Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,758,420 times

Advertisements

Trump will be President. Let that sink in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:25 PM

30,709 posts, read 18,355,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
If no one hits 270, I believe the House picks the President, are they open to selecting anyone or does it come down to those who were running? Clinton, Stein, etc
They can't do that. They can only select from the "top three" electoral college vote winners, which in this case means they could only choose between Hillary and Trump.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 PM

22,520 posts, read 12,075,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The more I hear Bernie Sanders , the more I like him. The man is sensible, smart, articulate, and experienced. I wish the Democrats had fronted him, I think he would have done so much better than Hillary.

It is a long shot that the electoral college will overturn anything,[ but it is sure worth the try. There is growing dislike for Trump, even among some of his followers. Only the hardcore are still not seeing the light.
OMG---In your blind hatred you can't see what the consequences would be if you got your wish.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/11/1...-or-something/

From the article:

Well … no. There’s literally zero chance, of course, and if these people weren’t leftists and had followed the GOP leadership’s capitulation to Trump all year long, they’d understand that. Congressional Republicans are terrified of alienating Trump’s base as it is. An electoral-college coup ratified by the House would not only blow the party and the country sky high, it would be hugely unpopular across parties (I think). Even many Democrats, alarmed at the precedent of election victories being ripped from the hands of rightful winners, would say that Trump deserves to be president. In fact, Philip Bump of WaPo ran the numbers and found that even if you attempted to divvy up electors proportionally between Trump and Clinton based on their margins of victory in each state, Trump would still be the rightful winner. He’d end up getting electors from major blue states like California and New York which, in reality, went unanimously for Clinton. If you want an electoral college that has the moral authority to nullify national elections, if such a thing can even be imagined in an age where democracy is favored over republicanism, you needed to lay the civic groundwork for it waaaaaay before now. All this is, really, is an unusually lame left-wing coping mechanism for Trump’s win, much lamer than the argument for shifting to a national popular vote going forward. If you’re that sad, why not just cry on camera instead?

----------------------------------------
^Some food for thought.

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 12-15-2016 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 PM

772 posts, read 392,080 times
I feel sorry for the poor electors being pressured and threatened to break the oath they took to honor their state vote.

I believe they will vote as their state voters desire, despite Dems evil plan.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:59 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,290,978 times
funny how things turn out.....it was Hillary and the Democrats bashing Trump after the 3rd debate for not accepting the election results but look who is not accepting the election results NOW.....LMAO!!!

first it was the FBI,,,,,,then the recount and now the Russians......LMAO!!!!......Democrats look foolish, all because Podesta's GMAIL account got hack that even my son in junior high could have done to trick him in resetting his password......what a joke!

I get emails all the time to reset my credit cards passwords, Bank accounts and e-mail accounts and I know they are hackers trying to get into my accounts and I ignored them and sent it straight to trash.....Podesta is too dumb that he fell for it and now the Democrats want to start WW 3 with the Russians because of his dumb a$$!.....LMAO!

Old 12-16-2016, 04:16 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,627,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The more I hear Bernie Sanders , the more I like him. The man is sensible, smart, articulate, and experienced. I wish the Democrats had fronted him, I think he would have done so much better than Hillary.

It is a long shot that the electoral college will overturn anything, but it is sure worth the try. There is growing dislike for Trump, even among some of his followers. Only the hardcore are still not seeing the light.
Within the last 24 hours or so I was listening to the radio while driving, and one particular guy called in to the how I was listening to. The caller was a fellow Anyone But Hillary person. I disagree vehemently with Bernie's policy proposals, but I think he comes from a good place (meaning his heart is in the right place...ranks higher in sincerity and honesty than many other candidates, etc'). The aforementioned caller obviously agreed with me on this, and also thought the recounts were a ridiculous waste of energy, etc.

The caller's 'wouldn't it be funny if' scenario really made the hosts laugh. Take the recount in Wisconsin. Many progressives obviously hoped that a recount would result in a reduced number for Trump with an increase for Hillary, or any scenario that would result in a Hillary win. Instead, IIRC, the totals for both of them increased and Hillary only gained a few hundred votes. The caller was obviously NOT making fun of Bernie. The caller's what if scenario.....what if the Electors meet, Trump's total stays about the same (only losing the electors who have publicly stated they won't vote for him), and HILLARY'S TOTAL DECREASES SIGNIFICANTLY BECAUSE A BUNCH OF ELECTORS DEFECT FROM HER AND VOTE FOR BERNIE .

Old 12-16-2016, 04:34 AM

26,602 posts, read 15,173,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
If no one hits 270, I believe the House picks the President, are they open to selecting anyone or does it come down to those who were running? Clinton, Stein, etc
The Republican controlled congress must pick from the highest three electoral college vote getters, which hasn't voted yet. Stein will likely get zero electoral college votes. At least one democrat has already said they would vote for Bernie, other democrats are "thinking" about voting for a Romney, Kasich, etc...

As they want the Republican congress to have a viable Republican alternative should it make it to the House if Trump doesn't get the majority. However, Trump's chances of winning are above 99.9999999999999999%

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
They can't do that. They can only select from the "top three" electoral college vote winners, which in this case means they could only choose between Hillary and Trump.
It is likely that Bernie and another Republican will get at least one electoral vote.

However, I do think Trump wins the majority and if he doesn't the Republican congress will pick him anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Within the last 24 hours or so I was listening to the radio while driving, and one particular guy called in to the how I was listening to. The caller was a fellow Anyone But Hillary person. I disagree vehemently with Bernie's policy proposals, but I think he comes from a good place (meaning his heart is in the right place...ranks higher in sincerity and honesty than many other candidates, etc'). The aforementioned caller obviously agreed with me on this, and also thought the recounts were a ridiculous waste of energy, etc.

The caller's 'wouldn't it be funny if' scenario really made the hosts laugh. Take the recount in Wisconsin. Many progressives obviously hoped that a recount would result in a reduced number for Trump with an increase for Hillary, or any scenario that would result in a Hillary win. Instead, IIRC, the totals for both of them increased and Hillary only gained a few hundred votes. The caller was obviously NOT making fun of Bernie. The caller's what if scenario.....what if the Electors meet, Trump's total stays about the same (only losing the electors who have publicly stated they won't vote for him), and HILLARY'S TOTAL DECREASES SIGNIFICANTLY BECAUSE A BUNCH OF ELECTORS DEFECT FROM HER AND VOTE FOR BERNIE .
Yes. Hillary will not be president. Any Republican defectors are not likely to vote for Hillary. And some Democrats are already talking about voting for Bernie or a moderate Republican.

If no one gets a majority, the Republican controlled House will never select Hillary. Ever.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:49 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,214,202 times
The clock is ticking - time is almost up. Chicken Little: The sky is falling! Get used to it; you have four years and a good therapist should help!

Old 12-16-2016, 05:03 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,627,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes. Hillary will not be president. Any Republican defectors are not likely to vote for Hillary. And some Democrats are already talking about voting for Bernie or a moderate Republican.

If no one gets a majority, the Republican controlled House will never select Hillary. Ever.
Yeah, her only needle in a barn hope (needle in a haystack isn't minute enough ) is enough Trump electors jump ship and vote for her that the result puts her at 270 or above. No way that will happen.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:27 AM

17,376 posts, read 11,352,762 times
I rather prefer the left wingers continue to have hope that Trump won't be inaugurated. Then when he is inaugurated they can go into another tailspin seeking emotional counseling, crying in public, and contemplating jumping out of windows all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections