Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,372,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I did check it out -- I don't see anything so terrible there. Let's face it, all religions have fallen short of perfection. Judeo-Christian ideology teaches that man is imperfect and falls short of the mark. Religions are of the people and for the people; by necessity they are not perfect.

If Catholicism of the first millennium were perfect, there would have been no reformation, no Protestant movement.

I don't think that is anti-Catholic.

As for Hitler going to Catholic Church as a youth, if it is true, it is true... he was not a practicing Catholic when he did the horrendous acts later in life.

I just think it's a weak hand to blame McCain for the statements made by a supporter of his.

As for Obama, it's equally a weak hand. There are many reasons why someone chooses to go to a particular Church. I go to the church that my wife likes (United Methodist). I don't agree with much of what they believe but we go as a couple.
Agreed. There are plenty of wackos who will support a candidate, it doesn't mean the candidate supports the wackos. Big fuss over nothing...but, let's not be hypocritical by pointing fingers at one but not the other....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,318,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
oh it is only hatred when the criticisim
is of "black america"
how does that fly??
not very well, I will tell you
not all
racist
have white faces!!
Criticism of "black America" is perfectly fine and well, in fact black people do it all the time. It's the criticism of "black America" through the lens of negative stereotypes that we have a problem with.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,221,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"Barack knows what it means to be a black man living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary can never know that. Hillary ain't never been called the 'N' word," the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. said.
Sheesh! I can't get beyond this! No, Hillary has never been called the 'N' word -- Hillary has been called the "C" word and, no, Barack has never been called that!!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Criticism of "white America" is not preaching hatred. You lack a socio-historical perspective.
Isn't this a racist statement? If the statement was "Criticism of 'black America' is not preaching hatred" a lot of people here would be jumping down your throat for being a racist.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
This man has absolutely nothing to do with Barack Obama's campaign--or his personal or political views, for that matter--any more than Hillary Clinton's pastor has with hers.

More shameful race-baiting from people who pose as objective observers.
I don't believe Hillary is as close to her pastor as Barack is to his. I heard on the news that Barack's pastor was his mentor and also the godfather of at least one of his children. The title of Barack's book "The Audacity of Hope" came from one of Wright's speeches. It appears that they are very close. I don't remember ever hearing anything about Hillary's pastor except for the time she and Bill went to church during the impeachment hearings -- and they picked a church in Washington DC, not one in Arkansas where they lived for so many years.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
No sell. You know it's bait, and you willingly took a bite.

Not only do I think it's horse shyt that you were going to vote for Obama, but if you were so poised to do so, you would already know that NOTHING has ever come from him that would indicate in any way that his beliefs were even remotely close to that pastor.
You know what? I believe, on this point you are wrong.

I hear that Obama said that Wright was like a "crazy uncle."

Well, there is that old saying: You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family.

Wright is NOT part of his family and by choosing him as a friend, he's aligned himself with the "crazy uncle." Otherwise, Obama could just choose different friends.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,065,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You know what? I believe, on this point you are wrong.

I hear that Obama said that Wright was like a "crazy uncle."

Well, there is that old saying: You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family.

Wright is NOT part of his family and by choosing him as a friend, he's aligned himself with the "crazy uncle." Otherwise, Obama could just choose different friends.
Indeed. Or a different church. I mean, c'mon. Which one of us would join and remain with a church that preached rubbish like that unless we agreed with it?

And it was a CHRISTMAS SERMON -- not some middle of the week, poorly attended service! Clergy I know take great care with their Christmas sermons, knowing that it's the most-attended service of the year and attracts people who might not otherwise come to church!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,856,270 times
I didn't see anything inaccurate about what he said. He is expressing the outrage that many blacks feel when the Hillary camp tries to say she is the candidate of the "downtrodden and oppressed" while he comes from privledge. Nothing could be further from the truth and he is 100% on point about that.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:54 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,034,461 times
Get over it. This type of speech is not racist. It's empowering. Whites have disenfranchised blacks for SO many years, and this preacher is simply making light of that fact. That fact alone is enough to push blacks to vote for Obama.

Most of you have absolutely no clue of the struggle blacks have gone through to gain equal rights in this country. Being excluded from eating in restaurants, from obtaining housing, from voting, and being treated like an animal is not something you forget quickly.

I feel sorry for all of you who feel that blacks should just "get over it." Sorry, if you haven't gone through the struggle, you don't get to decide when people should get over anything.

It should not be a surprise that blacks are behind Obama. Churches have historically served as a medium for issues concerning the black community. The presidency certainly concerns the black community. Therefore there should be no suprise that this is being talked about in church.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,967,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Get over it. This type of speech is not racist. It's empowering. Whites have disenfranchised blacks for SO many years, and this preacher is simply making light of that fact. That fact alone is enough to push blacks to vote for Obama.

Most of you have absolutely no clue of the struggle blacks have gone through to gain equal rights in this country. Being excluded from eating in restaurants, from obtaining housing, from voting, and being treated like an animal is not something you forget quickly.

I feel sorry for all of you who feel that blacks should just "get over it." Sorry, if you haven't gone through the struggle, you don't get to decide when people should get over anything.

It should not be a surprise that blacks are behind Obama. Churches have historically served as a medium for issues concerning the black community. The presidency certainly concerns the black community. Therefore there should be no suprise that this is being talked about in church.
you are saying that a black candidate would be affected by his church? he may even win over some black voters, but he is certainly going to lose other voters now that their eyes are opened. he chose to go to that church for 20 years, inculcate his children with those anti-american values, not speak out against it, and have the pastor be an unofficial advisor to his campaign. i do not know who i will vote for yet (since i don't particularly like any of the candidates running) but it definitely will not be obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections