Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM

270 posts, read 527,365 times

Advertisements

listen, I have tons of friends in the military and that is not what they say. Not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,024 times
However, something is throwing me off about the way his supporters spit venom against Clinton and so many of them are just blinded by the hype. I have a very negative gut feeling about him, because of how he is being worshipped and idolized. It makes me very uncomfortable, uneasy and nervous.

Actually the title of your thread is misleading. Majority of democrats adore Obama, not vice-versa.[/quote]

I don't think he is worshiped nor idolized. I know I don't feel that way but I think that the pro-Obama people are just reacting out of so much anger at the previous administration and at Hillary's antics who cannot be trusted. I think it is their way of saying Enough! Bring in the new! Shouting it out of sheer frustration.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
You're completely making things up.

99%? Hardly. I'm in the military and a veteran of the Iraq campaign myself, and you're completely out to lunch on that figure.

Also, "winning the war" is literally impossible, as we invaded without justification, and an unjustified invasion and occupation that results in draining our nation of blood and treasure is very much a loss.
Of course you're right. There are starting to show documentaries about our troops in Iraq, showing their anger at being there, not having enough "rations" for lack of a better term, and feeling that our government is letting them down by not supplying the everyday necessary materials needed and knowing this war cannot be won.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
well, lots of active military like what Ron Paul says enough to vote for him....and how does the active military feel about Obama, another critic of the war? www. freerepublic.com

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, the congressman from the Houston area who opposes the Iraq war, has gotten more contributions than any other White House contender from donors identified as affiliated with the military.

According to a Houston Chronicle analysis of campaign records from January through September, Paul received $63,440 in donations from current military employees and several retired military personnel.

Democrat Barack Obama, another war critic, was second in military giving. The Illinois senator got $53,968 during the nine months.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,559,665 times
I don't dislike him - I don't know him. I probably never will. I am not convinced by his cult of personality - and that type of voting scares me - as it is why we ended up with GW instead of Gore 8 years ago...

And as to the "only uneducated Dems don't like Obama" bit -- I am nearly done with my MBA and am a scientist, I supposed compared to PhD's I am a little undereducated, but calling me uneducated would be a stretch.

And I've voted Dem for the last 4 elections (since I've been legal) - but your right, maybe I'm just not a committed enough Dem.

A strong 60% of the Dem party does seem to be gaga for obama - but please stop insulting the 40% who aren't. You are just compounding the mistakes of the Republican party who with 51% of the vote declared a "SWEEPING MANDATE".

There is no sweeping mandate in the Democratic party. There is currently a slight majority.

But no - i don't dislike him. But I'm not convinced I can vote for him either.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:06 PM

580 posts, read 1,682,128 times
I'm a undecided voter.
When I really think harder, it seems like Hillary Clinton may be able to run this country more better. Yes it seems to me she has more experience, and yes experience isnt all that she have an advantage in. I'm not sure if Barack Obama is capable of running this country and making other changes towards the economy well. There is a lot I can say, but with my knowledge at the moment I'm not that sure who will be better. Although I may be leaning towards Hillary Clinton at the moment more.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:59 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,450,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I'm a undecided voter.
When I really think harder, it seems like Hillary Clinton may be able to run this country more better. Yes it seems to me she has more experience, and yes experience isnt all that she have an advantage in. I'm not sure if Barack Obama is capable of running this country and making other changes towards the economy well. There is a lot I can say, but with my knowledge at the moment I'm not that sure who will be better. Although I may be leaning towards Hillary Clinton at the moment more.

Perhaps you haven't noticed. But an excellent indicator of the contrast in judgement and management ability would be to contrast the Clinton and Obama campaigns.

Hillary had a huge lead in all the polls and more money in her campaign chest than anyone else. Now, she's on the verge of elimination.

Obama started as a long shot, with nothing but small contributors, and now he's the frontrunner.

He didn't get there by messing things up.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Perhaps you haven't noticed. But an excellent indicator of the contrast in judgement and management ability would be to contrast the Clinton and Obama campaigns.

Hillary had a huge lead in all the polls and more money in her campaign chest than anyone else. Now, she's on the verge of elimination.

Obama started as a long shot, with nothing but small contributors, and now he's the frontrunner.

He didn't get there by messing things up.
No, he got there by creating a movement and stylizing himself as a guru. So, perhaps we can create a new position just for him -- duly elected American Spiritual Savior. Elected ASS, for short.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:28 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,463,619 times
Because he is the only Progressive left in the race. The other is just a capitulating DLCer. (How can you be pro-worker when you have been in the pro-management side; she was on the Wal-Mart board of directors out of all companies in the world!)

Old 03-13-2008, 05:30 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,360 times
I like Obama, I feel he talks to you...not down to you. I have never liked Hillary, even when she was the first lady, to me it would be having another Janet Reno. She has always come across as phony. McCain is too much like what we have now, and I for one have had my fill of this one.
I'm not a Democrat, I was a Republican until the Bush Administration and did not want to vote the party line, so I changed to Independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections