Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:23 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,782,650 times

Advertisements

8 years of Obama bashing the cops and pointing a guilty finger immediately without facts caused the dividing of this country and liberals were blind for that and still are.
Than we got all the executive orders to divide the nation even more and the Obamacare lie that was proven on tape!

Now Trump gets blamed for how many voters felt for years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,481,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
8 years of Obama bashing the cops and pointing a guilty finger immediately without facts caused the dividing of this country and liberals were blind for that and still are.
Than we got all the executive orders to divide the nation even more and the Obamacare lie that was proven on tape!

Now Trump gets blamed for how many voters felt for years!
Geez! Was my executive order lost in the mail? Life long racists weren`t racists until we had a black president. Got it.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:31 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,635,445 times
We've been divided for some time now. This is not new because of Trump.....

Old 12-17-2016, 05:39 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,083,302 times
If one sees the electoral map by counties, I'd say we are pretty damned united.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:42 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,585,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Just look at the popular vote margins in the last 5 presidential elections as a marker for division

Clinton - 48.3%
Trump - 46.2%

Obama - 51.1%
Romney -47.2%

Obama - 52.9%
McCain - 45.7%

Kerry - 48.3%
Bush - 50.7%

Gore - 48.4%
Bush -47.9%

Clinton - 49.2%
Dole - 40.7%
Perot - 8.4%

These are VERY close results. In fact two Democrats lost the election but won the popular vote.

It is interesting to note that Perot's popularity was an early indicator many folks were fed up with politics-as-usual.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,279,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Just look at the popular vote margins in the last 5 presidential elections as a marker for division

Clinton - 48.3%
Trump - 46.2%

Obama - 51.1%
Romney -47.2%

Obama - 52.9%
McCain - 45.7%

Kerry - 48.3%
Bush - 50.7%

Gore - 48.4%
Bush -47.9%

Clinton - 49.2%
Dole - 40.7%
Perot - 8.4%

These are VERY close results. In fact two Democrats lost the election but won the popular vote.

It is interesting to note that Perot's popularity was an early indicator many folks were fed up with politics-as-usual.
Anyone who was around for the 2000 election is well aware that the country has been divided and polarized at least since then, and probably earlier.

Those who post nonsense that the 'liberals' are making this claim now, and never have before, appear to be oblivious to history. Either they were not born then or were not paying attention, but the info is certainly out there for those who care to be well-informed. The cult claims the NY Times is 'liberal' so is that a good enough source to prove this is an epic thread fail?

"...As the presidential election went deeper into extra innings today, Americans interviewed across the country expressed sentiments as divided as the popular vote..."

Exit Poll: Ohio Reflects Divisions Across the Nation - ABC News

Divided America Produces Divided Election Results

THE 2000 ELECTION: THE VOTERS; Among a Divided Electorate, Doubt and Anger Tempered by Faith - The New York Times

Old 12-17-2016, 09:01 AM

14,786 posts, read 8,126,158 times
America is so very divided....and we have been for awhile now. I really wish it wasn't so though.
I make the observation not as a Liberal or a Conservative, but as an American.
The way it is headed I would not be at all surprised to see it eventually end up in another Revolution or
Civil War. There is just less and less common ground, and not a lot of compromise... or diplomacy any more.

(Frankly, I think the real war should probably be more of a class war than anything...the Very rich of this country seem to be doing the best that they can to erode or eliminate the middle class.) When economic systems reach the point of entire
classes being slowly eliminated, and the gulf between the haves and the have nots reaches breaking points, that is usually about the time Revolutions happen.

The Conservatives bash President Obama way too much. He may not have been perfect, but He was a good President, in my opinion ...he did get much accomplished despite all the Gridlock and hate spewed at him from the Right. Trump is looking like this whole thing is going to be a train wreck...would not surprise me if he single handily wrecked the country. Our Forefathers have left some fail safe's in place...lets hope that they work.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
We have been divided for a long time.

But Trump ran the most divisive campaign I've ever seen. He exacerbated our pre-existing condition, so to speak.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:09 AM

14,786 posts, read 8,126,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Anyone who was around for the 2000 election is well aware that the country has been divided and polarized at least since then, and probably earlier.

Those who post nonsense that the 'liberals' are making this claim now, and never have before, appear to be oblivious to history. Either they were not born then or were not paying attention, but the info is certainly out there for those who care to be well-informed. The cult claims the NY Times is 'liberal' so is that a good enough source to prove this is an epic thread fail?

"...As the presidential election went deeper into extra innings today, Americans interviewed across the country expressed sentiments as divided as the popular vote..."

Exit Poll: Ohio Reflects Divisions Across the Nation - ABC News

Divided America Produces Divided Election Results

THE 2000 ELECTION: THE VOTERS; Among a Divided Electorate, Doubt and Anger Tempered by Faith - The New York Times
Excellent post.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:24 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,648,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
America is so very divided....and we have been for awhile now. I really wish it wasn't so though.
I make the observation not as a Liberal or a Conservative, but as an American.
The way it is headed I would not be at all surprised to see it eventually end up in another Revolution or
Civil War. There is just less and less common ground, and not a lot of compromise... or diplomacy any more.

(Frankly, I think the real war should probably be more of a class war than anything...the Very rich of this country seem to be doing the best that they can to erode or eliminate the middle class.) When economic systems reach the point of entire
classes being slowly eliminated, and the gulf between the haves and the have nots reaches breaking points, that is usually about the time Revolutions happen.

The Conservatives bash President Obama way too much. He may not have been perfect, but He was a good President, in my opinion ...he did get much accomplished despite all the Gridlock and hate spewed at him from the Right. Trump is looking like this whole thing is going to be a train wreck...would not surprise me if he single handily wrecked the country. Our Forefathers have left some fail safe's in place...lets hope that they work.
Anyone who thinks that Obama was a good president wasn't paying attention. Aside from screwing up our health care, leading from behind, and supporting black thugs killed by police, what good has he done? Please tell us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections