Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,621,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Trump will impeached by his own party waaaaay before then.
As a Liberal, are you REALLY looking forward to a President Pence? In terms of Conservatism, Pence is much more ideologically pure than Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:56 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,569,839 times
The only thing that disturbs me about the possibility of impeaching Trump is the idea of Pence being president. I am a believer and follower of Jesus, but as I understand it Pence wants the Bible taught in schools as science. And that's just one of many "ideas" he has that frighten me. But then most the the suits there in Washington frighten me anyway -- they are certainly not representing the people who elected them...so I guess what will be any different with Trump, other than his embarrassing ignorance of world affairs, which he seems to flaunt nightly on Twitter. . .

Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 PM

29,636 posts, read 16,648,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Define primaried...

A few no name people ran against Obama in 2012's primaries. I really wouldn't consider him to have been primaried even though he didn't win all 50 states.

If Trump is popular within the party and fulfilled many campaign promises then I think he won't be.
Obviously he means primaries by someone people actually know.

Also, When did Barack Obama lose a primary in 2012 ???

Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,187,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
As a Liberal, are you REALLY looking forward to a President Pence? In terms of Conservatism, Pence is much more ideologically pure than Trump.
Of course not, he's an idiotic religious zealot radio host, but the birther-in-chief is treacherous and dangerous moron. Definitely the lesser of two evils is Pence.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:41 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,197,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
When was the last time a first term President lost in the primaries for the upcoming 2nd term?
Franklin Pierce, 1856. Served one term and failed to get a nomination from his own party for a 2nd term. It can happen, and you know what they say about history repeating itself...

Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 AM

5,904 posts, read 3,924,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think you are wasting your time.

Trump hasn't even taken the office yet and here you are talking about 2020.
How is that any different than the Trumpsters talking about Pence winning in 2024 and 2028?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,249,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Jimmy Carter was the last incumbent to not win all the states in his bid for re-election. Ted Kennedy won 12 states that year.
Didn't Buchannan peel of New Hampshire in 1992? Can't remember with certainty but I remember he put up a huge challenge at one point in that primary. Interestingly he could be likened to Trump in some respects but was further to the right on social issues.

I think Trump will lose a lot of his luster standing on his own. In relation to Clinton he could gain from her unpopularity. And even then she beat him in total votes. I think 2020 will be an uphill climb in the general but am not sure there are any Rs willing to challenge him unless he absolutely craters.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:16 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,561,510 times
Who knows if Trump will be alive 4 years from now. He's 70 years old(oldest president ever), obese(2nd fattest president ever), doesn't exercise, eats unhealthy meals and is already on statins for high cholesterol per his doctor. Now add a new high stress POTUS job to the mix. He's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:31 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,621,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Who knows if Trump will be alive 4 years from now. He's 70 years old(oldest president ever), obese(2nd fattest president ever), doesn't exercise, eats unhealthy meals and is already on statins for high cholesterol per his doctor. Now add a new high stress POTUS job to the mix. He's a heart attack waiting to happen.
All of that may be true, but it seems like he has a zest for life. Him and Joe Biden are great examples of older men with seemingly endless energy.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM

3,193 posts, read 2,245,934 times
I think as much as a large fraction of the electorate finds Donald Trump completely ridiculous and unfit to hold the presidency, he's probably greatly favored to defeat any primary opponent in 2020 - particularly those such as Rubio and Cruz who ran in the 2016 cycle. Trump has a knack for interacting with the media and communicating with the public that is truly unmatched. The more primary opponents he gets, the more likely he'll once again split the opposition and bulldoze his way to the nomination.

I wouldn't bet on him getting impeached either, although plenty of his spoken and written statements over the next four years will greatly frustrate more mainstream Republican politicians. It would not be in the party's interest to go through the impeachment process, even if that would result in a far more conventional replacement president in Mike Pence. They will also need Democrats to be on board because neither party is going to control two-thirds of the Senate any time soon.

Whether he ends up defeated by the Democratic nominee in 2020 is impossible to say now, but I think it'll take a far more compelling and less compromised opponent than Hillary Clinton plus the American electorate assessing they are worse off than today, possibly due to wars or an economic downturn. It's likely to be a wild ride long before we get to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections