Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Those tax cuts for the rich were to make the rich that much richer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
For all of these almost eight years he has been insisting that his tax cuts for the wealthy are neccessary to keep the economy "strong" and "create jobs". What happened? I just see the wealthiest getting wealthier, and employers CUTTING jobs and benefits. Still, he keeps insisting we must make these tax cuts permanent (i.e. before he runs out the back door here shortly) and continue to borrow billions more on this war. Oh, but he is going to see that the rest of us get a couple of hundred bucks to "spend" in his brilliant "stimulus" package. Gee, thanks George. That will be just enough to pay for the extra cost of gas when it goes up to $4.00 a gallon this summer! Another example of the great Dash and Dine administration.
Actually, it is a tax cuts for those who pay taxes; not just the wealthy. And what happened was 52 consecutive months of job growth.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:43 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those tax cuts for the rich were to make the rich that much richer.
They have been paying more in taxes (percentage-wise) now than they were in 2000.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Let's see some actual data which backs up your claim.

Where I live, milk has not gone up anywhere near that much. And I don't live in an inexpensive city.

The jobs data is available at the government web site. They never detail what jobs were lost and gained. Read the report and see the breakdown.
Our new jobs have been in the service/leisure/food/healthcare industries. Not big paying white collar..those have been leaving (read..offshored).

Here's the link:
Employment Situation Summary

Total nonfarm payroll employment edged down (-63,000) in February, with pri-
vate-sector employment declining by 101,000. Nonfarm payroll employment was
little changed in December (41,000) and January (-22,000). Over the month, job
losses occurred in manufacturing, construction, and retail trade. Health care
and food services continued to add jobs. (See table B-1.)

Manufacturing employment continued to decline in February (-52,000), bringing
losses over the past 12 months to 299,000. Most of the February decline was con-
centrated in durable goods manufacturing, as motor vehicles and parts (-13,000),
furniture and related products (-6,000), and wood products (-5,000) lost jobs.
Within nondurable goods, employment fell in printing and related support activi-
ties (-5,000).

Employment in construction decreased by 39,000 in February, and has fallen
by 331,000 since its most recent peak in September 2006. During this period,
residential specialty trades lost 209,000 jobs, while residential building lost
137,000 jobs.

In February, employment in retail trade declined by 34,000. Job losses occur-
red in department stores (-11,000), building material and garden supply stores
(-7,000), and automobile dealers (-6,000). Wholesale trade employment edged down
in February, with the durable goods component declining by 9,000.

Professional and business services employment was little changed for the second
month in a row; job gains had averaged 26,000 per month in 2007. In February, tem-
porary help services lost 28,000 jobs; employment in the industry has declined by
117,000 since the most recent peak in December 2006.

In financial activities, credit intermediation employment continued to decline
and has fallen by 116,000 since a peak in October 2006. In February, real estate
employment also continued to trend down; since June 2006, the industry has lost
34,000 jobs.

Health care employment continued to grow in February (36,000). Within health
care, over-the-month job gains occurred in hospitals (17,000) and in ambulatory
health care services (15,000), which includes offices of physicians. Over the
past 12 months, health care has added 360,000 jobs.

Food services employment continued to trend upward in February. From November
through February, food services added an average of 12,000 jobs per month, compared
with an average gain of 28,000 jobs for the 12-month period ending in October.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The jobs data is available at the government web site. They never detail what jobs were lost and gained. Read the report and see the breakdown.
Our new jobs have been in the service/leisure/food/healthcare industries. Not big paying white collar..those have been leaving (read..offshored).

Here's the link:
Employment Situation Summary

Total nonfarm payroll employment edged down (-63,000) in February, with pri-
vate-sector employment declining by 101,000. Nonfarm payroll employment was
little changed in December (41,000) and January (-22,000). Over the month, job
losses occurred in manufacturing, construction, and retail trade. Health care
and food services continued to add jobs. (See table B-1.)

Manufacturing employment continued to decline in February (-52,000), bringing
losses over the past 12 months to 299,000. Most of the February decline was con-
centrated in durable goods manufacturing, as motor vehicles and parts (-13,000),
furniture and related products (-6,000), and wood products (-5,000) lost jobs.
Within nondurable goods, employment fell in printing and related support activi-
ties (-5,000).

Employment in construction decreased by 39,000 in February, and has fallen
by 331,000 since its most recent peak in September 2006. During this period,
residential specialty trades lost 209,000 jobs, while residential building lost
137,000 jobs.

In February, employment in retail trade declined by 34,000. Job losses occur-
red in department stores (-11,000), building material and garden supply stores
(-7,000), and automobile dealers (-6,000). Wholesale trade employment edged down
in February, with the durable goods component declining by 9,000.

Professional and business services employment was little changed for the second
month in a row; job gains had averaged 26,000 per month in 2007. In February, tem-
porary help services lost 28,000 jobs; employment in the industry has declined by
117,000 since the most recent peak in December 2006.

In financial activities, credit intermediation employment continued to decline
and has fallen by 116,000 since a peak in October 2006. In February, real estate
employment also continued to trend down; since June 2006, the industry has lost
34,000 jobs.

Health care employment continued to grow in February (36,000). Within health
care, over-the-month job gains occurred in hospitals (17,000) and in ambulatory
health care services (15,000), which includes offices of physicians. Over the
past 12 months, health care has added 360,000 jobs.

Food services employment continued to trend upward in February. From November
through February, food services added an average of 12,000 jobs per month, compared
with an average gain of 28,000 jobs for the 12-month period ending in October.

Do you live in Texas???

San Antonio last year gained 24,000 jobs. That is the thrid year in a row for 3% gain in jobs.

Our economy is more OUR faults than the governments. I actually work for one of the biggest and (stupidest) banks in America. CHASE. They pass out credit cards like candy to irresponsible people. Americans got greedy and now they are running scared. Some of us who did not live above our means are fairing just fine. The only thing i can gripe about is gas. Than again he tried fixing that.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Texas is faring better then some other states. I think we escaped the run up in housing prices (although California transplants has hurt the prices somewhat) and grew more slowly than those states facing bursting bubbles today.

I agree American's got greedy..they wanted to BE the Jones's rather than keep up with them. I get more offers for 0% interest credit cards than I can shake a stick at but they all get filed in the trash bin.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:23 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
I did fine under Bush's 8 years and I'm not rich only middle class. Is he kinda dopey and silly, yea, but he is still the president. Thank god only till the end of the year.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
the economy really didnt grow, income is less than it was in 2000, all the jobs that are hiring are low skilled, low pay jobs, working hours have gone up, so tecnically people are working more for less. keep in mind poverty is going up and things cost much more today then they did 8 years ago, 8 years ago gas was a dollar a gallon, i rented a 2 bed 2 bath apartment for 450 a month, milk was 1.50, now milk is $4, gas is $3.20, and the same apt is $800, its like 40-50% inflation, and the whole argument low taxes for the rich help the economy is false, in the 50s, we had a huge economic boom yet the tax rate for the rich was 80%, even during the reagan years, the tax rate for the rich was about 50%, and during clinton it was 45-40%, and we still had an economic boom those decades, today its only 35%, and the economy sucks
Very true, but how much of this is because of Bush, vs outside economics, like NAFTA for example?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
I'm no Bush fan but the tax cuts were the best thing he did. The cuts aren't hurting the economy, run away spending, inflation, and the ever growing cost of running an overbloaded Federal gov't.

The federal income is higher now than during Clinton's terms. Meaning that more people are paying higher taxes, even though they were lowered, meaning that they have moved up in pay scale.

Not only the rich got tax cuts, where did you hear that? My taxes are lower, and I'm dirty poor. The richest people in the country pay almost all of the taxes. The top earners pay about 35% their income to the feds, add in state and local tax, and a lot of them pay over 50% of their income in taxes. Stop eating sour grapes, they work for that money. How much do you all want them to pay?

Bush has made several mistakes, but the tax cuts weren't one of them. It will be funny when your Pres. Obamatakes away the "tax cuts for the wealthy" and everyone goes, "Hey, wait a minutes, my taxes just went up."

Old 03-09-2008, 02:42 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Default milk and gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Let's see some actual data which backs up your claim.

Where I live, milk has not gone up anywhere near that much. And I don't live in an inexpensive city.
Not sure about the first comment, but the milk and gas price are right on: exactly the same price where I live, and I certainly don't live in an expensive town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections