Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM

525 posts, read 407,342 times

Advertisements

Hey you all,

I am a proud democrat and from previous posts many know that I teach pre K at my parents preschool. I am also beginning to take classes leading towards a state of Florida Certification. I was on Facebook today commenting on the local news posts about the electoral college voting in Donald Trump. I really dislike Donald Trump. He's just a person that is not fit to be in charge of this great Nation. I happened to get into a debate with a redneck white guy that was for Donald Trump. For some reason, he felt that my comment about majority of his supporters were poor working class whites was a racist statement? How is this racist when it can be supported by data? I then quoted from Bill Clinton where he stated that trump can pull in votes from angry white men. I found this to be true because all the evidence and videos I have seen lately shows just that! Not to mention the angry white male posters that were debating with me because I said that I will be turning my flag upside down for four years, I will not stand for the pledge, and Trump is not my president .

I can not fathom how any of this was racist. One male poster was so angry he researched my personal information from a database and posted it for all to see. He then screenshot my posts and putting them everywhere claiming that I am a racist liberal. What in the world is wrong with people. Note To Self: No more commenting my political beliefs even if they are factual.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:45 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,226,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Hey you all,

I am a proud democrat and from previous posts many know that I teach pre K at my parents preschool. I am also beginning to take classes leading towards a state of Florida Certification. I was on Facebook today commenting on the local news posts about the electoral college voting in Donald Trump. I really dislike Donald Trump. He's just a person that is not fit to be in charge of this great Nation. I happened to get into a debate with a redneck white guy that was for Donald Trump. For some reason, he felt that my comment about majority of his supporters were poor working class whites was a racist statement? How is this racist when it can be supported by data? I then quoted from Bill Clinton where he stated that trump can pull in votes from angry white men. I found this to be true because all the evidence and videos I have seen lately shows just that! Not to mention the angry white male posters that were debating with me because I said that I will be turning my flag upside down for four years, I will not stand for the pledge, and Trump is not my president .

I can not fathom how any of this was racist. One male poster was so angry he researched my personal information from a database and posted it for all to see. He then screenshot my posts and putting them everywhere claiming that I am a racist liberal. What in the world is wrong with people. Note To Self: No more commenting my political beliefs even if they are factual.
Really you don't see why someone would see this as racist??

Old 12-20-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Really you don't see why someone would see this as racist??
Poor or Woking class whites is a term were those that voted for Donald trump. It is not racist.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,341,069 times
It seems to me that you used the term "redneck" as a demeaning stereotype, so in that context it could be seen as a racial slur.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It seems to me that you used the term "redneck" as a demeaning stereotype, so in that context it could be seen as a racial slur.
I never used that in my post on facebook. I stated it here because the guy was a redneck. It said so in a profile picture

Old 12-20-2016, 04:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,959,313 times
Quote:
Hey you all,

You can dislike Donald Trump as much as you wish, but social media is not a good place to comment. You comments about his supporters being poor working class whites can certainly be seen as racist even if it is true. If you are going to be a teacher, you will need to keep your politics out of the school and probably off social media as well.

Also note that DT is not yet president and saying that he is not your president and that you will turn your flag upside down and not stand for the pledge is not a good thing for a teacher to do. Depending upon what school district you teach in these can certainly get you in trouble. In many schools the teachers must stand for the pledge even if the students do not and you may have to be leading your students in the pledge. The pledge has nothing to do with who the president is. Really neither does the flag. You might want to wait and see what he actually does though I am also not hopeful that he will moderate himself. He may, however, find that the things he wants to do are not so easy.

On another note, be careful:
Trump is not going away and if his cabinet picks are confirmed, our government will be very right wing.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can dislike Donald Trump as much as you wish, but social media is not a good place to comment. You comments about his supporters being poor working class whites can certainly be seen as racist even if it is true. If you are going to be a teacher, you will need to keep your politics out of the school and probably off social media as well.

Also note that DT is not yet president and saying that he is not your president and that you will turn your flag upside down and not stand for the pledge is not a good thing for a teacher to do. Depending upon what school district you teach in these can certainly get you in trouble. In many schools the teachers must stand for the pledge even if the students do not and you may have to be leading your students in the pledge. The pledge has nothing to do with who the president is. Really neither does the flag. You might want to wait and see what he actually does though I am also not hopeful that he will moderate himself. He may, however, find that the things he wants to do are not so easy.

On another note, be careful:
Trump is not going away and if his cabinet picks are confirmed, our government will be very right wing.
I agree. I will never get into another political debacle on social media ever again. I am so use to conducting myself the way I want, but I really want to teach so I must control myself on social media when discussing politics.

Although I am still upset with DT becoming president, I beginning to think more rational. I too believe that he will not finish out his term. His whole run for presidency was an ego trip. I guess we will have to see.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,841,085 times
Quote:
Hey you all,

My wife is an elementary school teacher in a public school, and a staunch liberal.

She deals with all sorts of people - I mean, the public that she serves - some of who wear their politics or ideologies on their sleeves. It is not her desire to be seen as anything but an educator.

And so she never posts anything even remotely political on social media. Not. Ever.

This has always seemed to me to be a wise course of action.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,766,452 times
Quote:
Hey you all,

If someone were to point out that african americans are disproportionately over represented in social programs, like welfare or food stamps, would you find that to have racial over tones? I would, especially as there is a negative connotation to utilizing the social safety net (which I also don't agree with but that woudl be another thread).

The problem is, it is factual, now as someone with a sociology degree (I apologize if I am misremembering what your degree is in) you know that there is much more to the reality when it comes to people using socials programs. Historical lack of opportunity, institutionalized racism, poor schools, and many many more.

Likewise, with your statement, it maybe factually correct but there is more to the story. I am bleeding Bernie supporter who did my duty and voted for HRC, but we need to look at why that demographic voted for Trump. Because you statement implies they did so based solely on race (the same way the hypothetical statement implies the reason blacks are over represented in many social programs is because they are black). Neither is true. Rural, poor white areas are facing economic crises that many of us in the suburbs just don't see. His spiel about "bring back jobs" and "make america great again" really resonate with people who lived in towns that were supported by manufacturing and who are crumbling since it has gone elsewhere. Now likely you and I think he is full of baloney, but that doesn't change the fact that many people, many white people, voted for him for reasons beside their race, so your factual comment, with its racial implication, seems racist even if its intent was not.

Edited to add:

I fully support your right to not stand for the pledge, to do as you see fit with the flag, and to not call him your president.

I would also add, that flying the flag upside down has a specific meaning, specifically a threat to life. I would advise you to protest other ways than misusing the flag code. It doesn't really signify a protest, it just sends a message of ignorance. It would be like protesting police brutality by prank calling 911.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:22 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,009,186 times
Quote:
Hey you all,

I know it's common for people to post that kind of thing on fb, but I find it very very foolish. I despise Trump and will never refer to him as "president," but you won't know that from my fb, or anything about my politics or religion. In fact, you'll find out very little about me from fb beyond some cute pics of my kid. If you are planning any kind of career, posting politics or really anything of substance on fb is a really bad idea. Teaching in particular requires a somewhat moderate public persona - there is a lot of scrutiny. You need to start valuing your privacy or there may be trouble down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections