Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 12:29 PM

37,848 posts, read 41,209,489 times

Advertisements

I'm a little late on this but I don't know a single person who changed their vote from Dem to Rep or vice versa because of something they read online during 2016 regardless if the post came from one of the candidates, parties, big donors, PACs or the Russians. Do you? Do you know of any studies where they actually measured the success of these social media posts in changing people's minds?

I'm just reading about what Facebook turned in to Congress. Who had to read Facebook to find out Hillary Clinton was stumbling around at the 9/11 event? "What impact will this stumble have on #Hillary's campaign?" it read. I saw it on TV as it happened. You? And the Russian posts promoting the "Not My President" anti-Trump rally in NYC. They didn't organize it. They just posted about it.

"One ad promoted a Nov. 12 anti-Trump rally in New York City, titled "Not My President." Large anti-Trump rallies actually did take place around the country that day in major American cities. That doesn't mean the Russian accounts planned the events, but rather that they were piggybacking on existing protests and promoting them to like-minded people."

Lawmakers release troves of Facebook ads showing Russia's cyber intrusion - Chicago Tribune

So they got like-minded people revved up. How does getting "like-minded" people to do or say anything, change anything?

I can't even name a single CD poster who changed their mind from Hillary to Trump or vice versa after any threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 04:55 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,666,218 times
yes i do, why do you ask?

do you think nobody did? if so here is a little news for ya.

i directly know a couple who changed their vote based on a viral and very fake story about hillary they completely believed. and they made the error of spreading the lie and trying to sway others.

i had to sit through a long and awful dinner. I tried to explain to them that it was not correct, but they figured (and i quote) "Facebook would have deleted it or banned the user" if it were not real...

what do you do when faced with that kind of logic. did it change the election results ? i dont know. but i do know i am sick of telling this story to right wingers who think it could never happen...

Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,724,404 times
Perhaps even worse than some people changing their vote is the way that stuff in social media helped to entrench the division in this country. How much more strident, in their opinion of the other side, are people now, as opposed to 18 months ago? Much, much more so.

I have to say, in my own case, and as mentioned by several friends - the stuff being pushed in our faces time and time again, every time we got online, only made us dislike the other side more and more. The vote was only part of the damage that stuff did.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 AM

6,273 posts, read 5,104,852 times
I didn't vote for the "other side" because of FB or even vote for any of the Republican faces during the primaries because of FB. But I did take a second look at John Kasich after I saw a video of him for the first time disrespecting a police officer.

In 2008 Gov Kasich was pulled over and ticketed by an officer for passing too close to an emergency vehicle. Three years later he was giving a presentation to the Ohio EPA, referred to the incident, and called the officer an idiot. When he was called out on it, he privately apologized to the officer, and the apology was accepted.

After confirming on a few other sites that the FB video and what occurred was legit, I filed Kasichs actions away as one part of a puzzle I was trying to put together re: the candidates who were standing in front of me. There might have been other posts as well but that's the one that really comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTf_qyRXhxk

Old 11-08-2017, 11:30 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,429,753 times
Well I don't vote straight DEM or REP, I vote individually. And I don't use Facebook and haven't voted on anything since 2016.

I guess that doesn't answer your question though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections