Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
The Black turnout was low for the 2016 elections. It went from 66% to 59%.

Both the Black and Hispanic voting blocs, which the Dems depend on, declined from 2012.

Voter turnout dipped in 2016, led by decline among blacks | TheHill
There were various articles addressing this after the election citing polls showing that a % of black voters had a bad impression of her from her bitter 2008 primary fight with President Obama.

The other factor of course could be population concentrations in states that were easily going to be won by Hillary would typically have decent numbers of black voters and there just isn't the impetus to get out and vote when your state is going to be won easily like say New York as opposed to a swing state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:13 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
voters:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/u...y-alabama.html

This is the New York Times headline and it's totally fine with them and yet they accuse Trump of being a racist or white supremacist because (they claim) he tries to rally white voters.

-black- voters, please tell me how that is not a racist headline???? hypocrites.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um it seems you don't know that race relations are relations that occur between different (one or more) racial groups.

For example, black and white which is two groups but correct my math if I added incorrectly.

But according to you my opinion on the relations doesn't matter because of my race even though I'm one of the two groups.

Well I'm soooooo sorry your excellency for daring to voice my thoughts on a topic that only you in the great wisdom of your pigmentation are able to grasp the complexity of.

I mean sure, I could look at silly measures of things like education, poverty and so forth but what good would that do? I'm just a silly white boy, I couldn't possibly understand what they mean due to my melanin deficit. Woe is me.

Oh please, please grace us with more of your racially superior insights as we are but white and couldn't possibly understand a topic like police brutality.

P.S. Do a forum search on my user name and "Laquan McDonald", maybe you'll learn one day to weigh the content of a mans character and strength of argument as opposed to his skin color. Just a little dream I suppose.
Wow.
And here I've long thought you to be one of the more rational and fair-minded posters on this forum.

Ah, well. At some point everyone reveals their true selves don't they?

Just wow.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, telling someone they can't understand stuff because of their race deserves an equal response.

Seems both of you are incapable of discussing something and when shown proof that shows your full of it declare some sort of magical pigment based insight (sounds pretty racist to me but then again we already knew that) that invalidates facts or reality.

Oh and you have a really super duper weekend sport....
FYI - I cannot understand what it is like to be white or what your issues are because I'm not white.

That is reality. And racism implies an inherent belief of the superiority/inferiority of a group of people over another based on their ethnicity or sociological race. I don't think white people are inferior to me or superior to me. However, I do believe that all ethnicities and groups of people experience different things and have different issues due to the sociological concept of race in this country. I think it is sad if you don't believe that.

From my comments earlier in the thread; whereas I noted the "race relations issues" that blacks have been advocating for since the late 1970s and them being the same issues since that time period, do you honestly believe that "race relations" have improved, then gotten worse on those issues - police brutality, educational quality, white flight (brought up by someone else), racial bias in the criminal justice system/courts - do you think these thinks have changed since 1978-1979?

If not, what are you basing your view of "race relations" on. What used to be called "the race problem" has always centered on the problems of racial bias/racism and the issues of black America. Again, the issues haven't changed since 1978-1979 so the idea to me that you or others think they improved, then got worse due to Obama or some other reason, is rather odd and silly to me.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:45 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
-black- voters, please tell me how that is not a racist headline???? hypocrites.
It is a stupid headline IMO but not racist. People today want to call everything racist when its not.

I think its stupid because I'm sure many non-black voters were "rallied" by Obama since a lot of Americans like Obama and would go out to see him and be excited if he came to their city/town.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:06 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is a stupid headline IMO but not racist. People today want to call everything racist when its not.

I think its stupid because I'm sure many non-black voters were "rallied" by Obama since a lot of Americans like Obama and would go out to see him and be excited if he came to their city/town.
,,,,,,Not me

Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
But then I wouldn't cross the street to see George Bush

Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Quote:
On the above, I did want to note that ITA with the underlined.

I find it very funny that many whites think blacks need to "work harder." Our history as a demographic shows we are probably the hardest working group in this country and unfortunately until the modern era our hard work never gave us anything of significance. We still as a demographic are hard working, but we need to work "smarter" not "harder."

Any/all programs created for poor people in this country have primarily benefitted whites. I think it is pretty odd that those race focused whites don't want to admit this, yet they are always speaking about their poor ancestors. Guess what....your poor ancestors benefitted from social welfare programs and were much more likely to than blacks since blacks were shut out from them until really the 1960s in many places. Blacks couldn't even get mortgages from a bank just because they were black. I agree with Heavenese that many of you don't know anything about the modern era history of our country when it comes to race. That is also why you think "race relations" have gotten worse when they haven't. Many of you just didn't pay attention to race relations or the issues of black America until a black president was on TV in your face. You don't want to think about it. For me, that is fine, you should stop thinking about it, change the channel, stop reading articles about race that make you upset.

Will note, I also do this in my personal life. Whites who are racist don't bother me at all (I mostly pity them and their ignorance) and I don't put those idiotic whites perspectives onto the whole of American white citizens, because that's stupid. As stated a community - even our national community - is made up of individuals. Most individuals don't think about race relations or care about the issues of other people because they are too busy living their lives. I always encourage other black people to do the same. Stop caring about white people. Being jealous of their wealth and thinking the government owes you something is not going to make you wealthier. Your individual actions alone can do that and individual actions do include taking advantage of programs your qualify for and making sure you network with all types of people to achieve the types of financial and career goals you so desire.
I hear ya. Of course I believe we talked about these things before. Personally I don't see black people as a community will ever be, quote unquote, free without government help and set asides. Individually yeah, but as a group we need specific policy and resources going into black areas. As it stands right now, the legacy of racist policies of the past are still very much in affect. So we need hardcore policy to force that legacy aside.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:

liberals already call everything racist today, why not this?

Id be far more excited to see Obama leave my city/town if he came here.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Will The Obama use his folksy "Black voice", or will he use his "Moral Superiority Professor Voice"?

Hillary and Barack ..... the Gift that keeps on giving.
Obama has the voice of someone with reason and intelligence who calmed us in times of need. When he was degraded by people he said nothing which is what a president should do. Trump, on the other hand can't take any criticism and goes on the attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections