people knew who he was before his little stunt? Now he is a household name an d gets nothing but love and support and probably even gifts from liberals/democrats. He conned the **** out of everyone.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:06 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,502,140 times
Hillary will be on the next Survivor Series.

That should be a hoot as she's eaten by Sharks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections