Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,361 times

Advertisements

I thought Americans were overworked?

Longer hours, no guaranteed paid annual leave and health insurance dependent on the job. Now it's obvious why America is such a stressed society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 02:02 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,638,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The fix for these labor problem is to create more labor opportunitis so employers compete for workers. Right now they can't wait to get rid of workers after the holidays.

In my line of work as a consultant, when labor is tight I name my price and I dictate where and how long I like to work. No more than 6 months then I take a month off and take another gig. There are many jobs that go unfilled because millennials are too lazy to study the high tech stuff and the low tech stuff like how to write documentation.

When you pass laws to force employers to do anything the market doesn't dictate they will find ways to get around. Such as hiring more immigrants on work visas to take over your work.
Aw, man, buckle up that seatbelt, because I am fixing to go off on you and knock your car all the way down the hillside.

What an incredibly ignorant, arrogant, and narrowminded view of the american workplace. Typical conservative "I got myself a pretty cozy situation here, so there's no reason at all that everybody else can't do exactly the same thing."

I gotta news flash for ya here, bro - you and I appear to have a lot in common, because we both seem to have unique talents and skillsets that put us in a position that we can forge our own destinies, dictate our own terms, and live our own lives on our own terms. And that's great - I know how blessed and how fortunate I am to be in that position, and on a personal note, I am genuinely happy for you that you're in the same seat, even though I don't know you or particularly like you.

But.

What you don't seem to realize is that most Americans are not, and never will be, in that position. The vast majority of Americans never have the luxury of of working a gig for a few months, taking a few more months off, and then just picking another gig from whatever happens to be available at the moment. It's not even a fantasy for them, because it's so far outside their realm of experience, they can't even imagine it. They just pray to god that when the day comes that they get fired from that lush Walmart gig they can maybe snag a job at the Speedway station, or the KFC, and hopefully within a week or two, because if they miss more than one paycheck, they may be evicted and they and their kids will be on the street with nothing to eat.

And you come in here bustin' your buttons and puffin' out your chest with this, "well, all we need is for the country to create more jobs like mine, so people who really want to work themselves up can snag one and be just like me." And it makes me want to throw up on your shirt, because it is so damned dismissive and disrespectful of the tens of millions of people who are doing every damned thing they can possibly think of to keep a few bucks flowing in every week so they can keep the electricity on and not lose the double-wide.

And the principal apparent difference between you and I? Near as I can tell, it's that realistically speaking, I recognize that the vast majority of people in this country are already doing every damned thing they can day to day just to keep their heads above water, and praying that hopefully tomorrow will be just a little better - and you just handwave 'em away, with, "well, I did it, so they can too."

I'm under no such arrogant and naive illusions. I know full well that what I do is because I was blessed with a certain skillset and certain unique talents, and that there are very few people who are fortunate enough to be able to duplicate that. The same appears to be true of you, but you don't seem to grasp how much of that is a result of how fortunate you are. You and I are starting from a place that the average Joe and Jane doesn't have the talent or the background for, and your pompous narratives are extremely disrespectful of and insulting toward those good, hardworking people who are forever held back because they never had the innate talents and preparation for something better.

It makes me sick, the way you conservatives chortle and backslap yourselves over how many people aren't following the same path you are. Like it makes you something special, somehow. And ya know what? It really is special in a way... but instead of simply being quietly proud of it and grateful for the talents and opportunities life gave you, you turn it into a passive aggressive platform to hold yourself above other people who are every bit as good as you, but perhaps not quite so lucky

And I think that's not only unfair, but polarizing. Take that stick out of your rectum and accept that everyone who is on the same arc as you is not necessariily following the same path, and that doesn't call for a judgment.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,678,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Americans are sick and tired of not having a 40 hour work week, like we had before President Obama changed all the labor laws.

These days, American workers can not get more then 30 hours a week, because of President Obama and his friends in the democratic party.

President Trump has maid a lot of promises alot

Obamacare killed the 40 hour work week. Many businesses can no longer afford to offer it.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:53 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,852,888 times
Many people have to work more than 80 hours per week so they can afford basic necessities.
Others like the overtime.

Who are you to tell me I cannot work more than 40 hours a week?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:15 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I know a lot of people that wish they could work 40 hours, they're tired of working too many hours in fear of losing their jobs.

Lets see if Trump really cares about working people and upholds the new salary/overtime laws, but I doubt it.
That is what I see here and much of that is associated with ObamaCareNot as it is cheaper to pay the overtime than to pay for health insurance and other costs associated with hiring another individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Yeah, the Trump healthcare plan - "don't get sick. if you do, help make America great and die quickly, please."
That was ObamaCare, deciding who was worth an investment in healthcare and who wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How so, because right now republicans have no plan
Which is still a better plan than ObamaCareNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The fix for these labor problem is to create more labor opportunities so employers compete for workers. Right now they can't wait to get rid of workers after the holidays.

In my line of work as a consultant, when labor is tight I name my price and I dictate where and how long I like to work. No more than 6 months then I take a month off and take another gig. There are many jobs that go unfilled because millennials are too lazy to study the high tech stuff and the low tech stuff like how to write documentation.

When you pass laws to force employers to do anything the market doesn't dictate they will find ways to get around. Such as hiring more immigrants on work visas to take over your work.
Exactly! Many don't remember what our country, workforce and employers used to be like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Obamacare killed the 40 hour work week. Many businesses can no longer afford to offer it.
Aren't you surprised that everyone didn't all ready know that? It has been discussed for the last 8 years. I guess many "tuned in" late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Many people have to work more than 80 hours per week so they can afford basic necessities.
Others like the overtime.

Who are you to tell me I cannot work more than 40 hours a week?
Our neighbor had 3 jobs, one full-time and 2 part-time and his wife had a full-time job just to try to keep up with the bills (modest home and economy cars) and one child. They decided not to have another child even though they had planned to because of the cost of daycare. While across town, illegal aliens were having 5 or 6 kids, covered from conception to birth into adulthood and beyond living in subsidized housing.

It is not a matter of wanting to work, but needing to work because of depressed wages and the fact that they can hire an illegal alien for less and they won't complain about violations of US Labor Laws.

Sadly, anyone working this much has no time for their family, of course, some people prefer not to be at home with the family and work provides an excuse.

Here in KS, with depressed wages, the starting wage for 2 of the manufacturers in town is less than my father was making per hour in Michigan in 1970 and he had health insurance provided at company expense. This was and is for unskilled labor. He was making $8 something an hour. I believe the two companies here hire mostly illegal aliens and some part-time college help.

We need jobs worthy of making a better wage, the ones that our government sold to foreign countries to feather their own nests!

Many here must work 12 hour shifts, almost impossible for many to be on their feet that many hours and taking off work is next to impossible, missing 3 days in a year from work gets one "let go", vacation is on their schedule and when you have earned 2 weeks, one week must be taken at a time. And, still, many can't earn enough to keep the bills paid.

Many places do send people home early to keep the hours down, big box stores, the ones that we subsidize because someone getting less than 30 hours generally gets public assistance.

It is a mess. For that those don't want to give Trump a chance, seriously, it is time to be a mature adult and think for yourself rather than depending on CNN or MSNBC as they are making their followers look foolish!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:20 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,852,888 times
Let's say Trump gets rid of required healthcare insurance(Obamacare) and employers start making more full time work available.

What happens to health insurance then?

How will people be able to get health insurance?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:30 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,427,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
How exactly is Trump going to make employers pay people 40 hour work weeks?

One method would be to offer tax incentives for every 40 hour per week employee. Seems simple.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmeat View Post
It is absolutely hilarious to see these types of posts from the Trumpettes. To them, Trump is a weird combination of Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

It is like Idiocracy brought to real life. Trump is so smart he is going to fix everything in two weeks and he's got what plants crave.
I heard he's going to bring high paying, non-college required 40 hour jobs to Kansas. That does sound like a Santa Claus, doesn't it?

Old 12-30-2016, 10:07 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,305,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmeat View Post
It is absolutely hilarious to see these types of posts from the Trumpettes. To them, Trump is a weird combination of Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

It is like Idiocracy brought to real life. Trump is so smart he is going to fix everything in two weeks and he's got what plants crave.
I expect Dwayne Elizardo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho to be Trump's Secretary of Agriculture. He's a former entertainer, adds diversity to the cabinet and knows what plants crave.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:10 AM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Really? How? .

By repealing ACA which added costs via employer mandates for employees averaging 30 or more hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections