Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Barack being a member of the church didn't mean he attended services every week. I'm a member of a church but the last time i went to service there was 2 years ago. Just because he is a registered member didn't mean he went regularly.
And how many of us who attend church weekly really knows exactly what the minister, priest, or rabbi thinks on every single issue? Or how many of us ever cared to know every thing they think on every issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 04:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Senator Obama stated he has been a member of this church for more than 20 years.

He has stated, clearly, that the "Reverend" was, and is, his "Mentor". That the Reverend was, and is, his "Moral Compass"

He has indicated he has be "active" in this church.

He has indicated all of the above in an effort to dispel concerns that he was a practicing Muslim.

And now, with all of his statements noted above, he is trying to say that he did not know the positions this Reverend took?

I'm sorry but, I don't believe him.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,747 times
thats like saying obama should instituionalise his dotty uncle coz he says a few bad remarks

Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Senator Obama stated he has been a member of this church for more than 20 years.

He has stated, clearly, that the "Reverend" was, and is, his "Mentor". That the Reverend was, and is, his "Moral Compass"

He has indicated all of the above in an effort to dispel concerns that he was a practicing Muslim.

And now, with all of his statements noted above, he is trying to say that he did not know the positions this Reverend took?

And Hillary's mentor was a Communist -- so will she be bringing that up for people to examine? Hillary's mentor wrote the book for radicals that suggested the end justifies the means and that they are to take power no matter what they have to do to get it.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 PM

In fact --- Hillary's thesis was all on that. Don't you remember the right wingers were trying to get a copy of it?

Certainly if we can hold Obama accountable for things he never even wrote himself but for what someone he knows wrote, Hillary can be held accountable for anything she ever wrote herself and for what people she admired wrote.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:54 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,751,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

How do you know the reverend doesn't give good and sound advice concerning other matters?

Being active in a church doesn't mean you go to every single service or listen to every sermon. The church organizes a lot of activities like feeding the homeless, visiting prisoners etc that Barack could have been involved in.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:58 PM

510 posts, read 1,460,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Are you referring to a black church as a comedy club/concert? I sure hope not.

You "sure hope not"...why?

Did I say anything that is incorrect or am I not entitled to my opinion. I'm getting a mental image of a very confrontational Rev Otis Moss on that video where he flings his arms out to the sides and acts like a fool when I read your words for some reason. I'll try to shake that off before I continue...

As far as reverend Wright's sermons are concerned, that didn't seem like anything spiritual or religious to ME, that was political hate peppered with comedy and sexual innuendo.

I stand by what I said. I sure noticed you sure didn't jump up and defend the solemnity/sanctity of white churches...hmm?

This is just ONE MORE angel on how it's okay to dig at Whites and anything white, but if you say anything that could possibly be considered anti-black, even if it is only stabbing at Rev Wright and Rev Moss, some body's gonna try and make a big deal out of it.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:01 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Hahahahahaha oh man, that was funny. And also so true.

But I honestly don't know what is funnier; rev Wright or the fake outrage being displayed on this thread by some posters.

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And Hillary's mentor was a Communist --
That's nice -

This thread however is about Senator Obama. AND, he has made an issue, numerous times, about his association with this minister.

It is fair to question the influence this minister has had, and would have, on Senator Obama should he be successful with his candidacy for POTUS

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And how many of us who attend church weekly really knows exactly what the minister, priest, or rabbi thinks on every single issue? Or how many of us ever cared to know every thing they think on every issue.
As he stated in the interview on Friday, he attended on a regular base, only when his kids were born he didn't show up every week.
Does it matter what your rabbi, pastor, minister thinks about politics, you are going there for religion not for politics, but if they express their opinion in a way the rev. did, than it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections