Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,736 times

Advertisements

The Democrats did use to be the "more racist" party back in the old days but that changed pretty quick when the party moved to a more progressive position on race issues and most of the old racist Dixiecrats (Strom Thurmond and others) switched over to the Republican party as the New Deal coalition broke down. I think that the Republicans have done too much to establish themselves as the "party of the angry white man" for a majority of black people to start voting for the GOPs any time soon, although it could happen if the parties do another position-switch like back in the middle of the twentieth century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 04:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
The Democrats did use to be the "more racist" party back in the old days but that changed pretty quick when the party moved to a more progressive position on race issues and most of the old racist Dixiecrats (Strom Thurmond and others) switched over to the Republican party as the New Deal coalition broke down. I think that the Republicans have done too much to establish themselves as the "party of the angry white man" for a majority of black people to start voting for the GOPs any time soon, although it could happen if the parties do another position-switch like back in the middle of the twentieth century.
You're stuck in the sixties.

Which party is playing racial politics now, today? We all know it's the Dems.

If the GOP is the party of "angry white men", the Dems have become the party of "angry white women and angry black women and men"....

O gather round people, whatever your hue
The Democrat party has goodies for you
You gotta be patient,
Wait a decade or two
'Cause the times they are a channnnnnngin'!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,736 times
Well... you could say that the people back in the 60's fighting for equal rights and an end to Jim Crow were "playing racial politics," in the sense that their political goals were very race-related. My point was that I think that too many black people probably still associate the Republican party with the "Don't bus no coloreds to ma school" picket lines, the Southern Strategy and things of that nature for there to be a big shift in voting patterns any time in the near future. I don't think modern day Republicans are racist on average, but most of their policies are geared towards the benefit of the affluent and wealthy rather than the poor and working class (of whom black people make up a disproportionate percentage, although of course there's also many rich black people and poor white people or poor members of other races), so it wouldn't be a good match at this time. Plus I usually hear the "I'm not a racist but..." statements coming more often from mouths with wings on the right rather than the left.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:40 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
Will Rev. Al, Jesse Jackson, and other black leaders expect prominent appointments if Obama is elected? If he doesn't deliver, what will the fallout be in the black community? If he does deliver and makes clearly race-based appointments, what will the fallout on Main Street be?

Despite his claims, he hasn't made the inroads necessary to truly be a color blind and uniting president. This past week was harmful to that endeavor.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
My point was that I think that too many black people probably still associate the Republican party with the "Don't bus no coloreds to ma school" picket lines, the Southern Strategy and things of that nature for there to be a big shift in voting patterns any time in the near future.
Unless the Dems nominate Hillary. Then African-Americans will sit out the election.

Quote:
I don't think modern day Republicans are racist on average, but most of their policies are geared towards the benefit of the affluent and wealthy rather than the poor and working class (of whom black people make up a disproportionate percentage, although of course there's also many rich black people and poor white people or poor members of other races), so it wouldn't be a good match at this time. Plus I usually hear the "I'm not a racist but..." statements coming more often from mouths with wings on the right rather than the left.
1. Maybe some Republicans want everyone to be rich.
2. You don't work at a university.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Will Rev. Al, Jesse Jackson, and other black leaders expect prominent appointments if Obama is elected? If he doesn't deliver, what will the fallout be in the black community? If he does deliver and makes clearly race-based appointments, what will the fallout on Main Street be?
Your questions are irrelevant. Obama's orgnization has been pretty savvy so far, and certainly more so than Clinton's. The Richardson endorsement certainly hasn't hurt...

Quote:
Despite his claims, he hasn't made the inroads necessary to truly be a color blind and uniting president. This past week was harmful to that endeavor.
The past week was ginned up by Clinton sappers and talk radio. His speech addressed the issue inspirationally. It's up to America to rise to the level of adult discourse on the issue...

Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Your questions are irrelevant. Obama's orgnization has been pretty savvy so far, and certainly more so than Clinton's. The Richardson endorsement certainly hasn't hurt...

The past week was ginned up by Clinton sappers and talk radio. His speech addressed the issue inspirationally. It's up to America to rise to the level of adult discourse on the issue...
No, they're not irrelevant. Politicos don't put it on the line for particular candidates out of the goodness of their hearts. They want something. If Richardson thought that Hillary was going to win the nomination, he would have endorsed her with the expectation that there would be a place for him in her cabinet, as there was for him in her husband's. You actually believed him when he said he decided to endorse Obama cuz he was nice to him at a debate?

Black voters are overwhelmingly supporting Obama because they figure their prospects will be better with a black man in the White House. Young people are somehow expecting excitement and big change. And if he doesn't deliver...?

Old 03-21-2008, 05:57 PM

775 posts, read 579,260 times
Young people and their parents SHOULD expect change when Obama, in return, for community service, will make sure they get a college education. It's a great, sensible idea.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flindras View Post
Young people and their parents SHOULD expect change when Obama, in return, for community service, will make sure they get a college education. It's a great, sensible idea.
Indeed. One that's been around for a very long time. Ever hear of AmeriCorps or Teach for America? (Not to mention the Peace Corps.)

Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No, they're not irrelevant. Politicos don't put it on the line for particular candidates out of the goodness of their hearts. They want something. If Richardson thought that Hillary was going to win the nomination, he would have endorsed her with the expectation that there would be a place for him in her cabinet, as there was for him in her husband's. You actually believed him when he said he decided to endorse Obama cuz he was nice to him at a debate?
Why of course Richardson wants something: he wants to be with the winner! I also remember that Richardson was the one who defended Hillary when all those big bad men were ganging up on her....don't you?

Quote:
Black voters are overwhelmingly supporting Obama because they figure their prospects will be better with a black man in the White House. Young people are somehow expecting excitement and big change. And if he doesn't deliver...?
You have a talent for posting that which is patently obvious.

Suggestion: why not join us in supporting Obama? That way, you can do something to help African-Americans achieve equality, and cement the youth vote for the Democrats. Then if Obama "doesn't deliver" (whatever that means) you can say "I told you so" to everyone.

Come on. Trade in that Clinton robotic walk for an Obama swagger.

Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections