Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,183,510 times

Advertisements

Good editorial regarding global issues like the Middle East, Israel, etc.

Global Politician - Obama: Charisma Isn't Enough

All presidents need to learn in office. In relative terms, though, both Hillary Clinton and John McCain are pretty much ready now. Obama is going to need two or three years. So the good news could be that Obama will eventually understand what needs to be done; and the bad news is what happens during that time period.

Given current trends, it’s quite possible that by the time he gains the needed comprehension, Iran will have nuclear weapons, Lebanon and Iraq will be satellites of Tehran , and Hamas will run the West Bank . In addition, perceiving Obama as naïve and appeasement-oriented—not my invention but one inevitable in the region—will embolden extremists and make relative moderates rush to cut a deal with what they’ll see as the winning side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 PM

27,218 posts, read 46,791,599 times
Cahrisma is nice and a president should have it, but we have to know what the person will do and has done in the past. Well Obama not so much. His wife is only proud for the first time in 20 years. Doesn't she know that most black women haven't gotten a chance of an education like her and many white or asian people wish they had the education she had. Do they have kids, not proud of the kids...... Hope and change can be sold by every one. To me he sells scare and danger.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Here is another good story in today's news: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/us...hp&oref=slogin

Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Yes, but it counts for something. I believe in his plans for Universal Health Care, is level headed when it comes to the economy and tell me the middle east isnt going to reevaluate or at least rethink their relationship with us with a guy whose middle name is Hussein at the helm of the United States?

Just as Hillary's "experience" in the White House hosting dinner parties doesnt really measure up to standard, you are willing to give her a shot.

Likewise I think I'll afford Obama the same courtesy. Thanks Anyway.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,271,932 times
Monica has as much whitehouse experience has Hillary

Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
Good articles, UB.

It's too bad you can't copy and paste them here, though, so you could add some sexual innuendo and expletives. That's the only way a lot of the Obamaphiles would read them.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
tell me the middle east isnt going to reevaluate or at least rethink their relationship with us with a guy whose middle name is Hussein at the helm of the United States?
Did you bother to read the editorial? It was all about the Middle East and the conflicts there and what Obama has said and what his advisors have said...

Obama comes across as naive and wanting to "talk" to everyone. He's also said a lot of things that have given people "pause."

I'm sure they'd be dancing in the streets if he won. And the next day, they'd start claiming whatever land they wanted from their neighbors. And Obama would go over there to "talk" to them. And they would be very receptive, shaking their heads saying "Give me a few years to think about this...."

Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
It's too bad you can't copy and paste them here, though, so you could add some sexual innuendo and expletives. That's the only way a lot of the Obamaphiles would read them.
They don't read much, do they?

I thought the two articles were interesting when you compared them.

Obama didn't particularly like the Senate because it moved sooooo sloooooow and it appears he isn't really all that big on compromising.

On the flip side, international things happen quickly -- but we have a big huge mess in the Middle East. While events may happen quickly, leaders usually think about things soooooooo slooooooooow and they don't make commitments. (Then the insurgents or the terrorists or whatever you want to call them take over while the other guy is thinking...) How would Obama reconcile those two things?

I'm really afraid, if he were elected, things would rapidly spiral out of control.

I know McCain has the most experience, but Hillary has a very experienced "advisor" in Bill and I would trust that she would have good input in a crisis.

But who would Obama go to? Michelle?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 PM

8,055 posts, read 10,651,352 times
I believe "talking" to other nations is called - Diplomacy. Definiation of Diplomacy: The art and practice of conducting negotiations between nations.

It worked wonders when Regan used it to end the cold war.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:47 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
They don't read much, do they?

I thought the two articles were interesting when you compared them.

Obama didn't particularly like the Senate because it moved sooooo sloooooow and it appears he isn't really all that big on compromising.

On the flip side, international things happen quickly -- but we have a big huge mess in the Middle East. While events may happen quickly, leaders usually think about things soooooooo slooooooooow and they don't make commitments. (Then the insurgents or the terrorists or whatever you want to call them take over while the other guy is thinking...) How would Obama reconcile those two things?

I'm really afraid, if he were elected, things would rapidly spiral out of control.

I know McCain has the most experience, but Hillary has a very experienced "advisor" in Bill and I would trust that she would have good input in a crisis.

But who would Obama go to? Michelle?
I'm afraid he'd go to Teddy No-Pants. One of the parts that interested me most in the second article was how Teddy N-P and Daschle were egging him on. My God, they admitted he was green but said that was good because he "didn't have baggage." Translation: We will be the puppetmasters.

That church of his and the Nation of Islam ties would be VERY problematic with Middle Eastern relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections