Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 02:29 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Trump has taken a stance on every issue since he has been a candidate....even before. Try again!
Yes, and many times he's even taken several different stances on issues. Sometimes within a single speech...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
[/b]

Really? I think she could handle it a lot more effectively than does the current job-holder.

Concern about the state of our country - and the state of the world - could override those other concerns, which otherwise are quite valid. Patriotism...

I have no idea Oprah would even be interested in running, but I bet she could give Trump quite a run if she did.
You're probably right but I wasn't talking about Trump. I wasn't even referencing him in my comment. If the thread was titled, "Does Trump have what it takes to be President?", my answer would refer to him. That's what's wrong with posting our opinions here. No one likes to stay on topic. smh

And I still think she couldn't handle the stress. She has some minor health issues and holding that position would surely exacerbate them.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
This post proves you're the one who sees people in terms of black and white. You have no clue to how Oprah thinks. You've never watched her for more than five minutes, never read her books, never read her magazine articles. And I seriously doubt you've listened to the entire 9 minute speech the she made at the Golden Gobles because if you had you would have understood the content.
She's the man hating, hypnotist, Svengali of suburban soccer mom's nationwide!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
I saw some footage on the news of Oprah doing a speech yesterday in front of hollywood people at some award ceremony, and you could tell she was having regrets already.
Its very difficult to deliver speeches in an inspirational way, and you could see Oprah was almost cringing at herself while she was speaking, because she sounded really silly.
She's the opposite of Trump, because Trump is genuine, and it comes across in his speeches and therefore its very easy for him to inspire people, and his rallies will always have more impact than anyone else's rallies.
Must have been in a parallel universe, then.

I find Oprah far more convincing and sincere than Trump, in addition to being much more intelligent and better informed. I saw no regrets or cringing in Oprah's manner, nor did she sound silly at all. She was articulate, dramatic, yes, and forceful at times. She spoke very well, and with a good deal of conviction and sincerity.

Trump, on the other hand - well, there's just no comparison. He badgers and appeals to the negative, name-calls very childishly, contradicts himself, has a very limited vocabulary, and equally limited knowledge of history and current events. He does not come across to most listeners as "genuine" or inspiring at all.

If you've only seen brief footage of Oprah's ground-breaking speech at the Golden Globes awards, please research it and the occasion more fully. You can easily find the whole speech online. Just might change your opinion about it, if you take the time to learn more.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:48 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times
Quote:

I find Oprah far more convincing and sincere than Trump, in addition to being much more intelligent and better informed.
Again...where is this coming from? 15 years to graduate with a speech and drama degree from an HBCU says she isn't very intelligent at all, in most clear-minded individuals' minds.

For the love of God..

Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Again...where is this coming from? 15 years to graduate with a speech and drama degree from an HBCU says she isn't very intelligent at all, in most clear-minded individuals' minds.

For the love of God..
Take a look at what else she was doing during those fifteen years. Oprah started out in Nashville as a newswoman when she was quite young, and so learned to speak effectively early on. She has successfully conducted a very popular program for decades and has starred in dramatic roles. She is an articulate speaker, and no matter what you think of her socio-political views, it is unrealistic to deny this.

Educational background hardly tells the entire story. It certainly doesn't in the case of Donald Trump.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:05 PM

1,018 posts, read 511,194 times
Nah, racists aren't allowed.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:10 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times
Quote:
Take a look at what else she was doing during those fifteen years. Oprah started out in Nashville as a newswoman when she was quite young, and so learned to speak effectively early on. She has successfully conducted a very popular program for decades and has starred in dramatic roles. She is an articulate speaker, and no matter what you think of her socio-political views, it is unrealistic to deny this.

Educational background hardly tells the entire story. It certainly doesn't in the case of Donald Trump.
Please....just stop. There are thousands of more qualified ladies in America today. It's grotesquely preposterous and incredibly insulting to our intelligence to be shoving O down our throats. Just when I think this country can't go further down the toilet...

Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM

10,742 posts, read 4,340,156 times
Trump has raised the bar so high that now when we hear people do speeches they sound really silly, because Trump's speeches are so powerful.
Oprah's speech sounded so light and flimsy.
Trump's speeches have massive weight and impact.
Also Trump is a pragmatist while Oprah is another Obama with all the flowery poetically uplifting words.....very fake way to speak.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Please....just stop. There are thousands of more qualified ladies in America today. It's grotesquely preposterous and incredibly insulting to our intelligence to be shoving O down our throats. Just when I think this country can't go further down the toilet...
I don't think you are allowed to tell me to "just stop". At least, not on City-Data - or in most other fora, for that matter. There's a little thing called the First Amendment, y'know.

But I am glad you recognize that thousands of American women are qualified for the presidency.

For what it's worth, I have never stated here or elsewhere that I would support an Oprah run for the White House. I have said that I thought she would be a viable candidate, and is a much more effective speaker than is Donald Trump. I think she would be an interesting alternative, but would need to learn a lot more about her positions and plans before considering supporting her. But I certainly would support her right to run.

That's about it, so I don't really understand why you are taking such exception to my posts that you think I need to "just stop".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections