Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 07:00 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times

Advertisements

While many of us can admire Obama's ability to speak well, some of us have questioned his foreign policy credentials. Foreign policy is obviously a complex and difficult aspect of the Presidency because it is so variable and fluid, not to mention situations can change in a moments notice. So, I for one have been weary of the Jr. Senators bona fides in this area due in large part to his youth.

However the other day Obama made a clear foreign policy distinction that went unnoticed by the press for the most part but it was a very important statement concerning our closest ally in the Middle East, which is of course Israel.

Obama stated:
Quote:
“I think there is a strain within the pro-Israel community that says unless you adopt a unwavering pro-Likud approach to Israel that you’re anti-Israel and that can’t be the measure of our friendship with Israel. If we cannot have an honest dialogue about how do we achieve these goals, then we’re not going to make progress.”
In essence he pointed out the difference between being pro-Israeli and pro-Likud, something that has been long over due. (Israeli Likud Party is a bit like our neoconservatives)

The very fact that Obama sees this difference and makes this distinction is not only surprising and bold but may also serve to actually move the prospects for a brokered peace in the region forward. This may seem subtle and obscure but in US and Israeli relations it is huge.

In case any of you foreign policy types care to read his full statements on this subject. There is also a link to the Jewish Telegraph and the NY Sun that have provided full transcripts.

Antiwar.com Blog · Obama Distinguishes Between ‘pro-Israel’ and pro-Likud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,298,507 times
Sounds like a great stance to me.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Sounds like a great stance to me.
I agree, and it has made me take a second look at him. It would be refreshing to have a chance at a better balanced foreign policy, not to mention a nuanced one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections