Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:37 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
well it seems odd that he would attend a church for 20 years where a pastor would often make such contraversial statements from the pulpit if he had strong disagreement with him.the first time i was at a church where the pastor ranted from the pulpit that "instead of singing God Bless America we should be singing God Damn America!"i would be heading for the door,never to return.the crowd at the church cheered.....while i may not be thrilled by everything ever done in or by this country it sure doesnt sound like a crowd i would wish to associate with.
Exactly. I seem to recall reading that Obama specifically chose this church because of Wright and his work. Protestant churches call their own pastors -- it's not like they're appointed and the congregations simply have to accept what they get. So, this is a congregation that must support the rhetoric Wright continues to spew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
Well, Obama is not his pastor. No matter what outrageous things his pastor may say, there's no reason for me to think his rants and how Obama feels are one and the same.
He WAS his pastor for approx 20years. Perhaps this might explain Mrs. Obama's comments regarding being proud of America "for the first time in her life". If they have been listening to this racists' sermons and his mentoring of the family for such a long time, that might explain it.

I do believe he is with the Obama campaign in some capacity. I thought I heard he was on some committee about racial issues.

Regardless. imho, this WILL hurt him. I don't know about any of you, but if my pastor was sermonizing such racist garbage, I would be inclined to NOT patronize the church. Yet.....Obama has continued on.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 PM

893 posts, read 793,333 times
I would go running out of a church that took the Lords name in vain and said the things he did. I certainly wouldn't want people to think I had anything to do with him or his church.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,213,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Georgia Dem - This is a legitimate question, so please don't go off on a tirade against me for asking:

Why do all your posts have this peculiar format, where each sentence is fragmented like this?

I don't mind you asking a question.
Each of us here are unique , we each have our own way of communicating.
For me I just sort of abbreviate my thoughts and not get long winded.
I just say what I think.
Some of you are very poetic and that is great, but I am me.
Hope it does not drive you too crazy.
I read a lot of different blogs, not just political ones.
I do some advocate
work and service work so my time is often limited.
I hope that explains about me.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
McC has accepted Pastor Hagee's endoresement....talk about a freak. John Hagee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a guy who spouts bible prophesies...

In his book Jerusalem Countdown: A Warning to the World, Hagee interprets the Bible to predict Russia and the Islamic states will invade Israel and will be destroyed by God. This will cause the anti-Christ, the head of the European Union, to create a confrontation over Israel between China and the West. A final battle between East and West at Armageddon will then precipitate the Second Coming of Christ.[10] In a discussion concerning Muhammad, Hagee asserts that Muhammad was a man of war and that this influence on Islam is the cause of the troubles of Jerusalem[citation needed].and is anti-Catholic:

Hagee's screed against the Roman Catholic Church in his book Jerusalem Countdown contained the following anti-Catholic speech:

Adolf Hitler attended a Catholic school as a child and heard all the fiery anti-Semitic rantings from Chrysostom to Martin Luther. When Hitler became a global demonic monster, the Catholic Church and Pope Pius XII never, ever slightly criticized him. Pope Pius XII, called by historians 'Hitler's Pope,' joined Hitler in the infamous Concordat of Collaboration, which turned the youth of the [sic] Germany over to Nazism, and the churches became the stage background for the bloodthirsty cry, 'Pereat Judea'[18].... In all of his [Hitler's] years of absolute brutality, he was never denounced or even scolded by Pope Pius XII or any Catholic leader in the world. To those Christians who believe that Jewish hearts will be warmed by the sight of the cross, please be informed—to them it's an electric chair. (pp. 79-81)

The Roman Catholic Church, which was supposed to carry the light of the gospel, plunged the world into the Dark Ages.... The Crusaders were a motley mob of thieves, rapists, robbers, and murderers whose sins had been forgiven by the pope in advance of the Crusade.... The brutal truth is that the Crusades were military campaigns of the Roman Catholic Church to gain control of Jerusalem from the Muslims and to punish the Jews as the alleged Christ killers on the road to and from Jerusalem. (p. 73)

With friends like this.....

Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,213,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
McC has accepted Pastor Hagee's endoresement....talk about a freak. John Hagee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a guy who spouts bible prophesies...

In his book Jerusalem Countdown: A Warning to the World, Hagee interprets the Bible to predict Russia and the Islamic states will invade Israel and will be destroyed by God. This will cause the anti-Christ, the head of the European Union, to create a confrontation over Israel between China and the West. A final battle between East and West at Armageddon will then precipitate the Second Coming of Christ.[10] In a discussion concerning Muhammad, Hagee asserts that Muhammad was a man of war and that this influence on Islam is the cause of the troubles of Jerusalem[citation needed].and is anti-Catholic:

Hagee's screed against the Roman Catholic Church in his book Jerusalem Countdown contained the following anti-Catholic speech:

Adolf Hitler attended a Catholic school as a child and heard all the fiery anti-Semitic rantings from Chrysostom to Martin Luther. When Hitler became a global demonic monster, the Catholic Church and Pope Pius XII never, ever slightly criticized him. Pope Pius XII, called by historians 'Hitler's Pope,' joined Hitler in the infamous Concordat of Collaboration, which turned the youth of the [sic] Germany over to Nazism, and the churches became the stage background for the bloodthirsty cry, 'Pereat Judea'[18].... In all of his [Hitler's] years of absolute brutality, he was never denounced or even scolded by Pope Pius XII or any Catholic leader in the world. To those Christians who believe that Jewish hearts will be warmed by the sight of the cross, please be informed—to them it's an electric chair. (pp. 79-81)

The Roman Catholic Church, which was supposed to carry the light of the gospel, plunged the world into the Dark Ages.... The Crusaders were a motley mob of thieves, rapists, robbers, and murderers whose sins had been forgiven by the pope in advance of the Crusade.... The brutal truth is that the Crusades were military campaigns of the Roman Catholic Church to gain control of Jerusalem from the Muslims and to punish the Jews as the alleged Christ killers on the road to and from Jerusalem. (p. 73)
With friends like this.....
you are right
Hagee is a nut
but John McCain does not attend his church
I doubt he even knows the crap Hagee preaches
but Obama knows how his pastor feels
it is his church
for the last 20 years

Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
you are right
Hagee is a nut
but John McCain does not attend his church
I doubt he even knows the crap Hagee preaches
but Obama knows how his pastor feels
it is his church
for the last 20 years
not true.
in fact it will make you blue
to see maccain is on hagee's crew
now that he's accepted the good pastor's due....
Hagee endorsement of McCain has risks - John McCain News - MSNBC.com
(wholeheartedly)

The televangelist, San Antonio megachurch leader John Hagee, has referred to the Roman Catholic Church as "the great *****" and called it a "false cult system" and "the apostate church"; the word "apostate" means someone who has forsaken his religion.

He also has linked Adolf Hitler to the Catholic church, suggesting it helped shape his anti-Semitism.

Catholic groups are pressuring McCain to reject the endorsement, which he announced at a news conference with Hagee last week. The Democratic National Committee also is publicizing Hagee's views.

"Indeed, for the past few decades, he has waged an unrelenting war against the Catholic Church," said Catholic League President Bill Donohue.

"Senator Obama has repudiated the endorsement of Louis Farrakhan, another bigot," Donohue said. "McCain should follow suit and retract his embrace of Hagee."

He was referring to Barack Obama, who said he would "reject and denounce" any help from Farrakhan when pressed in last week's Democratic presidential debate.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:01 PM

144 posts, read 336,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I don't mind you asking a question.
Each of us here are unique , we each have our own way of communicating.
For me I just sort of abbreviate my thoughts and not get long winded.
I just say what I think.
Some of you are very poetic and that is great, but I am me.
Hope it does not drive you too crazy.
I read a lot of different blogs, not just political ones.
I do some advocate
work and service work so my time is often limited.
I hope that explains about me.

I actually dig you Georgia Dem

Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,439,525 times
Interesting list, are we going to attack them all for being members of the same church Obama is associated with?

This section lists notable people known to have been raised in or current members of the United Church of Christ or its predecessor denominations.

* Daniel Akaka — U.S. Senator from Hawaii (Democrat)
* Max Baucus — U.S. Senator from Montana (Democrat)
* Julian Bond — Chair NAACP (2004–present)
* Walter Brueggemann — contemporary theologian, poet, and UCC minister, retired professor at Columbia Theological Seminary
* William Sloane Coffin — Late Presbyterian/UCC minister and activist; 'pastor, prophet, poet'; former Chaplain at Yale University and Senior Pastor of Riverside Church, New York City
* Common — Rapper, recording artist, member of Trinity UCC in Chicago
* Jon Corzine — Governor of New Jersey (Democrat)
* Howard Dean — Former Governor of Vermont (Democrat)
* Mark Fernald — Former New Hampshire State senator pg 10
* Donald Hall — United States US Poet Laureate <42>
* Mills Godwin — Former Governor of Virginia
* Bob Graham — Former U.S. Senator from Florida (Democrat)
* Judd Gregg — U.S. Senator from New Hampshire (Republican)
* Jim Jeffords — Former U.S. Senator from Vermont (Independent)
* Dean Koontz — American writer and author. Raised UCC, now is Catholic. <43>
* John Williamson Nevin — notable 19th-century theologian <44>
* Barack Obama — U.S. Senator, 2008 presidential candidate
* Robert Orr — Assistant Secretary General of the United Nations <45>
* H. Richard Niebuhr — notable 20th-century theologian
* Reinhold Niebuhr — notable 20th-century theologian
* Sally Pederson — former Lieutenant Governor of Iowa (Democrat)
* Leonard Pitts — Nationally syndicated Pulitzer prize–winning (2004) columnist
* Marilynne Robinson — Pulitzer prize-winning (2005) author of the novel Gilead
* Philip Schaff — notable 19th-century theologian <46>
* George Smathers — Democratic Senator from Florida <47>
* Max L. Stackhouse — public theologian and professor at Princeton Theological Seminary
* William "Bill" McKinney — President of Pacific School of Religion, since 1996
* Paul Tillich — notable 20th-century theologian
* Andrew Young — Civil rights leader, ordained UCC pastor, and former member of Congress, UN ambassador, and mayor of Atlanta, Georgi
* Jeri Kehn Thompson - wife of Law & Order star and former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate Fred Thompson
United Church of Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times
They just had this whole thing on Anderson Cooper. The major rant was on CHRISTMAS DAY! Can you imagine dressing up the kids and going to church on Christmas to hear THAT?!

That's something I can't respect them for doing -- subjecting their children to trash like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections