Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,676,691 times

Advertisements

Like I said, I don't hear ANYONE talking about this (I mean out in the REAL world) but people on this forum. I don't care what his Preacher says, I hope he doesn't care what my Preacher says. It's the "Scandal" of the week just to generate some media ratings. All of the news mediums you mentioned have to create "scandals" out of everything to generate ratings. They have 24 hours to fill, after all. In reality, and in the end, no one will care about this two weeks from now. I already don't care, I'm still supporting Barack Obama. Our attention span as a nation is just not that great. Count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,375,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Like I said, I don't hear ANYONE talking about this (I mean out in the REAL world) but people on this forum. I don't care what his Preacher says, I hope he doesn't care what my Preacher says. It's the "Scandal" of the week just to generate some media ratings. All of the news mediums you mentioned have to create "scandals" out of everything to generate ratings. They have 24 hours to fill, after all. In reality, and in the end, no one will care about this two weeks from now. I already don't care, I'm still supporting Barack Obama. Our attention span as a nation is just not that great. Count on it.
In other words, you don't know and you don't care.

Heckuva philosophy.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,811,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
You're right. It's not in the news today. There are much bigger worries in the world - like an economy collapsing. It's not on the top stories of the AP or Reuters - not even on the second page. It wasn't on the evening news. I haven't checked Fox news. Maybe they are still covering it?

It will probably be back tomorrow after Obama gives his speech on race.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,913,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I think the Rev Wright/Obama story is akin to Kerry being "swiftboated". I predict he is done. It would have been even sweeter had he obtained the nomination and this racists' ranting come out in the general election.
It's nothing like Kerry getting "swiftboated." It's also nothing like the Dean scream. Those were both criticism of an action (however insignificant) taken directly by the candidate; whether it was a silly scream, or discarding one's medals in protest and briefly alienating his veteran comrades.

In this case, it is the preacher's words and actions that are controversial, not Obama's, and the problem is the link between them and the fact that the preacher's rhetoric is so unabashedly extreme. The second-hand fallout is a perceived lack of judgement by Obama to associate with the church, or a fear that he may harbor the same thoughts as the preacher. The latter will definitely go away, as there is nothing to support it -- it's just typical fear mongering. The former (judgement) fallout might stick a bit, but not approaching Clinton's war vote, IMO.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You're right. It's not in the news today. There are much bigger worries in the world - like an economy collapsing. It's not on the top stories of the AP or Reuters - not even on the second page. It wasn't on the evening news. I haven't checked Fox news. Maybe they are still covering it?

It will probably be back tomorrow after Obama gives his speech on race.
It was featured on Rush Limbaugh again today, as part of his "get out the vote for Hillary" campaign.

I see very little chance the story is even on the radar by this Sunday's political shows.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,676,682 times
It did not take his preacher to tell us he doesn't like America. Unpatriotic actions by himself and his wife had already done the job about that if people watched and listened. His whole campaign is about wanting to change America. I just kept wanting to know what he wanted to change it to and what the results will be. I don't think I would like the changes Obama would make. I knew that already.

Now let's be fair about this situation. I can't even believe I am saying this. I have a lot of friends that have different beliefs than I do. I am a very tolerant person that does not require that all my friends think just as I do and I don't spend a lot of time trying to get them to change their minds.

Preachers do their own preaching and if they are lead by the Holy Spirit they get it right. It may not be what we want to hear, but I would never be a person to tell them to preach anything else. Like most churchgoers, I sometimes hear things that I don't agree with but I don't feel responsible to go tell the preacher what he should say. God is very capable of managing his own people. I do not hold Obama responsible for what his preacher said. But I do hold him responsible for what he says and how he conducts himself. He is not likely to get my vote.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
His whole campaign is about wanting to change America. I just kept wanting to know what he wanted to change it to and what the results will be. I don't think I would like the changes Obama would make. I knew that already.
No, I imagine you wouldn't.

Quote:
Now let's be fair about this situation. I can't even believe I am saying this. I have a lot of friends that have different beliefs than I do. I am a very tolerant person that does not require that all my friends think just as I do and I don't spend a lot of time trying to get them to change their minds.
Just wondering, why do you feel it is necessary to tell people how tolerant of a person you are? Usually that statement is a red flag for a very intolerant view that is about to be expressed...

Quote:
Preachers do their own preaching and if they are lead by the Holy Spirit they get it right. It may not be what we want to hear, but I would never be a person to tell them to preach anything else. Like most churchgoers, I sometimes hear things that I don't agree with but I don't feel responsible to go tell the preacher what he should say. God is very capable of managing his own people. I do not hold Obama responsible for what his preacher said. But I do hold him responsible for what he says and how he conducts himself. He is not likely to get my vote.
Well, I was wrong about the red flag. I can agree with the above. As a Catholic, churches with an evangelical "preacher" always make me a little uncomfortable. But I am not a man of the cloth, Reverend, Minister, etc. I also would not attempt to tell anyone what to preach. Nor do I profess to understand or identify with everything that is being preached by other churches. I'd say if Obama is anything like myself, he's not blindly following the instructions of any man, preacher or not.

So far, I've been impressed enough with his conduct and what he says to vote for and support him. What his former preacher says has not changed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections