Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I mentioned this in an earlier post. I think that is what scares people more than the message itself. it gives the image of the "Angry black Man" and people don't know what to do with it.

It may give the Rev. the image of the "ABM" but that doesn't transcend down to Barack Obama.

Yet another video coming out about Obama's church... and the high-fiving of Rev. Wright...

YouTube - UCC President Rev. John Thomas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
If you had studied black history, you would see how the past affects the present.
I know about everything there is to know about black history. What I don't understand is why after the nation is supposed to have fought a war to free the slaves and they are given one opportunity after another that other people do not get, why are they still thought to need help. There comes a time when people need to start helping themselves.

I watched the basketball teams play this weekend and wondered what would happen if the teams playing had such a high percentage of white players. They would have to be making room for blacks, but it is all right to only have black players.

It is also of interest to me that a people who scream prejudice have such a high precentage of voting for one candidate. An unprejudiced people would have percentages more equally distributed. The policies of Hillary Clinton are just as advantageous to black people as Obama's.

Yes, there is prejudice in America, but it is blacks being prejudiced against whites more than whites against blacks. Seems to me like they don't like the other Americans and don't want to join in bringing America together. The only together they seem to be interested in is to have all Americans doing things their way. I like the way it is being done now. It is not perfect, but it is the best country in the world.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:15 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
why are they still thought to need help. There comes a time when people need to start helping themselves.

I watched the basketball teams play this weekend and wondered what would happen if the teams playing had such a high percentage of white players. They would have to be making room for blacks, but it is all right to only have black players.
Huh? Can't it just be that the players on the team the best at the school? How would you know if the players had more white players that room would have to be made for black players?

See? you mention that it seems that blacks don't like Americans and don't want to come together, but you start right off by inserting race into a situation where it shouldn't be.

Who doesn't want to bring America together? There are problems on both sides, one side of the scale is not heavier.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Huh? Can't it just be that the players on the team the best at the school? How would you know if the players had more white players that room would have to be made for black players?

See? you mention that it seems that blacks don't like Americans and don't want to come together, but you start right off by inserting race into a situation where it shouldn't be.

Who doesn't want to bring America together? There are problems on both sides, one side of the scale is not heavier.
That is the point I was trying to make. There are a lot of companies that have to hire black people because of our laws where there are more qualified people of other races that would love to have the jobs. It is the white male in our society that should be screaming prejudice.

I believe that one side of the scale is much heavier and it is time that changed, but I don't think that change will come if Obama is president. That the black people should not vote for mostly only one race and put pressure on other black people to do the same is exactly the point I was trying to make. Such a high percentage of white people are not voting for one race. Not all hispanics are voting for just one candidate, their votes are even spread between the parties.

I was not the one who put prejudice into this thread, it was already there and I was just answering it.

Evidently you are not old enough to remember when schools, companies, colleges, etc. had to take a certain percentage of blacks, even if there were more qualified people applying. Test scores used to be the determining factor for allowing students into a college. Why shouldn't the ball teams go by the same rules and have the same percentage on their ball teams as the makeup of the college or school.

Last edited by NCN; 03-17-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Quote:
Like NASCAR and Hockey?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,747 times
you fought a war to free slaves but they didnt get a vote till 1960s and MLK had to go win that same war again.

Put one black man as Prez and see how effective a uniter he can be and then we move on. Put Hillary and we see the same failed AA you complained so much about. HillBilly doesnt offer you better solutions.

PS. this is the first time a black man has gotten more than 10% white vote, so Obama has done something right by even running in this race. and dont get me started on the latino vote for HillBilly

Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
That is the point I was trying to make. There are a lot of companies that have to hire black people because of our laws where there are more qualified people of other races that would love to have the jobs. It is the white male in our society that should be screaming prejudice.

I believe that one side of the scale is much heavier and it is time that changed, but I don't think that change will come if Obama is president. That the black people should not vote for mostly only one race and put pressure on other black people to do the same is exactly the point I was trying to make. Such a high percentage of white people are not voting for one race. Not all hispanics are voting for just one candidate, their votes are even spread between the parties.

I was not the one who put prejudice into this thread, it was already there and I was just answering it.
What about companies and hiring managers who may still harbor predjudices against certain races? I'm sure there are many people who would like to have those jobs as well. The discussion of differnces and feelings have to be made on both sides in order to eliminate what you mentioned in your last post and what I mentioned here. The jobs should be given to the best person for the job but we both know it doesn't happen that way all the time. Everyone screams, just not white men. However they can be screaming a little louder now since such dramatic steps have been taken to help change mindsets and level the playing field.

Also the high percentage of the black vote in MS doesn't equate to all of the black vote around the country. You can't assume that most blacks are voting for Obama and that others are getting pressure from others. That seems to be a myth the media is helping perpertuate and a stereotype that some people have.

Oh btw I didn't say that you inserted race into the thread, I was speaking of the individual post

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Evidently you are not old enough to remember when schools, companies, colleges, etc. had to take a certain percentage of blacks, even if there were more qualified people applying. Test scores used to be the determining factor for allowing students into a college. Why shouldn't the ball teams go by the same rules and have the same percentage on their ball teams as the makeup of the college or school.
Is that still going on today? you spoke about a game you were watching this weekend. If I am too young to remember that, then it should mean that its not happening anymore and that the team you were watching was made up of the best the school had to offer.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:20 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Quote:
Bad analogy.

Evidently YOU are not old enough to remember when schools, companies, colleges, etc. would not allow blacks to apply AT ALL.

If you are gonna whine to the younger generation about your past where black students were given some preferential treatments at formerly all-white institutions... you have to accept the fact that the times you were too young to remember these were all white instititions. That seems worse to me. And it was really not that long ago. When did you go to college?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
NCN

The point I was trying to make is that some black people and I believe some white people who want to be politically correct are voting for Obama just because he is black and that is the wrong reason to vote for anybody.

That would be like me voting for Clinton because she is a woman or my husband voting for McCain because he served in Viet Nam. We should be choosing the best person for president without thinking of gender, age, or race.

I find it hard that anybody would choose Clinton or Obama under those circumstances. What if the delegates choose Edwards because he would be better than either of the candidates. That is possible, because that is the purpose of the convention. It is to choose the candidate who would make the best president and have the best chance to win the right to put forth their platform. I love that the USA is complicated like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections