Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

Yup I said it. That's the way I feel about it. I think it is being way overblown, and what I'm seeing is that a lot of people that were unsure or still sort of uncomfortable about Obama are now latching on to this as a way to justify not liking him and therefore not voting for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I agree, it seems that the people who are making the biggest deal about this were never going to vote for him anyway.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
What about those who were gung-ho 100% FOR Obama, and are now disillusioned? Were they also looking for an excuse or easy out? I have noticed quite a few posters who were avid supporters, but are supporters no more.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
j33

I do not necessarily trust the stated intentions of anonymous posters on Internet talk-boards and take all opinions stated on this thread with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people with their own duplicitous agendas and I haven't the time nor inclination to discern or definitively state who is who.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I can only cite one example: my wife's grandmother, a die hard Democrat, Jewish descent, was gung ho for Obama before hearing about the Wright controversy, and now is switching her alligeance to Hillary Clinton. She said that if the brokered convention results in Obama's nomination, she will sit out the election, rather than vote for her.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I do not necessarily trust the stated intentions of anonymous posters on Internet talk-boards and take all opinions stated on this thread with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people with their own duplicitous agendas and I haven't the time nor inclination to discern or definitively state who is who.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I agree, it seems that the people who are making the biggest deal about this were never going to vote for him anyway.
You were quite comfortable jumping to the fairly difinitive conclusion you posted regarding other posters' intentions, and then you turn around and say that you don't trust those same posters' opinions and take them with a grain of salt. So which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
j33

As long as we are sharing anecdotal stories, my sister was a registered republican up until this last election cycle and is now a precinct captain campaigning for Obama while trying to go to graduate school. The Wright controversy meant nothing to her and did not sway her opinions of the man one iota.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yup I said it. That's the way I feel about it. I think it is being way overblown, and what I'm seeing is that a lot of people that were unsure or still sort of uncomfortable about Obama are now latching on to this as a way to justify not liking him and therefore not voting for him.

If it is overblown he had a big hand in making it so.

I would've been much more impressed with him if he'd simply said Rev Wright was a friend and he didn't agree with what he'd said.

As it is his speech struck me as just more CYA political BS.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I would've been much more impressed with him if he'd simply said Rev Wright was a friend and he didn't agree with what he'd said.
Maybe I saw a different speech, I don't think so, but that's pretty much what he said.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If it is overblown he had a big hand in making it so.

As it is his speech struck me as just more CYA political BS.
If one were to vastly oversimplify the speech, that's what he said. If you think that speech was just more typical CYA political BS, I don't know what type of politics you have been following. I can't think of another politician to respond so honestly and intelligently to a situation in recent memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections