Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 2,270,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Joe "Dur Fuhrer" Arpaio won't let it drop, and if God forbid he gets elected Senator of our state in November, plans to continuously bring it up on the floor of the Senate. God I hate him (Arpaio)
I guess there is a first time for everything, but there is no precedent for a non-incumbent 86 year old (which Arpaio will be later this year) being elected to Congress. He lost re-election as Sheriff recently in the state's largest county, so that is not a positive sign for his chances of getting into the Senate. If Alabama rejected a problematic Republican who wasn't even as old as Arpaio, Arizona should do so as well if he even gets nominated.

On topic for this thread - O'Rourke is truly exceptional as a fundraiser and getting all around his massive state to meet with the voters. Flipping Texas to blue in 2018 looks extremely difficult, but by engaging so many people he may help pave the way for the state to eventually choose a Democrat in a future election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 02:10 PM

13,733 posts, read 9,079,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For your information but you know this already, He is referred to as Pres Trump whether you approve of him or not. As or the legality of Obama, can't we let this drop? It is over, he served us for 8 years and now lives as a private citizen. It really doesn't matter whether he was born in America or in China for that matter.

I was answering a question by another poster about why I refer to Senator Cruz having been born in Canada. Odd how it upsets some people.

As to my occasional referral to Donald JOHN Trump: If you will recall, Rush Limbaugh, when speaking of then-President Obama, almost invariably referred to him as "Barack HUSSEIN Obama", placing an emphasis on the middle name. Many herein on CD followed suit.

I took that as proper etiquette.

Hence, I occasionally like to emphasize Mr. Trump's middle name. Of course, it became rather funny when the reports of Mr. Trump's consorting with women not his wife came out, since, in street lingo, a 'john' is, I believe, a purveyor of women for other men. Of course, it does not really fit, since he does not obtain women for other men, but still funny.

Anyway, if you read my postings, I refer to the President as: Donald JOHN Trump (if in the mood), then President Trump, then thereafter Mr. Trump, if referring to him more than once in the same thread. I also do not shorten his title to "Pres".

I have always found it childish for a poster to refer to a person by silly names, whether it be Obama, Clinton or Trump.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,599,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't think PRESIDENT TRUMP ever made that claim. But even YOU don't know where Obama was born. None of us do. We only know his claim. But Hawaii has no record of his birth. Barack Hussein Obama's grandmother says he was born in Kenya, and was there when he was born. I think her word is better than anyone who isn't part of his family.

That's being accurate, if your interested in accuracy.

By your 'standard,' Ted Cruz is every bit as eligible to be President as Barack Hussein Obama was.

You should do some research on the meaning of "natural born citizen." The Framers knew what it meant. It came from their history. It meant born "of the soil." By their definition, neither Barack Hussein Obama or Ted Cruz were eligible, because one of their parents was a foreigner. But our courts have determined that one parent being a citizen is enough.

Now, shall we quit with your pettiness?
Hawaii was and still is part of America.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,537,473 times
Keep wasting (I mean raising) money on this guy All it does is throw money down the drain that could otherwise be used on more competitive raises. Because, like it or not, O'Rouke is NOT going to defeat Cruz.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:41 PM

24,225 posts, read 15,293,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, you're against the 2nd Amendment, you're for abortion, open borders (ya'll come on in!), letting non-citizens vote in our elections, etc., etc., ...no deportations, and all those things which are making California a sh--hole state right now, prompting many Californians to stand against Jerry (moonbeam) Brown's administration and Democrat policies?
I own 4 rifles, am against abortion, but do not want it illegal, think the USA congress has welcomed illegals for 25 years at the behest of their donors, would send illegals packing, DACAs are ok. I also think jail for large employers of illegals appropriate.

Wish Billary had never been the nominee, couldn't stand Bill even before he ran the first time.

My first vote was for Barry Goldwater and I'd do it again.

I am not lock step with the democratic party line. But, here in Texas the DNC and the DCCC have long been despised by most Ds.

If supporting a candidate means I support all things that party does, and all things their every elected says or does, I am currently more aligned with the Ds.

IMO, there are few Republicans of integrity anymore. If I had to choose between having a root canal while enduring 48 hours of hard labor or voting for another republican, I'd go for the hard labor.

Ted Cruz is an opportunist. Anybody who would allow Trump to insult his father and his family and then turn around and kiss his arse has no integrity. I do not want him representing me in DC. His senate seat is nothing but a means to an end.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,502,140 times
More people voted for Ted Cruz in the primaries than voted for all the Democratic candidates combined.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,556,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
More people voted for Ted Cruz in the primaries than voted for all the Democratic candidates combined.
That' does not mean Cruz is not an opportunist. He is.

He made it very clear when he was first elected to the Senate. The Senate is only temporary parking for his political ambitions.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,502,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That' does not mean Cruz is not an opportunist. He is.

He made it very clear when he was first elected to the Senate. The Senate is only temporary parking for his political ambitions.
I'd rather have Trey Gowdy but Cruz would be a great follow up to Trump in 2024. I'm good with that.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 PM

22,262 posts, read 19,582,753 times
I still think it is very likely Cruz wins, but this one is getting more and more interesting.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:11 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,537,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I still think it is very likely Cruz wins, but this one is getting more and more interesting.
Do you believe that because of the fundraising totals? If so, I'd point you to Wendy Davis, who raised an impressive $12 million for the second quarter of her 2014 gubernatorial campaign and went on to spend $40 million. Yet, she lost in a 20 point landslide.

If things are getting interesting because of polls, I note that most Texas statewide polls far before election day show races pretty close, largely because there is usually a significant "undecided" portion of the voter base. The problem for Democrats, however, is that those undecideds invariably break for the GOP candidate. I don't see anything to suggest they won't do so again in 2018. They are the reason why no Democrat has been elected statewide in Texas for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections