Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 07:40 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Tell you what, if The Cheeto does pull off re-election, I will eat crow.

BUT, if he doesn't run, or more importantly, does run and loses, I am going to laugh and laugh and laugh and wait for all the cult members excuses....
I think there were two reasons he won, people hated Hillary more and people hated the “establishment”. They saw him as an outsider.

I’m not sure that will happen again. I’m not even sure he’ll run but with his ego, maybe. If the Dems put up someone decent, he won’t win.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:56 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Recall, it is an 'opinion' piece, so the 'fake news' is not applicable.

It was interesting reading. It does make the point that Mr. Trump would have to duplicate his wins in the three 'rust belt' states (for the electoral votes, of course), as well as retake Florida.
And FL is a hard state to call. According to the NYT he only beat Hillary by a tad over 100,000 votes. For the rust belt states I pay a lot of attention to the reporting of Salena Zito...she's long had her finger on the pulse of those states.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That might happen only because the Left will have sabotaged the country to spite Trump. The Left has so much hate, they will cut off their own noses to spite the face.
So much irony in such a horrible post. Trump and Repubs are the ones sabotaging this country and handing it over to Russia.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I think there were two reasons he won, people hated Hillary more and people hated the “establishment”. They saw him as an outsider.

I’m not sure that will happen again. I’m not even sure he’ll run but with his ego, maybe. If the Dems put up someone decent, he won’t win.
I think to a certain extent that is part of the cause. A lot of the "Never Hillary" people either voted for Trump or 3rd party. If you recall, in some states that Trump won, there were more 3rd party votes than Trump's margin of win.

Beyond that though, I think Trump energized something in some demographics- causing those who would not usually bother voting (like my husband) to vote for him. His base seemed to view him as a knight in shining gold armor who would save us all from the evil clutches of Hillary, Obama, the establishments and her deleted emails. Most Trump supporters I know, are still happy with their vote.

Next time around, not only do the Dems need a candidate beyond reproach, but they need to be appealing enough to win back many of those who went 3rd party. Alternatively, those that went 3rd party need to see that if they are to make a two-party protest vote, they may well still end up with Trump.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Only when it doesn't fit in with the conservative agenda
Ohhh, that's right ,it is only an "OPINION" piece though .

Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Here's an interesting opinion piece written by a Democratic political strategist -

"In 2016, Trump capitalized on this changing political environment. He consolidated the growing number of angry voters who felt let down by the people and institutions that control power in the country. Trump’s support from these voters is personal, not ideological. That explains their willingness to stick with him despite his failures of leadership."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.191eff7f5f63

BTW, a lot of us disagree with the failure of leadership meme you libs like to throw around. You pretend that the GOP's failure to push through Obamacare light is a failure when many of us are content to watch it implode on it's own.
This is the kind of discussion that is based purely on feelings and emotions.

Who knows what will happen in three years. Who knows who is running as a Democrat in 3 years.

Nobody can tell.

Aren't conservatives the first to remind us how wrong lal the pundits were.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:10 AM

828 posts, read 691,234 times
I don't even think Trump will run again.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:13 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
I don't even think Trump will run again.
He reportedly doesn't really like the job, compared to his 'old life'. However, he does seem to really love campaigning and hosting rallies... so who knows.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:20 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
He reportedly doesn't really like the job, compared to his 'old life'. However, he does seem to really love campaigning and hosting rallies... so who knows.
The rallies stoke his ego.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:21 AM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The Dems' got no one. They will trot out identity politics black, Latino, women and (possibly) LBGTQ candidates and see which one sticks.
True. They have no bench due to massive loss of power, state, local, Congress, this decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections