Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The GOP should find a way to run someone else at this point.

I have no idea if the allegations are true, but it reeks of DNC dirty politics. The filthy Democrats stole an Alaska Senate Seat for 6 years by ginning up false accusations about Ted Murkowski. Nobody was ever held accountable for that even though Murkowski was ultimately exonerated.

Democrats are vile creatures who will say and do anything to obtain and maintain power. The national leadership of that party has zero principles whatsoever and cannot be trusted. Anytime there is any smear against a Republican politician one month before an election, any person with a functioning brain should be highly skeptical given the DNC's track record of corruption, lies, and dirty tricks.
Most of the sane GOP wants nothing to do with this guy. It's probably better for them to lose a seat for six years than to become the party of pedophiles.

Was it Moore ' s people who did the fake Bernie Bernstein fake wapo robocall? Classy.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:08 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
And another poll with Jones ahead. Even Fox news!

Fox News Poll: Jones beating Moore by 8 points
Quote:
A new Fox News poll released Thursday shows Democrat Doug Jones leading by 8 points in the Alabama Senate race in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against his opponent, GOP candidate Roy Moore.

The poll, conducted Nov. 13 through 15, shows that 50 percent of likely voters surveyed in deep-red Alabama and 49 percent of registered voters said they would vote for Jones. In comparison, 42 percent of likely voters surveyed and 40 percent of registered voters would vote for Moore.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Alabama’s senior U.S. Senator, Richard Shelby, is calling on the R state committee to revoke Roy Moore’s nomination. If that were to happen, any votes cast for Roy Moore would be invalidated and the GOP could endorse a write-in candidate.

Alabama’s Senior Senator Says State GOP Should Revoke Moore Nomination – Talking Points Memo
You know, if Senator Shelby manages to pull this off, the Republicans might win the seat. Maybe that's the plan all along - revoke the nomination at the last minute and plop someone we don't know in the seat.

I agree with those who noted that the Republicans really don't want Moore. And never did. People are threatening to vote Democrat simply because they don't want Moore. But they don't really want to vote (D).

Lisa Murkowski (AK-R) pulled it off, so it can be done.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:32 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
I don't think a write-in is going to happen.
The last I heard, the Alabama GOP Central Committee decided to stick with Moore after a very long debate.

Their endorsement doesn't eliminate the possibility of a write-in candidate winning, but it sure lessens the chances of a write-in win, as the CC is the official voice of the Alabama Republican voters, and the voters selected Moore.

Moore won't drop out. So there we have it.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Was it Moore ' s people who did the fake Bernie Bernstein fake wapo robocall? Classy.
Lovely bit of folksy, down-home anti-semitism there.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You know, if Senator Shelby manages to pull this off, the Republicans might win the seat. Maybe that's the plan all along - revoke the nomination at the last minute and plop someone we don't know in the seat.

I agree with those who noted that the Republicans really don't want Moore. And never did. People are threatening to vote Democrat simply because they don't want Moore. But they don't really want to vote (D).

Lisa Murkowski (AK-R) pulled it off, so it can be done.

Murkowski was a different situation. The Murkowski name is basically like gold in Alaska, nothing like that is in Alabama. Not to mention Murkowski has appeal across party lines in Alaska. Neither state has many Democrats, but Democrats to have a higher floor in Alabama then they do in Alaska and no one in Alabama will have the same appeal across party lines as Murkowski. A big reason she was able to win is the Democrat in that race got 23% of the vote. That simply won't happen in Alabama.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I cannot believe that Alabama would ever allow a Democrat to win. I guess it all depends on whose base is more riled up. Right now ~ it seems like Roy's base is likely to turn out to defend their middlin' moron.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,565,672 times
I don't trust these polls that have Jones ahead of Moore. I think the polls for this race may be similar to that of the last presidential contest. People polled in 2016 were too embarrassed and ashamed to admit they would vote for Trump and misled the pollsters. I think a similar effect is happening with Moore. I also think this phenomena is likely stronger in a state such as Alabama for Moore as was the case nationally with Trump. While many men tied to sexual harassment may going down all over, Moore and Trump might be the exceptions. Many of their voters are indifferent to sexual harassment as it is not an important matter to them.

Last edited by MMS02760; 11-18-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-18-2017, 10:47 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I don't trust these polls that have Jones ahead of Moore. I think the polls for this race may be similar to that of the last presidential contest. People polled in 2016 were too embarrassed and ashamed to admit they would vote for trump and mislead the pollsters. I think a similar effect is happening with Moore. I also think this phenomena is likely stronger in a state such as Alabama for Moore as was the case nationally with Trump. While many men tied to sexual harassment may going down all over, Moore and Trump might be the exceptions. Many of their voters are indifferent to sexual harassment as it is not an important matter to them.
Agreed, it's a lot closer than one may think, given the demographics, political spectrum and relatively few swing voters in the electorate.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:29 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
How many polls that show Jones ahead of Moore have him ahead by a number outside the margin of error?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections