Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,637,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you are saying that a black candidate would be affected by his church? he may even win over some black voters, but he is certainly going to lose other voters now that their eyes are opened. he chose to go to that church for 20 years, inculcate his children with those anti-american values, not speak out against it, and have the pastor be an unofficial advisor to his campaign. i do not know who i will vote for yet (since i don't particularly like any of the candidates running) but it definitely will not be obama.
Interesting topic, this question of judgment, church & state and the populace as they cast the first stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 AM

What an interesting topic.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. Bob Packwood

The wise man draws more advantage from his enemies than the
fool from his friends.
~Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-14-2008, 06:43 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,623,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Isn't this a racist statement? If the statement was "Criticism of 'black America' is not preaching hatred" a lot of people here would be jumping down your throat for being a racist.
I agree here. If this man were a white pastor and saying these hateful things against blacks they would have been all over this. The race baiting started with this lowlife man who has no respect for people as humans and only sees black vs white in his eyes. Talk about racist, this is the perfect example of what a racist really is. It is sad that people are rushing to defend this evil person and making excuses for him.
It was us who said we would go to my pastor for guidance, its was Barrack Obama who said it. Wonder if he is going to denounce him now that we are finding out that he has allot of friends in low places like this pathetic man who shouldnt even be allowed to walk into a church of any kind.
He is not a man, he is a little boy who is a trouble maker.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 AM

2,284 posts, read 5,556,521 times
How long until we start accusing white people with being "aligned with" child-molesting Catholic Priests?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,666,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
How long until we start accusing white people with being "aligned with" child-molesting Catholic Priests?
White people or White presidential candidates?
White presidential candidates who attended a church where, unbeknownst to them, a pedophile was the pastor?
Or a white presidential candidate who knowingly embraced the pedophile priest, making him god father to his children, mentor for his life and advisor to his campaign?

Apples and oranges people. Anyway you slice it, one cannot be intimately linked with a hate monger and a race baiter (odd I would have been called that, but somehow the things Rev Wright says are merely a justified response to Jim Crow laws over fifty years ago) without believing what Rev Wright is selling.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:48 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,644,241 times
Quote:

I was just thinking along the same lines.

Does it mean that everyone who attended a Cathoic church that had a priest accused of chid molestation mean that they are all child molesters?

I'm sure some people left but I am sure that some stayed as well? Why did they stay? maybe despite the bonehead move by the priest they enjoyed worshipping with their felllow peers, it was close to home, etc.

Linking the action of a religious leader with the actions of a follower is an empty argument.

I think people are up in arms because of the tone of his speech. It has that kind of Angry Black Man tone that scares people so much that some are even threatening to vote for McCain which I'm surein some peopes eyes is the less threatening choice.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I was just thinking along the same lines.

Does it mean that everyone who attended a Cathoic church that had a priest accused of chid molestation mean that they are all child molesters?

I'm sure some people left but I am sure that some stayed as well? Why did they stay? maybe despite the bonehead move by the priest they enjoyed worshipping with their felllow peers, it was close to home, etc.

Linking the action of a religious leader with the actions of a follower is an empty argument.

I think people are up in arms because of the tone of his speech. It has that kind of Angry Black Man tone that scares people so much that some are even threatening to vote for McCain which I'm surein some peopes eyes is the less threatening choice.
Are you Catholic? I assure you, that when a priest had been 'outed' as a pedophile he was long gone. Parishaners would not stand for it. I know of two instances where a father punched a priest in the sacristy as a way of saying that he was no longer welcome. Believe me, Catholics may have been kept in the dark for many years, but around the 1980s word began to spread between different parishes and that parishoners kicked out priests when archbishops refused to.

Also, its not the tone that the Rev. used, it was the words that he said. If he whispered them lovingly, they would still be just as ugly.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:04 AM

2,284 posts, read 5,556,521 times
The way to de-fang these bloodthirsty critics is to open the doors of the church. As long as the media gets to portray the church as some amorphous mob of Black militants, Obama will continue to get dogged by these specious questions.

You open the doors of the church. And you do the very thing that best undercuts those fears of the unknown: You give it a face. You give it a name. You give it a culture; life and context. You take away the mystery. Why? Because ignorance feeds off of that mystery.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
The way to de-fang these bloodthirsty critics is to open the doors of the church. As long as the media gets to portray the church as some amorphous mob of Black militants, Obama will continue to get dogged by these specious questions.

You open the doors of the church. And you do the very thing that best undercuts those fears of the unknown: You give it a face. You give it a name. You give it a culture; life and context. You take away the mystery. Why? Because ignorance feeds off of that mystery.

Excellent suggestion! I wish that they would do just that. I wish that either Rev Wright or the current pastor would explain the sermons that have been shown (albeit not in their entirety). I would love to know what were the basis for these, and perhaps see some other videos of past sermons that preached the unity and change that I find so attractive in Sen Obamas campaign.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Hopefully when the Pastor returns from vacation he'll be willing to open the doors and have a discussion with reporters. I don't believe it's the candidates responsibility to provide an explanation for his actions or words. He's more than capable of this, himself.

There's nothing wrong with apologizing within the context of, someone speaking on your behalf and offending an audience. That's the right thing to do. But the offender should be able to defend himself and speak his peace.

If a candidate distances themselves from one who doesn't share their views he's no more guilty than the rest of us. Who among us has not had a group of friends and acquaintances with whom we no longer associate for some reason or another. It is with judicial use of prejudice that we choose our friends. And we replace them as often as not.

We need to hear the issues, enough with the sideshows, the issues are the main event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections